Hand spun seeder. Maybe a SOLO brand

Help Support CattleToday:

OzssieDave19

Reaction score
G'day gang. I have a few acres a tractor and a cultivator. I have cultivated a paddock of about half an acre, broadcast seed a fert blend by hand and harrowed in. Got a good crop but man it took some effort. Are those hand crank spreaders any good and for the small outlay going to save work and time?

I'm a low cost guy and like to keep things simple.

I've got one that I've used to spread Dahl grass on brushy hillsides. It's mainly used at work when we make ruts we'll smooth them out and put down a little grass seed as we're finishing up. It's better than just chunking it around for sure.

The ones that have a canvas bag that holds the seed and the top has a zipper and a strap you throw over your shoulder work really well. You would have no problem seeding 1/2 acre or even more.

we have an antique one.. it works alright, a little hard to get accurate calibration though.. One year I had a stripe in my field where my seed didn't catch for some strange reason, i went over it with the hand seeder and that worked well

So it's not a totally mad idea. Lol. I'm the type of guy that enjoys doing things himself as opposed to paying a contractor and sitting on the fence.

Anyone know what the spread width would be for say Rye grass?

I have one, for 100 - 1000 square metres in dry weather it's good, for a few acres I'd reckon you could borrow one of the trailed-spreaders that are designed to go on the back of an ATV? Hand spinner gives a more even spread and is easier on the hands than just chucking it on the ground.
Not sure what brand I have but you can see how far the seed flies, and mine seems to go about 1 - 2 metres at most to the left but several metres to the right. It's got three positions that control how fast the seed flies out I use the middle one for ryegrass. Or the fastest one and walk really fast.

If you can get your hands on a fertiliser spreader, something like this -

Spread the fertiliser first then the seed(don't mix them) and just disc it in lightly...then pray for rain :D

I have never used a solo but I have an Earth Way and it works great. You can do however much you want depending on how much you want to walk and refill them. We use them for food plots and do a few acres with them and find that they spread seed quite evenly.

I have used most of them extensively over the years. My gripe is that they just do not hold up.....now I have a lot of small paddocks and usually sow something after every grazing so I am using them two or three times per week....seldom have one of the shoulder bag seeders last a year. the mechanical parts just go to grinding or skipping... bought an overseeder to do bigger areas and just do it by hand for smaller areas...I broadcast two small paddocks yesterday by hand....these had been sacrifice lots for the horses for a little while and I put a cool season small seed mix on them which will show up in the spring.

alisonb said:
If you can get your hands on a fertiliser spreader, something like this -

Spread the fertiliser first then the seed(don't mix them) and just disc it in lightly...then pray for rain :D
Have you noticed that all fertilizer spreaders of that style are made in Italy? I've looked at quite a few brands. Even the Tarter brand which says it's made in the USA and has American flag decals on it has "Made in Italy" stamped on the metal.

OzssieDave19 said:
Anyone know what the spread width would be for say Rye grass?
Ryegrass is very lightweight and doesn't spread far, maybe 4-5 ft each side so 8-10ft total spread width and any wind will throw it off. You'll likely need a lot of overlap because most of the seed won't make it to the edge of the spread width and will fall in the middle. You can adjust accordingly by eyeballing it.

chaded said:
I have never used a solo but I have an Earth Way and it works great. You can do however much you want depending on how much you want to walk and refill them. We use them for food plots and do a few acres with them and find that they spread seed quite evenly.

I've had one of the Earth Way models for close to 20 years. Can't tell you how many times my friends have borrowed it for food plots and such. Handy little booger.

pdfangus said:
twenty years ago they were better quality....the last earthway I had did not last me six months .

Ha!

I've got one of the small Herd brand 12 volt seeders that mounts to an ATV rack, made an adaptor where I can put it on the front of my UTV and pull a drag behind it. Those things are well built.

ga.prime said:
Have you noticed that all fertilizer spreaders of that style are made in Italy? I've looked at quite a few brands. Even the Tarter brand which says it's made in the USA and has American flag decals on it has "Made in Italy" stamped on the metal.

Had an old one knocking around here which I recently sold. It was green and yellow but can't recall the make...would have been interesting ;-)

Latest posts