Recipe for raising a steer for beef...

Help Support CattleToday:

Limomike":1v10pibf said:
sky.. We normally just take a steer right off the pasture and butcher it. Always had good quality beef to eat. but this time, I am putting an 800lb Limflex bull up, and feed him out for the next 60 days. Around here at our local feed store, they make a feedlot blend that I am going feed her whiles hes up, and see how he does.

Let me know how that works out for you.

alisonb":2w2ay0ze said:
Pen animal in small enclosure, animal should not be allowed to walk great distances and develop too much muscle. Give animal copious amounts of beer and massage it for an hour, twice daily - your very own Kobe Sky :p

:D

Is there a preferred brand of beer for "best flavor"?? should he be fed the full strength beer or "Lite" beer??

The choice of 'flavor' would have to be up to Sky as he will be taking a couple of sips of the stuff in between feeds. It should be full strength as the beer is actually an appetite stimulant, so the more beer(malt) intake the more feed/yellow corn the animal will consume :p

You may be on to something here Sim :D . Not the feeding of the vodka or whiskey though but the feeding of the distillers mash, can you just imagine how tender the meat would be....the mind boggles. One would of course also have to add a little ACV to feed twice daily :help: OK, I'm out of here, sorry for hi jacking your thread Sky, it's been fun :lol:

alisonb":345zab86 said:
The choice of 'flavor' would have to be up to Sky as he will be taking a couple of sips of the stuff in between feeds. It should be full strength as the beer is actually an appetite stimulant, so the more beer(malt) intake the more feed/yellow corn the animal will consume :p

LOL hijack away and I prefer ice house

I have a Jersey x Gelbvieh cross steer that I am sending to the slaughter house next week. He is exactly 2 years old and weighs about 1,100 lbs by my un-calibrated eye. For the last couple of months we have been feeding him 12% horse feed and cracked corn to the tune of about 4 gallons per day. He is on a 5 acre pasture with plenty of grass and clover. He looks to have a nice finish on him. I have processed a few Jersey x Gelbvieh steers and they have some pretty good beef. Not the most efficient being half Jersey but good marbling and good flavor.

My sister raised a steer that she fed boiled corn and beer to every day for a couple months. She had a big iron kettle that she would boil water in over a propane fire out by the corral and she would boil the corn until it was soft. She had procured a few damaged kegs of beer from a beer truck wreck which she mixed with the corn. She fed this steer named Forrest until he was ready and then had him slaughtered. I had some steaks on the grill from Forrest and he was unbelievably tasty and tender. It was allot of work for her but those steaks rivaled Mortons.

Jogeephus":36n7ij4p said:
alisonb":36n7ij4p said:
Pen animal in small enclosure, animal should not be allowed to walk great distances and develop too much muscle. Give animal copious amounts of beer and massage it for an hour, twice daily - your very own Kobe Sky :p

What if he just drinks copius amounts of beer and urinates in the feed trough? :lol2:
You asking about the animal or Skyhightree?

Latest posts