Ranch Management Software

Help Support CattleToday:

DiamondSCattleCo

Reaction score
I've been looking around for ranch management software, and have demo'ed a couple (CattleMax 2006, Ranch Manager v1.0) CattleMax, I found to be unimpressive due to some bugs and some user interface limitations. Ranch Manager does most things that I'd like to see it do, but it is missing a few small items. Plus Ranch Manager is several hundred dollars cheaper.

So what else is out there that people are using? Any comparisons? I know there are a couple other products (can't recall the names) but they didn't have demos available.

Rod

Redwing has a product, and back a year or so ago we pretty well hammared out the subject of software. A search should bring it up and you'll be able to get ideas from folks that don;t participate anymore.

dun

We have been using Cattleworks, there are some things that it does not do that I wish it did. I looked up Ranch manager and it looks pretty interesting.

DiamondSCattleCo":2a558kms said:
Thanks txag. I missed the search button :oops: Sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees. :oops:

no problem, Diamond. there may be some more suggestions offered this time around, too.

as you probably saw from the earlier threads, we use CattleMax (registered, standard) & have been quite pleased. we haven't upgraded to '06 but did upgrade to Version II. the tech support is great & i would guess that any "bugs" you saw will be worked out soon. they frequently come out with free updates to download to fix problems although most of the problems they say they're fixing are problems i never noticed in the first place, but i'm sure someone probably did. :D

CattlePro is another one with good reviews, but also a little pricey. good luck.

From what I'm seeing so far, I may end up writing my own. Each package has a few options that I'd like to have, but thus far, none of them have everything I want. Its a shame to duplicate work that others have already done though.

Tell me, with the CattleMax demo, I couldn't get an entire list of my animals (filtered by cow, bull, calf, etc) on the screen. What was I missing?

Also, I wanted a list of cows (or bulls), with the average performance of their calves. I'd also like to see average calf performance by cow, but grouped by bull. So if cow #1 had 6 calves by three sires, I'd want three listings of average performance.

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":3g8krctm said:
From what I'm seeing so far, I may end up writing my own. Each package has a few options that I'd like to have, but thus far, none of them have everything I want. Its a shame to duplicate work that others have already done though.

Tell me, with the CattleMax demo, I couldn't get an entire list of my animals (filtered by cow, bull, calf, etc) on the screen. What was I missing?

Also, I wanted a list of cows (or bulls), with the average performance of their calves. I'd also like to see average calf performance by cow, but grouped by bull. So if cow #1 had 6 calves by three sires, I'd want three listings of average performance.

Rod

The demo is restricted to the number of entrys to give you a concept of what you can do, the bought version allows you to enter everything. I've found that the custom reports deal is one of the handiest components. I've generated and saved a bunch of custom reports that show calves by cow and their performance, balves by bulls and their performance and use the reports to see what bull nicks with what cow.
Like txag, we haven;t upgraded to the 06 version since the older version does everything and more then I want to do.
I had written my own software and used it for years, but as needs changed and I had more things that were required I found it was easier (getting lazy in my old age) to have someone else do it for me.
In any of this software, the most important element is customer service. Some of the software company never bothered to respond to questions. The folks at Cattlemax were always johhny at the rat hole to help me out.

dun

DiamondSCattleCo":eqom3g3u said:

the Demo may not do it, but this can be done by setting up a Report (Custom Report). when i need a list of all the cattle, i usually want them separated into pastures so i also sort by pasture.

DiamondSCattleCo":eqom3g3u said:

a Custom Report should be able to do this for you, too. i know it can do the first part with just listing the cows (or bulls) and the performance of their calves (which can also be seen from the individual's page under the tab "Offspring"), but the avg calf performance by cows grouped by bull may need to be done in separate reports with a filter on each sire. i'm not on the computer with CattleMax right now or i'd check it out & find out for you.

have you called or e-mailed them with your questions/problems?

Thanks for the info, y'all. I was planning on a phone call to their techies, as it does appear to be missing some obvious things, such as a breeding planner (a warning if you're about to in-breed). I'd also like to be able to select what primary ID displays in the selection list on a per cow basis (most of the stock around here is ID'ed by tags, but there are a few old timers who are named and we wouldn't have a sniff what tag # they are :))

Rod

DiamondSCattleCo":wp3aku4h said:
I'd also like to be able to select what primary ID displays in the selection list on a per cow basis (most of the stock around here is ID'ed by tags, but there are a few old timers who are named and we wouldn't have a sniff what tag # they are :))

Rod

you can do that, too. somehow our bulls usually get names & i just put that in as their i.d. instead of a tag number (their tag/tattoo will also be listed on their main page). easier for me to look up "George" than 174 P72 :D so in the little sort box "Find Cattle" with the drop down arrow, almost everything comes up by tag number except the few that have names.

As above, we have used Cattle Max for registered herd for years and will be upgrading to the newest version. We like it very much, the tech support is extremely good, and if you have suggestions, they listen.

billy

Have you checked out emerge?? I have farm works software but it has bugs too. Emerge has a great system, wish I had looked at it before I bought farm works, it is more complete and user friendly.

Latest posts