RECESSION OR NOT

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
Will the economy go up or down? I know that the inputs to my operation are greater than the return. Would you call that a recession or not? (could be bad management on my part) I think the economy will contract cannot see it getting much better.
Will the weather have any thing to do with creating the recession? Am I to old to take up and learn crocheting? Need something to spend my idle time on.

I think things are pretty stable, just treading water for a while yet though. Things in the U.S. will pick up next year as Trump starts pushing for re election. They don't have to tweek much to make things move the way they want but when someone wins someone also loses.

I was thinking about this over the weekend and agree with Redgully, we are in a holding pattern right now. The area I live in never really seems to be affected by a National up or down turn though so it's hard to say. My business was flat to a little better last year, job in town was flat, and cattle made money but there won't be many improvements this year. I have noticed that out of towners are buying real estate that locals think are crazy high. I looked at 1 piece of land and 3 small houses in the last year and thought the were all priced at nearly double what they were worth, all sold fairly quick to folks from big cities. So maybe they are seeing a boom.

If Trump gets re-elected China will cave and we will go through a little turmoil and then a boom. If a Democrat gets in China will call their bluff and things will stay flat for the avg person but construction will slow considerably, wich will slow job growth and hurt big cities.

hurleyjd said:
Will the economy go up or down? I know that the inputs to my operation are greater than the return. Would you call that a recession or not? (could be bad management on my part) I think the economy will contract cannot see it getting much better.
Will the weather have any thing to do with creating the recession? Am I to old to take up and learn crocheting? Need something to spend my idle time on.

I think we are headed for a pretty bad recession just my opinion.

The pedal is to the metal in Texas. Ain't know way it's going to slow down in the next 2-3 years. Now if things happen and companies cut back and don't need the space that's being built there will be some landlords sucking wind..

callmefence said:
:nod: Nothing better than a recession to make business better.... :nod:

That's a very true statement. Want to make a bad manager out of a good one? Give them too much money.

Kingfisher said:
The pedal is to the metal in Texas. Ain't know way it's going to slow down in the next 2-3 years. Now if things happen and companies cut back and don't need the space that's being built there will be some landlords sucking wind..

I just picked up 3 more rentals. None are currently rented. If they don't rent, no wear and tear. Taxes and insurance is the only loss. If at any point someone offers me a decent profit margin, I can flip them.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-steel-plans-lay-off-221654984.html

Also I can tell you the drilling activity for oil and gas is slowing. How can I tell In Mineola Texas there is a company that hauls sand. Their lot is full of the trailers you could not park another one in there . Good chance there are a 100plus.

Also all of the construction equipment dealers that buy and sell used construction have a lot of inventory. Both on the way to Tyler lots are stacked to the brim.
Car companies and equipment have a lot of inventory. And according to banker friend I know a lot of the car and truck owners are upside down in their vehicles.
On the China trade deal the Chinese holds the winning hand. Trump will never get out of the tariff deal without being embarrassed by it and backing down. Herbert Hoover had a lot of tariffs on other countries and a recession and depression followed. History can repeat itself.

Health insurance premium going up 20% in spring 2020, same increase as last year and the year before and the year before...

Sounds great. Let's give the toilet bowl a good flush. It's really starting to stink.

The only farms greatly hurt by recession are those that have their necks too far out. Time to thin the herd of two leggers that only do what their bankers say they can do.

Escalating deficit, Escalating debt, new equipment sales down, GDP growth slowed, Truck freight down for the last 8months, Recession or worse.

hurleyjd said:

Also I can tell you the drilling activity for oil and gas is slowing. How can I tell In Mineola Texas there is a company that hauls sand. Their lot is full of the trailers you could not park another one in there . Good chance there are a 100plus.

Also all of the construction equipment dealers that buy and sell used construction have a lot of inventory. Both on the way to Tyler lots are stacked to the brim.
Car companies and equipment have a lot of inventory. And according to banker friend I know a lot of the car and truck owners are upside down in their vehicles.
On the China trade deal the Chinese holds the winning hand. Trump will never get out of the tariff deal without being embarrassed by it and backing down. Herbert Hoover had a lot of tariffs on other countries and a recession and depression followed. History can repeat itself.

Every time you trade a car/truck in, dealerships always say your "upside down". I can't believe you all want China to win the so called trade war. SC-10,000 bottom 100%

Richnm said:
hurleyjd said:

Every time you trade a car/truck in, dealerships always say your "upside down". I can't believe you all want China to win the so called trade war. SC-10,000 bottom 100%

Only a certain segment of Americans want China to win.

Oh big deal...Texas as a whole, lost 4-5 rigs. Overall, the nation's active rig count increased by 6.

Among the major basins, the Permian led all losses with three rigs, while the Utica dropped two.

Despite the Permian's losses, the shale basin still has 441 active rigs – accounting for almost half of the U.S.' total active rigs.

Really the only time we`re not headed for a recession is when we`re in a recession just a question of when. :2cents:

Richnm said:
hurleyjd said:

No I am not wanting China to win. Just that they have the upper hand in this trade deal. Hard not to face the facts. China not only trades with America but ever other country on the face of the earth.

Latest posts