Rear Leg Conformation

Help Support CattleToday:

BIZIN

Reaction score
Hello all, was looking at some cows to buy here and their back legs were bothering me. Got home thinking they walked bad and looked through my cows and they walk the same. Now its got me questioning if I have cows with terrible rear leg conformation. Could someone post a video of a bull and a video of a cow walking forward, video taken from behind them. Maybe I am over analyzing these cows and mine. From the side they walk and travel really well, from the rear I feel as though their rear legs should raise off the ground, move straight ahead and place down again, but these cows and most of mine, their legs come off the ground, move forward and swing inward toward the opposite rear hoof, than back to center and place down where they are supposed to. I am analyzing these cows to purchase very closely and am wondering if I am being over critical or if I am raising cattle that are structurally unsound!!! Hoping someone with alot of knowledge in conformation could post a video of a cow and one of a bull walking from behind with correct conformation. Then I know for sure. or post a link to a video. Has to be from rear, I know what I am looking for from the side and these all travel well.

In the video posted you can see that the cow brings her feet inward then back outward. I think it is just how they walk and probably why a cow trail is so narrow compared to the width of the cows.