Ranch visit in Hawaii

Help Support CattleToday:

2/B or not 2/B

Reaction score
Been meaning to post a few pics from our visit to Hawaii in January. It felt so good to be in warm, tropical weather. We were only there a few days, but one of the highlights of our trip was visiting good friends who live and work on a large cattle ranch on the lower slopes of snow capped Mauna Kea Volcano (elevation 13,796 ft) on the big island. The rolling grasslands and big trees remind me of home, but it's tropical and green year round. Deep, dark ravines run down the hillsides. When cows slip in, which they sometimes do when they try to eat passion fruit growing in the ravines, they don't come out again. The ranch is approx. 3,000 acres ranging from 2,000 ft to 8,000 ft elevation. They run 5 herds of cattle - purebred Charolais, Hereford, Salers and 2 herds of crossbreds. We spent the day visiting but only saw a fraction of the place. It's a pure slice of heaven. For sale too, only $3.4 million, animals, equipment and homes included. To, me it's an unimaginable amount of money, but if I could afford it I'd think it was a bargain.

100_4192resized-1.jpg

Mauna Kea Observatories

100_4166resized-1.jpg

100_4179resized-1.jpg

Rolling hills as far as the eyes can see, with the ocean in the distance below and the snowy volcano top above.

100_4173-2.jpg

100_4147resized-1.jpg

Work crew

100_4136resized.jpg

Wild turkeys EVERYWHERE. Hogs and deer as well.

100_4158resized.jpg

Thanks for sharing those 2B! That price tag seems pretty inexpensive, heck folks are getting that $1000 per acre(I hope I did my math rght) for undeveloped mixed forested land in northern MN.

Angus Cowman":1t7jlqm4 said:
nice pictures
price tag doesn't seem that bad
I guess it would depend on what the ranch can produce
how many cows are they running on the 3000 acres ???
Seems like cows should be a sideline and hunting should be their mainstay

When I was in Hawaii in 2006 I was told that you don't actually own land there. That a purchase of land was actually a 100 year contract that went back to the state at the end of the 100 years. So there is actually nothing to pass down from generation to generation like on the mainland. I have no idea if there is any truth to that or not, but could explain the seemingly cheap price tag. Any one know for sure?

I know some but not too much about the place. There are several hundred head in each of the purebred herds, though I don't know the exact numbers. Not sure about the crossbreds. There are also quarter horses, used for work and show competitions. There are several houses, two barns and working corrals (one set at low elevation, one set at high elevation), tractors and trailers. Everything goes. There are ponds and huge holding tanks for water. There are old, established eucalyptus forests that were planted there a long time ago and could be harvested for biofuel. Several quarries. Yes, the hunting is abundant. Our friend hunts and castrates the wild pigs to keep them from breeding, but they're plentiful. Those dogs of his corner the pigs and he ropes them. The ranch is owned by a widow who's retiring. It's a beautiful place and it seems like there is a lot someone could do with it. There are some catches, however. Isomade, you are correct, in Hawaii, much of the land is on lease and can't be owned privately. Such is the case with the majority of this ranch. Only a small portion of it would belong permanently to the new owner. The uppermost portion contains a bird sanctuary. I'm sure what you can do there is restricted. Very interesting and breathtaking place though. If they still live there the next time we go back, we'll definitely explore more.

2/B or not 2/B":lkd9i2ih said:
I know some but not too much about the place. There are several hundred head in each of the purebred herds, though I don't know the exact numbers. Not sure about the crossbreds. There are also quarter horses, used for work and show competitions. There are several houses, two barns and working corrals (one set at low elevation, one set at high elevation), tractors and trailers. Everything goes. There are ponds and huge holding tanks for water. There are old, established eucalyptus forests that were planted there a long time ago and could be harvested for biofuel. Several quarries. Yes, the hunting is abundant. Our friend hunts and castrates the wild pigs to keep them from breeding, but they're plentiful. Those dogs of his corner the pigs and he ropes them. The ranch is owned by a widow who's retiring. It's a beautiful place and it seems like there is a lot someone could do with it. There are some catches, however. Isomade, you are correct, in Hawaii, much of the land is on lease and can't be owned privately. Such is the case with the majority of this ranch. Only a small portion of it would belong permanently to the new owner. The uppermost portion contains a bird sanctuary. I'm sure what you can do there is restricted. Very interesting and breathtaking place though. If they still live there the next time we go back, we'll definitely explore more.

Does the lady have a phone? :hat:

Went to Maui in 2005. Farm ground there was not as impressive as that of the big island. You didn't get a whole lot for a million dollars.
Bear

My contact in Maui has had a long period of drought over the last ten years, after a visit to Australia, he has started a new breeding program introducing new genetics to develop a better adapted herd for his climatic and grazing conditions.
I would certainly preferr to return to that type of challenging climate than stay in this temperate zone, too cold and wet for me!!

LOL, I agree completely! Plus their droughts, while serious for them, are still quite wet compared to ours. However, it doesn't take more than one look at the steaming active volcano on the other side of the big island to remember that you can very easily be wiped off the island at almost any time.

I was just speaking to a friend about relocating my herd to Hawaii. This might just be the place, now off to buy a lotto ticket . ;-)

Thanks for sharing pics .

@ TexasBred It does tend to get boring living in such a beautiful, yet tiny state. I like to vacation on the mainland, just for it's immense size.

alohacattle":2jxffvum said:
@ TexasBred It does tend to get boring living in such a beautiful, yet tiny state. I like to vacation on the mainland, just for it's immense size.
Can't imagine getting bored in that beauty. The way I can roam I think I could always find something new to do. If I got bored I might have to get out the old speedo, a bottle of Coppertone and a six pack and waddle down to the beach and do a little people watching as a last resort. :lol:

Don't think I could ever get bored in Hawaii, I love the sun and could just laze about for a few days a week in between working.
Andy are you sick of this weather we have here to?

chrisy":2cddlt1a said:
Don't think I could ever get bored in Hawaii, I love the sun and could just laze about for a few days a week in between working.
Andy are you sick of this weather we have here to?
Yes Chrisy, this last bout of weather was really depressing, I doubt there was a single day in Dec/Jan when I didn't arrive home cold and wet! Hope you are recovering Chrisy, and we can organise a visit once the weather improves.