Recommendations for gophers?

Help Support CattleToday:

halfbean

Reaction score
My hayfields are deep sandy east Texas soil. Gophers love them. Is it worth trying to thin them out?

We have a gopher poison machine and have used the grain with strychnine in the past. It gets some I am sure but a lot are left. Seems like the amount of strychnine in it is not enough.

Has anyone tried the newer anticoagulant?

Thanks
Hal

Gophers are protected here. They were pulled and killed for food in th e depression era to the point of extinction. Our like Sandy soil in the pine woods mostly or ditch bank on a dirt road.

I bought 3 50lb sacks of the anticoagulant bait. Dealer had it for $60 a sack because mice had chewed a small hole in each sack. Am putting it out with a gopher machine with about 20 ft row spacing.

Another guy at dealer said to make sure and store it in airtight container. He had some on shelf in barn that molded. Said it attracts moisture.

Hopefully buzzards will be circling in a couple of days.

I made good money last few years trapping pocket gophers... our township pays a bounty of $3 per set of feet and our neighbor adds another $2 per. I do a lot in the spring and then again in the fall. I've had the little buggers throwing dirt at me trying to fill the hole in as fast as I'm digging it out, stuck the trap in and caught it right there! They come out hissing and ready to do battle! HATE them things... they really raise heLLO in a hay field!!

** get a neighbor kid, buy him a few traps, pay him a bounty to work the worst areas.... **

Latest posts