posting pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard":alevf5f8 said:
cowgirl8":alevf5f8 said:
So its not another button on this site, its another site I have to go to.. Yeah, got less than 10% to last me till the 10th.. The other way was very easy and used less internet.. Not going to another site...oh well, like anyone is interested in any pictures I would post...lol....
Oh good grief... You ALWAYS had to go 'to another site'.
Did you actually think the photo hosting/posting was all done here at CT?
Whether you knew it or not, you 'went another site' when you clicked the button.
That button was nothing more than a clickable hyperlink embedded in a postimage icon that sent you (actually sent your computer) to Postimage.org. Just like this is: (click it)

Using this ^^^^^ link/button. Thanks GB

slick4591":3miw3y3m said:
Reads to me like she thinks there's less data usage when you upload directly to CT because she thinks there's not a hosting page involved. Linda, you can still upload to Photobucket or the Post Image sites using the same amount of data. You only link the pics from those to CT and that doesn't use extra data.

From the time the Postimage button first began, we have NEVER uploaded directly to CT.
We have always uploaded to post image.
The member posted pictures we see here are all just links to whatever hosting site we used to post the picture. The Youtube vids we watch IN CT posts...they aren't there. Our phones and computers are "watching' them AT Youtube. Every time we open a thread or post that has a picture in it, our computer's browser is opening that image's link and is going to the hosting site and fetching it for us to see. The amount of data "saved' by not visually opening the PostImage host website is in the kilobyte range. Probably less than viewing any of the 640x480 pictures in most of the CT threads.

I could, take a snapshot of what this thread or the last few posts actually looks like in http and Ub and it would be a jumble of links after links after links. Even the CT smilies are links, tho they ARE CT links

For a while it was like FB... I got no ads, nothing, just a small box asking to resize and what file....It did not take me to a website filled with ads.. just a box with 2 options

cowgirl8":318a7jov said:
The button did not store my picture, it was like FB, just accessed a picture on my computer. I did not have to go to a site, I did not have to open my FB file, there were no ads or cookies, it was simple and seemed to keep me from going over by the 10th...

If that were true, then everyone would have access to the files ON your computer, (which is a BIG security NO-NO!) AND, if your computer were turned off or you weren't connected to the internet, then no one would be able to see any of the pictures you had previously posted.

FB does host the pictures you upload to them, but they are a multi-billion $$ software company with many Terabytes of storage capacity..it's in the petabytes total. Their servers scan over 200 terabytes of data each hour.
CT for the most part does not store any of our photos. It just keeps the links to the host every time Mr Gravley backs up or archives the forum.

The ONLY time any computer accesses the picture ON your computer is when YOU initially upload it to the hosting site...PB, PostImage, Imgur etc.

After that, every computer or phone, (including yours) that opens a thread with pictures in it, accesses the pictures via a hyperlink within the posts that connects your browser to the hosting website. Once you uploaded that picture to Postimage, you could even delete the picture from your computer and it wouldn't affect what anyone here sees at all. The same with Facebook.

That 'button' I posted above?
It's actually a hyperlink to an image (the picture of the button) that is linked via UB code to a web page...in this instance, to Postimages.
Here's what it actually looks like in link form and it's what your browser 'sees'. Your browser's software (along with some other "magic" coverts this into the image of the 'button'

For a while it was like FB... I got no ads, nothing, just a small box asking to resize and what file....It did not take me to a website filled with ads.. just a box with 2 options
Just because you didn't 'see' it, didn't mean it wasn't happening.

Photobucket is TOTAL GARBAGE now.. I can't even load the page at home anymore
not sure how easy it is on a phone but resizing an image can save a heck of a lot of data and maintain acceptable quality..

Nesikep":2yj62b3e said:
Photobucket is TOTAL GARBAGE now.. I can't even load the page at home anymore
not sure how easy it is on a phone but resizing an image can save a heck of a lot of data and maintain acceptable quality..
I quit logging into my PB years ago. Sad because I have thousands of pictures. It kept stalling on the loading, made me want to throw my computer out the window. I just don't have the internet you need for it anymore..

cowgirl8":2m8xkgrp said:

This, is what you saw "before" or back when there was a 'button'.
A popup window.

plugins_2.png

It is from PostImages website and is basically the same thing we all use now.
What was happening before?
The 'button' (which was just another hyperlink) linked to a little app/plugin that is part of Postimages (you can see it mentioned at the top & bottom of Postimages website.) Your computer did indeed go to Postimages when the little window opened. It's that plugin that placed the button below each reply box on CT.
That Postimage plugin quit working when some software and security upgrades to CT itself were done a few months ago, and as Mr Gravley explained in one of his posts, it's not easy to get everything working with the upgraded CT and him still get some ad revenue. There's lots of 0s and 1s involved.
All we are doing now, is the same thing the plugin and popup window used to do for us, except, IMO, we now have more options and only have to do a couple more mouse clicks. Now, we have the option of what we want Postimages to do with the photo we just uploaded to their server as well as it being there if we need to access it again (provided we have registered at Postimages).

If you go here and look and scroll down (but do not touch!) you can see how it used to look.

Nesikep":37air0p3 said:
Find a place with good WIFI and download them all
One day, one day.... I dream of endless limitless internet. We have a thing that we can stream Netflix, but after a few shows it slows down. Netflix is all we can watch when its slow, nothing else will play. When we go on road trips occasionally we find a place that the internet is fast..
My daughter said theres an ap that tricks your phone service into not knowing you're using your hot spot, but rather just using your phone...which is unlimited and never slowed down. We havent done anything to get it, but i'm sure that will be closed off before long...

Your data up/down speed is probably being throttled by your internet provider. Mine is with Verizon...via cell tower....no fiber optic lines out here and may never be.
Mine IS unlimited, but after I use a certain amount (15gb) , it slows down significantly. (I only notice it when watching Youtube vids...there are frequent pauses).

Posting pictures is really easy once someone shows you how. YouTube has a video on how to post pictures to a message board.

Let me try to help you.
First open a new window, then type postimg, then hit choose image, then hit done, and once image is loaded hit Hot links for forums, then open your CT window and hit post reply, and add link.

greybeard":23lixuty said:
Your data up/down speed is probably being throttled by your internet provider. Mine is with Verizon...via cell tower....no fiber optic lines out here and may never be.
Mine IS unlimited, but after I use a certain amount (15gb) , it slows down significantly. (I only notice it when watching Youtube vids...there are frequent pauses).
Husband invested in Verizon years ago.... ended up being a good investment.

Guess I'm the only one using Photobucket and not having problems. I have it set up where every picture I take with my phone gets backed up at PB. It's really handy.

cowgirl8":1v2pblx5 said:
greybeard":1v2pblx5 said:
Husband invested in Verizon years ago.... ended up being a good investment.

he should have saved that money for unlimited data

Latest posts