Recipes (Cook pictures added)

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy":2zl92vkk said:
backhoeboogie":2zl92vkk said:
While we are on that tuna subject, flaboy I just gotta know, is Bar-B-Que tuna any good? I figured you had tried that one and ought to know :) Perhaps from a munchie ailment in your youth? I always opted for a bag of apples and jar of peanut butter back then.

Never tried it but my old man used keep sardines, crackers, Vienna sausages, spiced ham in a can, and bread in our grub box when we went hunting. I have ate many a sardine and mustard sammich. :D When you are hungry, just about anything edible tastes good.

Kippers and Ritz crackers is the staple of the pasture, under the shade tree with iced tea. It is to far to drive to town for food and the house is even farther away. Crown Prince was the preferred brand of Kippers but you can't find them any more. Least I can't. Don't know why because they have Crown Prince everthing else. Sardines are just too greasy in the heat. They'd be okay during hunting season. Anything is good during hunting season.

Here is you a cheesy recipe for a chili salsa dip:

Brown a pound or so of loose ground turkey.

Brown a pound of so of loose ground beef.

Throw it in a crock pot with two bottles of pace picante' (mild or medium) add a small can of chooped green chili and a small bottle of ketchup. Let it simmer in the crock pot for a couple of hours on low. Spoon it out in a bowl and get yourself some totilla chips. Good stuff.

gerardplauche":2k8if1g3 said:
backhoeboogie - Why a pound of turkey? Why not 2 lbs of ground beef?

You can do that. The recipe was given to me this way and that is the way I use it. I am sure the beef would be fine.

Mild picante' if kids are eating with us and medium if kids are not.

Ok, so it was raining last night when I got home so I broke out one of favorite recipes. I do these about twice a year.

Pressed Cuban-Style Burger
2 pound ground chuck
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup best quality mayonnaise
1 Tbs minced garlic
1/4 cup Dijon mustard or just spicy brown
8 hamburger buns
8 slices thinly sliced smoked ham
16 slices thinly sliced Swiss or Provolone cheese
dill pickles, sliced into 1/4-inch thick slices

Form the meat into 8 patties. Season the meat as you would for a normal hamburger and cook on the grill to rare. Combine the mayonnaise and garlic in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Spread both sides of each bun with mayonnaise mixture.
Place a slice of cheese on the bottom portion of each bun, place the cooked burger on top of the cheese, then top the burger with a slice of ham then another slice of cheese then the pickle slices. Place the tops of the bun over the pickles and wrap the burgers in aluminum foil and put back on the grill. Take enough bricks or something with some decent weight and set on top of the wrapped burgers. Press them down and cook 2 more minutes then flip them over, put the bricks back on and cook 2 more minutes. Eat!

These are nice left overs. Already wrapped for your lunch the next day if your family don't eat them all.

flaboy":vefs3hqs said:
Ok, so it was raining last night when I got home so I broke out one of favorite recipes. I do these about twice a year.

Pressed Cuban-Style Burger
2 pound ground chuck
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup best quality mayonnaise
1 Tbs minced garlic
1/4 cup Dijon mustard or just spicy brown
8 hamburger buns
8 slices thinly sliced smoked ham
16 slices thinly sliced Swiss or Provolone cheese
dill pickles, sliced into 1/4-inch thick slices

Form the meat into 8 patties. Season the meat as you would for a normal hamburger and cook on the grill to rare. Combine the mayonnaise and garlic in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Spread both sides of each bun with mayonnaise mixture.
Place a slice of cheese on the bottom portion of each bun, place the cooked burger on top of the cheese, then top the burger with a slice of ham then another slice of cheese then the pickle slices. Place the tops of the bun over the pickles and wrap the burgers in aluminum foil and put back on the grill. Take enough bricks or something with some decent weight and set on top of the wrapped burgers. Press them down and cook 2 more minutes then flip them over, put the bricks back on and cook 2 more minutes. Eat!

These are nice left overs. Already wrapped for your lunch the next day if your family don't eat them all.
That darn recipe is just too much work and too dang greasy.

Pressed Tennessee Possum, Coon, Groundhog, or Rabbit.(Blacktop Method)

This is my alltime favorite Supper.

Better than a crockpot because you can just drive up any road about 2-3 PM and find whatever you want simmering on the asphalt. Add salt, and pepper,sauce and enjoy.Low Cholesterol and virtually fat free made possible in the "Pressed process"

Crowderfarms":31msovcc said:
That darn recipe is just too much work and too dang greasy.

Pressed Tennessee Possum, Coon, Groundhog, or Rabbit.(Blacktop Method)

This is my alltime favorite Supper.

Better than a crockpot because you can just drive up any road about 2-3 PM and find whatever you want simmering on the asphalt. Add salt, and pepper,sauce and enjoy.Low Cholesterol and virtually fat free made possible in the "Pressed process"

Possum be greasy! Coon is good. Never had Groundhog but I suspect it tastes like any squirrel. Rabbit it die for! I used to raise and butcher my own rabbits.

I guess your way to get lunch is cheaper than mine. Just find some warmed up roadkill on hot asphalt, salt and pepper and you are there. :D

Okay, the tuna snacks have made me want to throw up a hairball, so let's try this for dessert.

Rhubarb Crunch

1 1/4 C flour
1 1/4 C regular oatmeal
1 C packed brown sugar
2/3 C butter
4 C diced raw rhubarb (approx 1 1/4 lbs)or more
1 C sugar
1 C water
2 T cornstarch
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 C butter

Preheat oven 350. In a large bowl, combine flour, oatmeal and brown sugar. With pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture forms crumbs size of peas. Press HALF the crumb mixture into the bottom of 2 qt baking dish (sprayed with Pam). Arrange rhubarb pieces on top and set aside.

In medium saucepan, combine sugar, water and cornstarch. Boil until mixture thickens and clears. Remove from heat, add vanilla and butter and stir to melt butter. Pour mixture over rhubarb.

Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture over rhubarb/sauce. Bake 50 min or until golden. Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream, also great chilled.

If you want simple, this will make you happy and it is delicious.

Yum Yum Cake

Bake yellow cake mix in 9 x 13 pan.

While it is baking, cook 1 16 oz can crushed pineapple with 1 cup sugar for five minutes.

Take cake from oven and after it has cooled a little, poke holes in it and pour the hot pineapple mix over it. Cool completely.

Mix vanilla instant pudding according to directions, smooth over the cool cake. Refrigerate.

After cake is cold and before serving, top with whipped topping and coconut.

How simple is that. :nod:

Green Creek":2hnr4he7 said:
If you want simple, this will make you happy and it is delicious.

Yum Yum Cake

Bake yellow cake mix in 9 x 13 pan.

While it is baking, cook 1 16 oz can crushed pineapple with 1 cup sugar for five minutes.

Take cake from oven and after it has cooled a little, poke holes in it and pour the hot pineapple mix over it. Cool completely.

Mix vanilla instant pudding according to directions, smooth over the cool cake. Refrigerate.

After cake is cold and before serving, top with whipped topping and coconut.

How simple is that. :nod:

Piece of cake :!: :mrgreen:

Now this here is one good cake!
CAKE INGREDIENTS:
1 box spice or German chocolate cake mix
1 box of white cake mix
1 package white sandwich cookies
1 large package vanilla instant pudding mix
A few drops green food coloring
12 small Tootsie Rolls or equivalent

SERVING "DISHES AND UTENSILS"
1 NEW cat-litter box
1 NEW cat-litter box liner
1 NEW pooper scooper

1) Prepare and bake cake mixes, according to directions, in any size pan. Prepare pudding and chill. Crumble cookies in small batches in blender or food processor. Add a few drops of green food coloring to 1 cup of cookie crumbs. Mix with a fork or shake in a jar. Set aside.

2) When cakes are at room temperature, crumble them into a large bowl. Toss with half of the remaining cookie crumbs and enough pudding to make the mixture moist but not soggy. Place liner in litter box and pour in mixture.

3) Unwrap 3 Tootsie Rolls and heat in a microwave until soft and pliable. Shape
the blunt ends into slightly curved point s. Repeat with three more rolls. Bury the rolls decoratively in the cake mixture. Sprinkle remaining white cookie crumbs over the mixture, then scatter green crumbs lightly over top.

4) Heat 5 more Tootsie Rolls until almost melted. Scrape them on top of the cake and sprinkle with crumbs from the litter box. Heat the remaining Tootsie Roll until pliable and hang it over the edge of the box. Place box on a sheet of newspaper and serve with scooper. Enjoy!

No, not pictures of the cook you fools. :lol2: Last weekends cook in the UDS (Ugly Drum Smoker)

Chicken

000_1984.jpg

Spare Ribs

000_1985.jpg

Pork Butts

000_1986.jpg

Pulled Pork

000_1988.jpg

My Cowboys Beans nobody has tried the recipe to yet. :cboy:

000_1987.jpg

Dang Flaboy - It all looks GREAT!

Here's my addition for some great grill potatoes!

Slice potatoes and carrots ( you could semi-boil them til almost done if your in a hurry)
Peppers and mushrooms optional
Drain
Put in bowl
Sprinkle in a couple packages of Onion Soup Mix (that dry little package stuff) Depending on how much you make - just so they are coated---fyi-the generic is better.
Throw some in a tinfoil bag, with a few chunks of BUTTER (none of that fake stuff) close up the bag and throw on the grill til done.

YUMMY!

Michele

Well I have to admit that food looks way better than my cake! NICE ! Looks fantastic! When can I come over to help ya eat it? :heart: :heart: :drink:

RebelCritter":yeqqygct said:
Well I have to admit that food looks way better than my cake! NICE ! Looks fantastic! When can I come over to help ya eat it? :heart: :heart: :drink:

Yeah sure I had to bait ya with food huh? :lol2:

There is a cookbook on the home page of Cattle Today, but I'll play along anyway.

The Best Bread Pudding

2 eggs
2 Tbsp melted butter
2 Tbsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups sugar
6 cups cubed bread
1/3 cup pecans, chopped fine.

Preheat oven to 325*. Beat together eggs, butter, vanilla, and milk. Add sugar and mix until sugar is dissolved. Arrange bread cubes in a greased 9x9 pan. Pour liquid over the bread. Sprinkle pecans all over and bake for 55-70 minutes or until crust is golden brown all over.

While the bread is baking, make the Whiskey Cream Sauce

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cup cream (I've used whole milk in a pinch)
1/4 cup whiskey
1 tsp vanilla
Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Stir constantly over low heat until mixture comes to a low boil. Pour over bread pudding.

Store leftovers (if any :) ) in fridge.

Flaboy, that is some good looking meat you cooked there. The color is beautiful and if it tastes anything as good as it looks I think I'd have to run backwards to keep from swallowing my tongue.

Here's a little desert to go with them ribs. (In the true holiday spirit of course)

IMG_2550.jpg

2 8ounce packs of cream cheese
2 cups confectioners sugar
8 ounces sour cream
1/4 teaspoon almond flavoring
1 teaspoon vanial
1/2 pint whipping cream drawn from a black and white cow
1 angel food cake
1 quart strawberry (organic if you don't mind the bugs and bruises)
1 quart blueberries (american grown)
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons almond flavoring

Cream together cream cheese and confect sugar. Add sour cream, vanilla and 1/4 tsp of almond flavoring and set this mixture aside. In another bowl, whip the whipping cream and add to the cream cheese mixture.

Tear up angel cake.

Mix the 3/4 cup sugar and the 3 tbs of almond together and pour half of it on blueberries and other half on strawberries and coat them well. (or just mix em all together if you don't want it layered red white and blue) In a clear bowl alternate layers of cream cheese mixtures and the berries and garnish with berries.

Dang Jo, that sure looked good until I saw the cream cheese in the recipe. I HATE CREAM CHEEZE. My mom used to try to hide it in recipes and I would always catch her. She would say "you can't taste it'. I would then say how come I caught you then trying to sneak it by me. :D

Well isn't it funny what we each become accustomed to eating. When my wife and I got married we were like most young newly weds stretching every George Washington until he screamed. As we developed more of a variety I stumbled on our "recipe" for POOR FOLK FOOD which is just a way of stretching hamburger with pork and beans and onions. Of course it has ketchup, brown sugar or molasses, mustard, salt and pepper to taste. And serve it with fresh baked biscuits or toast and it sure stretches the budget. We still eat it and enjoy it. We have other routine foods we like which satisfy us and we don't go real outlandish. Some of our other simple foods are probably not universal but we get by with them. I enjoy learning what everyone likes it sparks new ideas for us. Thanks

Latest posts