Prolapse Rectum Bull Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

Lim-flex

Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with a bull calf having a prolapsed rectum? What did you do to fix it? thanks

Age of calf? Diet? Is the rectum always out, or goes in and out? If out constantly very long, tissue can be damaged and needs surgery.
I'd also be looking for a cause. As read below, usually results from straining from some cause such as certain feeds, stone blocking urination (more in steers), parasites irritating the rectum, etc.

http://chinchillavet.com.au/ServicesInf ... fault.aspx

PROLAPSED RECTUM

Prolapsed rectum is the protrusion of the mucous membrane of the rectum through the anus and may occur in cattle of any age and in both sexes.

Cause

Cause of this condition generally are associated with excessive straining due to irritation of the rectal mucosa, vaginal irritation in females or straining because of a urinary tract blockage by urinary calculi. Irritation of the rectal mucosa can be caused by coccidiosis and scouring, and can be seen when cattle are on high quality diets and intensive conditions such as feedlots and highly stocked lush pastures.

Treatment

Treatment of mild rectal prolapses may need only stopping the straining by epidural anaesthesia, applying mild pressure with the palm of the hand to reduce the prolapse then inserting a purse string suture around the animal's anus to retain the tissue while the swelling subsides.

Prolapses that are longer standing, large or badly traumatized will require your veterinarian to perform a mucosal resection operation again under epidural anaesthesia to correct the condition.

He is about 4 months old and he was in a pasture with several cows we had come in heat at the same time. I know he was working overtime trying to ride everyone of them. My vet says over eating hay at this time of the year causes to much dry matter to be passed out the back end, plus the stess of riding the larger cows. After two days of pushing it back in, about 20 times, it has stayed in for over 12 hours. We put him on a creep feed and mom diet only to try to loosen his stool. He seems to have some swelling around his rectum, hopefully that will go down with time. Any other suggestions?

Lim-flex":2i29azhd said:
Any other suggestions?

If it is hay, the protein content must be low. You might try a tub supplement or something else to get the protein level up. If your cow pies are "pies" the protein level the cattle are getting is okay. If they are throwing out dry clumps, the cattle need more protein.

Lim-flex":38e3hhn3 said:
He is about 4 months old and he was in a pasture with several cows we had come in heat at the same time. I know he was working overtime trying to ride everyone of them. My vet says over eating hay at this time of the year causes to much dry matter to be passed out the back end, plus the stess of riding the larger cows. After two days of pushing it back in, about 20 times, it has stayed in for over 12 hours. We put him on a creep feed and mom diet only to try to loosen his stool. He seems to have some swelling around his rectum, hopefully that will go down with time. Any other suggestions?

If it's staying in, keep his stool loose and leave him alone. If it keeps coming back out, you can try a stitch - but you need to keep the stool loose to do that. If he's a chronic - the stitch will keep it in, but you'll have to find a way to get him to slaughter.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3mljsie5 said:
should consider castration
You said it...castrate him. It's likely from riding the cows.
I imagine you'll keep battling it unless you suture it in place.
Are you keeping him intact for a reason?

I was keeping him a bull because he is an ET calf out of a really good cow and bull. This just started on Friday afternoon, I do not feel it would be wise to try and castrate him while he is going through the stress of getting over this. I am keeping him and is mother separate from any cows that he could ride. I will probably haul him to the sale barn in a week.

Latest posts