Poor Conformation....

Help Support CattleToday:

Randi

Reaction score
Thought I'd post this heifer as an educational photo... I think that a lot of her problems were originally mineral related. I don't think her mother was into the mineral like she should have been. She was born really weak on the right side, usually they will grow out of it, and I guess she did, at least a little bit. She is still lame on the right hind, always will be. And still a bit twisted to the right as well. In addition to the weakness, you can see that on the hind at least, she is very post legged. She has numerous other conformational faults as well. Feel free to criticize or comment on her. You won't hurt my feelings, and maybe others can learn from this.

She is headed for the freezer, it might take a bit of time to get her there, but I'm quite sure that she will fill it quite well in the end.

She weighed 613 lbs Feb 3

12347863_10207682282348683_1303445479350919997_n.jpg

Mother was an '08 model. Never raised a calf that topped average, so I'd say she wasn't much of a milker, her 205 day avg weight was 507 lbs. She was culled last summer, not sure why she stayed around for that long...Make room for something that can raise a good calf.

Yeah, reason I ask is I can see that in her head shape. Shows some age, but has a weird skinny head. I've seen it here before in calves that didnt get enough milk.

Supa Dexta":3aytpml5 said:
Yeah, reason I ask is I can see that in her head shape. Shows some age, but has a weird skinny head. I've seen it here before in calves that didnt get enough milk.
I thought I was only person who noticed that in slow growing calves.

I don't think she was starved, but she was weaned in late July I think. I think she had that head right from birth... Never was anything to write home about!

No not starved, Just lacking. I have one here similar that Ive had on feed this winter. Born to a 14mo old heifer, who gave it what she had but just not enough. She's a pet project of sorts for me now though.

She won't catch her older counter parts, but I may just skip breeding her this year and let her catch up further. She is gaining, so I may breed 2 months after the others. Just not sure she'll be ready, and don't want to stunt her any further. That's why she's a project, just playing with possible outcomes.

I have one that looked good last fall, and just totally stopped growing after weaning.. She had coccidiosis when she was young, and perhaps it did some permanent damage to her, which was only evident when she came off milk.. though her other problem is she just never eats heartily.. she's at the very bottom of the pecking order with no desire to change that.. She had LOTS of milk growing up, but I just can't keep her and be proud of myself.. A heifer born 4 months later is bigger than she is now (and looks better) so I'll be keeping her instead.

What I notice about that heifer pictures is how high she holds her ears... I get those once in a while, they look funny.. a bit like a deer

Unusual in that the angle of the front of her hooves is about 45 degrees and then an abrupt change to her pasterns. Does she rest with her hind legs up under her like a horse that has foundered? Most cattle that have conformation with straight legs have very upright hooves as well.
Ken

Latest posts