38% cubes

Help Support CattleToday:

38% cubes are good with dry grass or low protein hay. I've been feeding 3lbs a head every other day this winter and have been pleased with the results.

I am taking a class put on by our county/state extension. They did a cost comparison of protein tubs vs 20%cubes vs 38%cubes. All to obtain a certain level of nutrition. It worked out to .93/lb protein on tubs, .36/lb protein on 20%, and .30/lb protein on 38%s. I'm getting my local store to see if they can get them.

@fnfarms1 the cost of the protein is important, but you might want to check the source of the protein. To get 38% protein they could use cottonseed meal or soybean meal, but I suspect that at that price they're using Urea as the protein source. Maybe it doesn't matter to you and that's fine but if you're running a natural or organic operation that wouldn't be allowed.

@fnfarms1 the cost of the protein is important, but you might want to check the source of the protein. To get 38% protein they could use cottonseed meal or soybean meal, but I suspect that at that price they're using Urea as the protein source. Maybe it doesn't matter to you and that's fine but if you're running a natural or organic operation that wouldn't be allowed.
Repeat from past tub discussions: cattle can utilize up to some maximum limit of 7% (via memory from reading past research) protein via urea. Any other part beyond the upper limit merely passes through to the patty. No need to pay for such if that is all it is unless you just want a warm feeling.

Doubt it would have much urea in it.
Anyone priced nitrogen by the ton lately?
Let alone the price per gallon of urea that almost every vehicle with a diesel engine requires for a "clean burn"?

Doubt it would have much urea in it.
Anyone priced nitrogen by the ton lately?
Let alone the price per gallon of urea that almost every vehicle with a diesel engine requires for a "clean burn"?

Look at the date on the original post! Urea was a little cheaper at the time.

Urea will cause breeding problems if feed in long, and large amounts

Old post resurrected.
Murry, how did you make out with that protein source? Did it really turn out to be FREE?
Edit: Anytime @TexasBred takes the time to give you nutritional advice - TAKE IT.
There was a bunch of em. No such luck this year tho!
Cows loved em.
Pretty much fed like usual, just less of em. They did good on em.

Those were good times. Good times.
Over 400 a ton this year for 20% cubes
Screenshot_20221207-070828_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20221207-070810_Gallery.jpg

Ouch. Do you feed high protein because their feed is so poor?
I pretty much always cube in the winter. Hay this year is mostly last years hay. And was glad to get it!! Been rough drought
The only new hay I have this year is pretty nice crabgrass really.

I only feed twice a week and they seem to stay in pretty good shape thru winter. When it gets really really cold I'll feed 3 times a week.

Totally different subject, but the mama cows that are feeding several babies get fed daily, twice a day actually.

Latest posts