Raising Cattle In East Tennessee

Help Support CattleToday:

heybidder

Reaction score
My family farmed crops and cattle for many generations, but got out of the cattle business a few years before I came along. I'm interested in getting into the cattle business. What breed and weight would you all suggest I get. Keep in mind I live in Upper East Tennessee. I would like to get a few head and beef one a year for myself and sell some off each year...

:welcome: From across the mountain in VA
Are you looking to just buy steers and sell them for slaughter beef? If so angus cross work well in this area.

:welcome: my fellow Tennesseean

Not sure if you're planning on getting into cow/calf or feeder calves, but good Black and Black White Face cattle always bring top dollar around here. I've also seen some dandy yellow or tan CharolaisXLimousin cross calves. The ones I've seen seem to grow really good and the owners seem happy with the price they bring.

heybidder":3873b1zw said:
My family farmed crops and cattle for many generations, but got out of the cattle business a few years before I came along. I'm interested in getting into the cattle business. What breed and weight would you all suggest I get. Keep in mind I live in Upper East Tennessee. I would like to get a few head and beef one a year for myself and sell some off each year...

You're gonna have to keep the grill hot to eat a whole beef in a year. :D I like hereford cows, with a homozygous SimAngus or Lim Flex bull. You get the black hide, the white face, a good heavy calf, and a good price. Youll see herefords anywhere from Tx to Minnesota. They do well in just about any climate, on average pasture and hay, and aside from the occasional lunatic, they're good gentle cows.

I was in your position about 2 years ago and decided to (I know alot of people dont agree) go to the sale barns in chattanooga area and buy several bred cows and some cow-calf pairs and have done pretty good raised many good calfs and have got some really good cows out of it. I did get several cows that would not breed back and some that wouldn't or couldn't feed their calf but over all have done pretty good over the last 2 years. now have about 30 plus cows and expecting a really good calving season this year with 2 good bull calves on the ground now.

Thanks for all of the info folks...I have my eyes on some black white face cows at the moment

Latest posts