Raising cattle in Missouri

Help Support CattleToday:

KMacGinley

Reaction score
I wondered if any of you Native Missourians could comment on your operations in Missouri... I am interested in the possibility of immigrating there, and I wondered about the dynamics of it... Land prices, winter feeding etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

KMacGinley":1v2pwdxi said:
I wondered if any of you Native Missourians could comment on your operations in Missouri... I am interested in the possibility of immigrating there, and I wondered about the dynamics of it... Land prices, winter feeding etc. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Good luck with the language. ;-) ;-) ;-) :lol:

Seriously. I don't live there but a i was partially raised there and if I could pry my wife out of Colo I would be in Mo in a heartbeat. Good country, and except for a couple of transplants I know, good people too. :nod:

I'm not a native, but the one thing to always keep in mind is high endophyte fescue

Just don't move near Angus Cowman. He will want free work all the time. He and several others on here are natives and can tell you there a lot of differences in what part of the state you are interested in.

There are several different "micro climates" in Missouri, so be sure to find out about the specific area, not just "Missouri". There is a lot of good cattle country here, good land that is too hilly to farm but makes great pasture. Most people don't know that Missouri is the number two beef producer in the US, behind Texas.

MO_cows":2kj6w4ai said:
There are several different "micro climates" in Missouri, so be sure to find out about the specific area, not just "Missouri". There is a lot of good cattle country here, good land that is too hilly to farm but makes great pasture. Most people don't know that Missouri is the number two beef producer in the US, behind Texas.

If this drought doesn't break you are going to be number one.

I would suggest you take a week and just drive around in the areas that you are interested in. Stop in the convenience stores and just chat with the people working there. If they seem to be pretty decent folks at a numer of the stores you can feel pretty confident that the community is that way. If they tend towards being jerks you can be pretty confident that the community is like that too.

dun":1dsn6e7g said:
I would suggest you take a week and just drive around in the areas that you are interested in. Stop in the convenience stores and just chat with the people working there.
Talk to the people working in convenience stores here and you might pick up some tips on cooking with curry.

ga.prime":3ry3417n said:
dun":3ry3417n said:
I would suggest you take a week and just drive around in the areas that you are interested in. Stop in the convenience stores and just chat with the people working there.
Talk to the people working in convenience stores here and you might pick up some tips on cooking with curry.
If that's the kind of community you want to live in, fine

I am sw of Springfield, so I am not thoroughly familiar with all of Texas County. Thre is alot of good pasture land, there. The land is alot cheaper there than in my area but is just as good for pasture. There is alot more smaller timber in Ozark, Texas, and other eastern counties. There used to be alot of timber mills and post mills. The Sheeks cattle ranch at Cabool had about 9 thousand cattle and about 30 thousan acres at one time, until the parents died and the children split it up and sold out. Texas has the biggest deer kill of any county in Missouri. I bought some real nice registered British Whites from a guy just north of there and used to know some people from Houston, they were very nice people. I don't know of anything off the top of my head that would be a reason not to go there, but they do raise alot of cattle. Good luck

Anywhere you go in Mo. you're gonna' have to deal with fescue. One difference in North and South, in my opinion, is in the North we can somewhat fight it, cuz' our land can be plowed and worked. A good stand of brome will keep fescue at bay somewhat.
But, Kmac, you're gonna' pay 15-2000 an acre around here and you're gonna' put up more hay than down south. Winters north of the Mo. river valley mean mud, mud and more mud. Nothing like the the mud you got in Indiana, here it doesn't drain, it just gotta' dry.
Wish I was younger, a couple of farms just sold, connected that would have been able to put together 800 acres of cattle farm, already seeded to brome and mostly set up. Averaged somewhere in the 1700 range. The guy that bought it is tearing out all fences, corrals, barns, and gonna' farm it. Kinda' funny to us that have lived here all our lives, in this area the ones farming all the pasture that was seeded 20 years ago, weren't here the last time it was tried. In a few years, when they're raising 10 bushel beans and 60 bushel corn, it'll be goin' back to pasture again. gs

ALACOWMAN":nbc2zg6v said:
jedstivers":nbc2zg6v said:
ALACOWMAN":nbc2zg6v said:
and one tip that will ruin a conversation,, dont ever start out with,,,, the way we do it up north'' :cowboy:
But all of MO is up north.
well we still claim the lower end the little notch wedged between Ark. and TN.
:cowboy:
We call it the boot heel. As the story goes, one man owned all that land. He was POed at the Arkansas government, and had it put in Missouri. Or something to that effect, I've slept since Arkansas history class.

In reality MO is divided into 3 parts. The part north of the MO river is the midwest, the part south of it is Missouri. A small section of Missouri is the OZARKS

I am begginning to miss my Hills and Hollers been down here in this dag blasted flat land for 10 days and all it has done is rain then the wind started blowing and turned all this dirt to dust and covered everything
if these unlucky folks had a few rocks to hold that dirt down it wouldn't be near as dusty
plus the ol boy I am down here helping out has worked me like a borrowed mule
been leaving the house before daylight and not getting in until WAY after dark a nite or two when we came in it was near morning
got to go home and work cows and start baling some baleage just so's I can get some rest

Angus Cowman":2vloji94 said:
I am begginning to miss my Hills and Hollers been down here in this dag blasted flat land for 10 days and all it has done is rain then the wind started blowing and turned all this dirt to dust and covered everything
if these unlucky folks had a few rocks to hold that dirt down it wouldn't be near as dusty
plus the ol boy I am down here helping out has worked me like a borrowed mule
been leaving the house before daylight and not getting in until WAY after dark a nite or two when we came in it was near morning
got to go home and work cows and start baling some baleage just so's I can get some rest

I ask Jed yesterday if you were still alive or if he just could not get you off that John Deere. He said you did not have time to talk.