Ravens killing newborn calf

Help Support CattleToday:

swanny

Reaction score
Yesterday noticed a cow getting close to calving time. Had to run to town decent day for once so was I gone for about 4 hrs When I got home noticed a newborn calf in calving pasture with ravens on it. If I was a betting man I would say the ravens killed it. They ate its cord and picked its eyes nice bull calf about 2 wks early Anybody ever had this happen? Is this going to be a ongoing thing and how do you stop it.

swanny":2upye1nt said:
Yesterday noticed a cow getting close to calving time. Had to run to town decent day for once so was I gone for about 4 hrs When I got home noticed a newborn calf in calving pasture with ravens on it. If I was a betting man I would say the ravens killed it. They ate its cord and picked its eyes nice bull calf about 2 wks early Anybody ever had this happen? Is this going to be a ongoing thing and how do you stop it.

Sounds more like the dirty deeds of Mexican Vultures.

Wow, think I would be taking a gun to the ravens! If the calf was 2 wks early, it was probably already dead, or close to, without any help. That may be why the ravens had their hay day with it. I believe they are "clean up" birds like a vulture. I don't think an attack would be so severe on a healthy animal.

Red Bull Breeder":317itslr said:
Yours won't keep the black buzzards back. They catch the cow calving and kill the calf and eat the ass out of the cow.
Yessir they'll wear that ol' cow completely out fightin' at them while the others are killing the calf. Calf doesn't have a chance.

TexasBred":3gne056h said:
Red Bull Breeder":3gne056h said:
Yours won't keep the black buzzards back. They catch the cow calving and kill the calf and eat the ass out of the cow.
Yessir they'll wear that ol' cow completely out fightin' at them while the others are killing the calf. Calf doesn't have a chance.

Absolutely correct!! I've seen it for myself. Those nasty a$$ birds will worry the heck out of the cow, while she's calving/trying to clean the calf and kill that calf while going after the cow. They are as bad as, if not worse than, a pack of wild dogs.

Sounds to me that either the calf was born dead or what you saw were Mexican Vultures. Which are a whole different bird that the Turkey Vulture which is a scavanger and they are the ones with the ugly looking red head and neck. The black buzzards are all black, a bit smaller than the Turky vulture and do tend to resemble a Raven.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":3aco2yg5 said:
TexasBred":3aco2yg5 said:
Red Bull Breeder":3aco2yg5 said:

Absolutely correct!! I've seen it for myself. Those nasty a$$ birds will worry the heck out of the cow, while she's calving/trying to clean the calf and kill that calf while going after the cow. They are as bad as, if not worse than, a pack of wild dogs.

Sounds to me that either the calf was born dead or what you saw were Mexican Vultures. Which are a whole different bird that the Turkey Vulture which is a scavanger and they are the ones with the ugly looking red head and neck. The black buzzards are all black, a bit smaller than the Turky vulture and do tend to resemble a Raven.

Katherine

Agree with the three of you. Y'all covered it well.

fitz

We have no vultures around here... We do have a pair of ravens that are nearly pets... never had an ounce of trouble with them.. They'll hop along in the corral and eat placenta, and usually the calves have a heck of a fun time chasing them off... Some people do have problems with them however. Have eagles in the area and never had trouble with them either, though a neighbor has had some... Coyotes here haven't caused us grief except with our free running chickens.. One paid the price for it 2 days ago.. he caught one and about 10 seconds later got nailed with a .308... We ate the chicken.

I have never had trouble with black buzzards as they are scarce in these parts. But I have heard the same as you guys as far as them killing calves. Sound like some bad birds.

Yeah there have been a few around that say they have had them kill a calf the last year or two. I hope I never experience it but it looks like they are coming our way.

the black buzzards , are smaller , have black heads,and tend to run when they start to fly , then take off , kind of get a running start , the turkey buzzards , have a red head , and are a good bit bigger , the black buzzards are far more aggressive , you will know it when you have them

In this part of the world, Bald Eagles will do the same thing. If the cow happens to not get right up, the birds will eat the eyes of the calf.

We've also had the black-headed buzzards move in. It will make you sick to your stomach to see what they'll do to a heifer that is down and can't get up. They don't kill her, just start eating.

Rafter S":2ze9909z said:
We've also had the black-headed buzzards move in. It will make you sick to your stomach to see what they'll do to a heifer that is down and can't get up. They don't kill her, just start eating.
Dang! There probably is nothing to deter them, is there? They do not come out at night do they?

branguscowgirl":1g2uc0l8 said:
Rafter S":1g2uc0l8 said:
Dang! There probably is nothing to deter them, is there? They do not come out at night do they?
No they roost but will be out early. You actually see a lot on the road that have been hit by cars. They are so determined not to leave their meal they wait til the last second to move.

In response to the OP. There is no way for sure to know if ravens killed it but have a gun handy if you have any more problems and dispatch them. No other fix and you have the right to protect your stock.

Latest posts