"rat-tailed" cows?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Well, I'm showing my ignorance again, but the only way to get over it is to ask someone. What in the world are cowmen talking about when they refer to a cow as being rat-tailed. I was told that if the tail was "slick" that that was what was called rat-tailed. When I asked what that was supposed to imply all I got in response was "genetics." What is meant by that? I'm not too good with these one word answers. I need a more in depth reply. Can anyone help me? I need to know if it is a bad thing or not because I have 2 heifers (simmental crosses that I just bought)that are "rat-tailed." Thanking all of you more knowledgable folks in advance, Bayoucowgirl.

[email protected]

If someone says a cow/calf is "rat-tailed" they mean the animal is "poor."

Basically the term means the animal is a stunt or generally has a bad build and looks drawn. Sometimes a calf will be humped in the back or pot bellied or somehow won't look the way you want them to. They don't look healthy and strong and vibrant. Besides their tail looking wimpy and not having much of a tassel they will have a weird build and their head will hang and they will act like they are worn out.

"Rat-Tail" usually refers to an animal that carries a diluter gene and has very short, kinky gray hair. Some have hardly no hair at all. The term comes from the fact that their tail looks almost like a rope. True rat-tails are probably inferior animals, however, many gray calves are referred to as rat-tails. We have kept grays for cows that many people would refer to as rat-tails, and they have produced well. However, I would not keep a "real rat-tail", as they will be inferior in muscling and quality.

> "Rat-Tail" usually
> refers to an animal that carries a
> diluter gene and has very short,
> kinky gray hair. Some have hardly
> no hair at all. The term comes
> from the fact that their tail
> looks almost like a rope. True
> rat-tails are probably inferior
> animals, however, many gray calves
> are referred to as rat-tails. We
> have kept grays for cows that many
> people would refer to as