range cubes

Help Support CattleToday:

S&J

Reaction score
I know this has been covered in the past somewhere, but I have two 800 pound steers I'm going to winter here in South Georgia. The pasture is still fairly green, but kind of stubbly due to not a whole lot of rain. I want to add some cubes to their diet without burning up their kidneys. I'm looking for an average daily ration recommendation. They get 2 pounds of 16% daily now. Thanks.
Steve

jkwilson

Reaction score
Do you have a slaughter date and weight in mind for them? Are you going for grass fed or do you plan to finish?

OP
S

S&J

Reaction score
The larger, Shrek, goes in to the freezer end of September. The smaller, Donkey, will be mid to late summer next year. Both are Jersey crosses. (My 5 year old grand daughter named them and helped with the bottle feeding) I will finish them, like always, on grass. Great tasting, tender, meat. :nod: :nod: :nod:

grannysoo

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with grass fed. All my cows eat grass. :lol: However, I do finish them off with a little 12% sweet feed. I normally give 1 pound per day per 100 pounds of body weight on the cow.

Makes grass fed even better.

OP
S

S&J

Reaction score
I'm not a wacha call purist by any means. Like I said, I'm feeding a couple of pounds of 16% daily, and will likely increase it. I was just wondering if others were in a similar boat with some fairly tough pastures that need to get eaten down. Oh yeah, we never implant any of our calves.
Steve

Latest posts