Re-breeding momma cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Little Cow

Reaction score
So, we planned to separate our bull from the momma cows until the calves were weaned. Well, he outsmarted us and many attempts to contain the bull failed, so, after watching him closely, we left him in with the cows. He has been a gentleman with the cows and very gentle with his calves. The calves LOVE him and he lets them steal his food, LOL! Silly bull. I know it's not ideal to keep the bull in with the cows because the cows should get a break but that's how it goes sometimes.

We have reinforced the bull pen adequately since then but are reluctant to separate him until we need to. We have a toddler and even though the bull pen is two gates/fences from the yard, and our child is always supervised, of course, it still makes me nervous with a frustrated bull locked up. We will separate him before we sell him, though.

So, how many months after their last calf should we expect our cows to be re-bred? The youngest calf is four months old now (the oldest is five months). I know palpating is the only way to really tell, and we will do that, but we need to get an estimate so we know when to offer the bull for sale.

Thank you for your help.

Here's a picture of him. 'Cause I know you guys like pictures, LOL!

Randy is a registered Dexter bull. Our cows are also all registered Dexters. He gave us some nice calves this year so we are pleased with him.

Farm2042.jpg

If you want them to have a calf every 12 months which is what most people want they need to breed back by the time the calf is about 3 months old. Most cows usually start cycling again by 30 to 45 days after calving some earlier just depends on their condition.

If your bull has been with the cows four months after they calved, there is a good chance he already has them bread.

Thank you!

I thought so as whenever I watch him with the cows, well, it seems like he has nothing to do. He is always checking them whenever they pee, like a good bull should, but no action lately so I thought perhaps he has done his job. Yesterday, I saw on of the cows stand very still after she peed and that concerned me that she was waiting to be bred. The bull did not breed her though so perhaps not.

Thanks, 2/B or not 2/B!

I like the buddy idea a lot. Didn't think of that. Do you guys think a feeder steer would be okay (not his own offspring). I was thinking about putting a bred cow in there...maybe his favorite cow?

Little Cow":120zquag said:
Thanks, 2/B or not 2/B!

I like the buddy idea a lot. Didn't think of that. Do you guys think a feeder steer would be okay (not his own offspring). I was thinking about putting a bred cow in there...maybe his favorite cow?
A bred cow will work but we just use one of last years steers. We don;t pen the bull except right around calving time. When he goes out with the girls we leave his steer buddy with him and when we pull him and put him in a separate pasture we leave his buddy with him. After preg check we turn him back in with the cows and butcher the steer.

in florida i would never take the bull out. every 6 or 7 years you will have an extra years calf crop if they move ahead 2 months every year

I use a hot top wire in a seperate pasture. Don't have much trouble until around the middle of may when they start thinking about work. Of course with 14 bulls they tend to keep each other company pretty well. By the way that's a pretty good looking bull ya got there.

Hey jerry, I hear ya' but we are keeping replacement heifers and the gene pool for Dexters is small sooo, he needs to go.

haase":1lq5nn4x said:
If your bull has been with the cows four months after they calved, there is a good chance he already has them bread.
Guaranteed. (unless something is wrong with the bull or the cows)

Latest posts