Raising Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I am 15 years old and starting to raise beef cattle for 4-h. I have already decided on a black angus steer however my knowlege mainly rests with sheep adn I know very little about cows. Does anyone have any advice or tips for me?

[email protected]

You should have some good resources from 4H. Nutrition is different for cattle than sheep, but animal handling is similar in many ways. A calm gentle manner will get you farther than a rodeo attitude. Time spent around your steer will pay off when show time comes. You can never brush a show animal too much. The more he trusts you the better he will perform and show. Always talk to your steer when you are around him. Use a low gentle voice, never startle him by walking up behind him too quietly.

Good luck with your project.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

> You should have some good
> resources from 4H. Nutrition is
> different for cattle than sheep,
> but animal handling is similar in
> many ways. A calm gentle manner
> will get you farther than a rodeo
> attitude. Time spent around your
> steer will pay off when show time
> comes. You can never brush a show
> animal too much. The more he
> trusts you the better he will
> perform and show. Always talk to
> your steer when you are around
> him. Use a low gentle voice, never
> startle him by walking up behind
> him too quietly.

> Good luck with your project.

> Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus
> Farms Alberta Canada

We show heifers at home but the showing is the same. Talk to your leaders and the local feed rep to help get a balanced ration and how much to feed him, start off slow and work him up to full feed, you'll need to aim for a date that you want him to be finished (4-H leaders are a great help for stuff like this) Make sure you have your calf vacinated, wormed and deliced, this will make it easier for him to gain weight, check in to implants too. On the showing thing brush and lead him and work with him everyday (its a lot of work but its fun)Try to get him use to different people and places, don't always lead him in the same spot. Talk to your leaders, other members and neighbours, they have been a really big help to me. I started when I was your age and now I sold most of my cows to pay for college but I don't have to borrow any money. Good Luck!!

Del

[email protected]

Latest posts