Re: Re: Re: de-worming???

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Using LA200 prophylactically is a very poor idea. The more you use antibiotics unnecessarily or improperly, the more immunity the remaining viruses and bacteria acquire. Then, when you really need antibiotics, they may not work.<p>I don't believe it takes two weeks for the Ivomec to work - I believe that in 2 weeks you are merely beginning to see the positive effects of the reduced parasite load on the animal. <p>It DOES matter what time of year you deworm your animals and it matters what kind of wormer you use. So, Ivomec is expensive - it is more expensive in the long run not to worm your cows. A cow on a proper worming program will utilize her feed better, have a healthier calf, and be less susceptible to illness in both her and her calf. You will save money on feed and vet bills. If you are shorting your cows by only worming the calves, you will have weaker calves that will probably need antibiotics at some time early in life. Put that LA200 money into Ivomec. In addition, if you only worm the calves and not the cows, the cows are continually shedding parasite eggs in their feces, adding to the parasite load in the pasture, and adding to the parasite load in the calves. Sounds like false economy to me.<p>A good pour-on wormer in the spring is a good idea. Pour-on Ivomec will not only kill external parasites but internal ones, as well, and will continue to do so for about 30 days.
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Very well said Linda.... prophalactic use of antiboiotics IS causing resistence in both cattle and humans. <br>Janet<p>: Using LA200 prophylactically is a very poor idea. The more you use antibiotics unnecessarily or improperly, the more immunity the remaining viruses and bacteria acquire. Then, when you really need antibiotics, they may not work.<p>: I don't believe it takes two weeks for the Ivomec to work - I believe that in 2 weeks you are merely beginning to see the positive effects of the reduced parasite load on the animal. <p>: It DOES matter what time of year you deworm your animals and it matters what kind of wormer you use. So, Ivomec is expensive - it is more expensive in the long run not to worm your cows. A cow on a proper worming program will utilize her feed better, have a healthier calf, and be less susceptible to illness in both her and her calf. You will save money on feed and vet bills. If you are shorting your cows by only worming the calves, you will have weaker calves that will probably need antibiotics at some time early in life. Put that LA200 money into Ivomec. In addition, if you only worm the calves and not the cows, the cows are continually shedding parasite eggs in their feces, adding to the parasite load in the pasture, and adding to the parasite load in the calves. Sounds like false economy to me.<p>: A good pour-on wormer in the spring is a good idea. Pour-on Ivomec will not only kill external parasites but internal ones, as well, and will continue to do so for about 30 days. <p>
<br>

[email protected]

Very well said Linda and Janet. Products are developed for specific purposes and should be used only for those purposes.<p><br> Very well said Linda.... prophalactic use of antiboiotics IS causing resistence in both cattle and humans. <br>: Janet<p>: : Using LA200 prophylactically is a very poor idea. The more you use antibiotics unnecessarily or improperly, the more immunity the remaining viruses and bacteria acquire. Then, when you really need antibiotics, they may not work.<p>: : I don't believe it takes two weeks for the Ivomec to work - I believe that in 2 weeks you are merely beginning to see the positive effects of the reduced parasite load on the animal. <p>: : It DOES matter what time of year you deworm your animals and it matters what kind of wormer you use. So, Ivomec is expensive - it is more expensive in the long run not to worm your cows. A cow on a proper worming program will utilize her feed better, have a healthier calf, and be less susceptible to illness in both her and her calf. You will save money on feed and vet bills. If you are shorting your cows by only worming the calves, you will have weaker calves that will probably need antibiotics at some time early in life. Put that LA200 money into Ivomec. In addition, if you only worm the calves and not the cows, the cows are continually shedding parasite eggs in their feces, adding to the parasite load in the pasture, and adding to the parasite load in the calves. Sounds like false economy to me.<p>: : A good pour-on wormer in the spring is a good idea. Pour-on Ivomec will not only kill external parasites but internal ones, as well, and will continue to do so for about 30 days. <p> <br>
<br>

[email protected]

Very well said Linda and Janet. Products are developed for specific purposes and should be used only for those purposes.<p><br> Very well said Linda.... prophalactic use of antiboiotics IS causing resistence in both cattle and humans. <br>: Janet<p>: : Using LA200 prophylactically is a very poor idea. The more you use antibiotics unnecessarily or improperly, the more immunity the remaining viruses and bacteria acquire. Then, when you really need antibiotics, they may not work.<p>: : I don't believe it takes two weeks for the Ivomec to work - I believe that in 2 weeks you are merely beginning to see the positive effects of the reduced parasite load on the animal. <p>: : It DOES matter what time of year you deworm your animals and it matters what kind of wormer you use. So, Ivomec is expensive - it is more expensive in the long run not to worm your cows. A cow on a proper worming program will utilize her feed better, have a healthier calf, and be less susceptible to illness in both her and her calf. You will save money on feed and vet bills. If you are shorting your cows by only worming the calves, you will have weaker calves that will probably need antibiotics at some time early in life. Put that LA200 money into Ivomec. In addition, if you only worm the calves and not the cows, the cows are continually shedding parasite eggs in their feces, adding to the parasite load in the pasture, and adding to the parasite load in the calves. Sounds like false economy to me.<p>: : A good pour-on wormer in the spring is a good idea. Pour-on Ivomec will not only kill external parasites but internal ones, as well, and will continue to do so for about 30 days. <p> <br>
<br>

[email protected]