Ranch hand "type" bumbers

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Hit a deer on the way to church last night. Thankfully, didn't hurt: the grill. hood, headlight. Just the bumper. Seems like a good time to switch from the flimzy, OEM to a ranch hand, or maybe a knock off ranch hand type..........Any advice, or a supplier?

I've got a few of the Ranch Hand name brand ones, and there's one from GR Trailers on the front of my wife's truck. Not a nickel's worth of difference between the two.

I like the Ranch hand products.
The guy I would consider my body work man advised against one. He said it'll lead more structural damage in the next wreck. the el cheapo OEM stuff is designed to fail. The well built bumper transfers the energy to the frame. I still want one.

The guy I would consider my body work man advised against one. He said it'll lead more structural damage in the next wreck. the el cheapo OEM stuff is designed to fail. The well built bumper transfers the energy to the frame. I still want one.
I've hit quite a few deer over the years, including one at 55ish front and center with one of those RH bumper deals - only thing it hurt was my license plate. Also used that particular truck to persuade some fairly heavy bulls to go where they didn't want to go.

I've heard the comment about the heavy bumpers can cause more damage with bending the frame. If you hit something hard enough to bend the frame, how much damage would be done to the body and components with a light bumper?

I've got a RH on a 3/4 ton and hit a couple of deer doing 50-55 mph. I did notice some hair near the front license plate area. I think one would have to hit a water buffalo square on to bend the frame!!

Mr FarmS agrees with your body man. They will bent your frame before they will do anything else. They may look neat not the best option. He used to own a body shop knows a thing or do about that stuff.
Heck your old enough to know better and still do what you want. If it makes you happy buy one. 😎

An RH type bumper might result in the airbags not deploying in low energy collisions and often that is a good thing. An expended airbag is EXPENSIVE and cost as much (or more) to fix as the front end damage.
(Not getting in to whether the sheet metal saving RH bumper is more important than the life saving airbag)

I had to replace the left front headlight assy on a nearly new silverado (new enough there were no aftermarket/3rd party replacement parts out yet)
Over $300 at the dealership for just the dinky plastic headlight assy.
A RH bumper would have prevented the damage.

Ranch Hand, Tough Country, several others. Depends on what style you want. They are all about the same quality. They all need to be sand blasted and get a good paint job before you ever put them on a truck.

I do not run grill guards any more for the reason they cause more damage than prevent it. I do think a good full replacement saves from small stuff like deer bumping a cow or gate or some thing. When you tear them up it wasn't going to matter at that point what you had.

We run aluminum bumpers on our 1 tons. They've kept us from damage and they don't weigh a ton. We have a HERD aluminum bumper on our current pickup. We have had Truck Defender and one other kind years ago. Can't remember what it was.

I can't see the grille guards hurting anything more than the front clip in a collision. They basically bolt onto the front bumper, worst they would do is fold it up and smash the front clip.

Now the full blown fabricated replacement bumpers are a different story, they would surely do some damage to the frame horns in a collision.

Same goes for receiver hitches, leave them in and you're now transferring all that force straight into the frame if you get rear ended.

Latest posts