Rather be lucky than good.

Help Support CattleToday:

I had the same thing last January. Found a month old calf stuck in the mud in a pond. Only her nose and eyes were above water. It was one of the coldest days of the year, but I waded out as far as I could and lassoed her. Pulled her out with the ranger. It got down to about 6 degrees that night and I knew she would not survive. I got up early and went out in the dark to check and the momma had taken her and hid her. She turned out to be my best heifer last year and of course, I had to keep her as a replacement. We will see how she does.

sstterry said:
I had the same thing last January. Found a month old calf stuck in the mud in a pond. Only her nose and eyes were above water. It was one of the coldest days of the year, but I waded out as far as I could and lassoed her. Pulled her out with the ranger. It got down to about 6 degrees that night and I knew she would not survive. I got up early and went out in the dark to check and the momma had taken her and hid her. She turned out to be my best heifer last year and of course, I had to keep her as a replacement. We will see how she does.

Animals amaze me at their will to survive.

I'm neither most days
#$%#$ cow ate pine needles I'm pretty sure.. I've had it happen a few times, ALWAYS after a snowfall, when the branches of the pines start to sag they can reach them again.

True Grit Farms said:
sstterry said:

And then turn around and amaze you with their will to die :nod: :bang:

Nesikep said:
I'm neither most days
#$%#$ cow ate pine needles I'm pretty sure.. I've had it happen a few times, ALWAYS after a snowfall, when the branches of the pines start to sag they can reach them again.

That stinks Nesikep, apparently you have a different type of pine tree than we have.

ez14. said:
True Grit Farms said:
sstterry said:

And then turn around and amaze you with their will to die :nod: :bang:
No doubt!!!

True Grit Farms said:

Figured no way it was alive, then I knew it wasn't going to live. Our lucky day.
You need to install protective fencing around your swimming pool! If it happens again I'm calling your insurance company :hide: :lol2:

True Grit Farms said:
Nesikep said:
I'm neither most days

That stinks Nesikep, apparently you have a different type of pine tree than we have.
Yeah, Ponderosa pines, they have a fungus in them.. I only connected the dots this time around, but every time one has had a late-term abortion it's a couple days after a heavy snow, and for some stupid reason they just love eating those things

So what did you name your calf, Soggy? Swamp thing?

How can you call a bull calf Lucky when the next time he's in the catch pen he's getting castrated? I was all for naming him Lucky till I got to thinking about his future. I think it's best to stick to numbers for names when their bulls or steers.

That's great Grit. Had same thing happen 2 years ago with a nice thick lil baldie bull calf. We were gone for 2 days and when I found him he was frozen in the pond. Would have made a great steer. Glad you were around to save him.

True Grit Farms said:
How can you call a bull calf Lucky when the next time he's in the catch pen he's getting castrated? I was all for naming him Lucky till I got to thinking about his future. I think it's best to stick to numbers for names when their bulls or steers.

Then do 776... cuz he was almost lucky.

Latest posts