Raising/Breeding.

Help Support CattleToday:

Agitup08

Reaction score
:help: -I am 14 years old and interested in the Cattle Business and i would like to pursue it. I have quite a few questions that need to be answered before I do anything. If anyone can answer any and all of my questions please do! First, i'll tell you a little bit about my situation. My name is Rachel and like i said i am 14years old. I am currently about to show a Purebred Brahman Heifer and the actual owner is going to breed her in a year or 2 and my plan is to buy her calf if it is a heifer. I want to buy her, work with her (to show), and hopefully later to breed her and sell her calves. So, Here we go:
-At what age/weight should a heifer be to have her bred?
-At what age should the calf be weaned off of the mother?
-What percentage of protein should be in the calfs feed? Or what should be in the calfs feed?
-^Do you start giving it feed a few days after birth? or weeks? months? etc?
-Pretty much the same question as ^^ but I just want to be clear: What age do you give them grain?
-What shots and at what age do you administer the shots?
-What age should you steer a bull calf? &What is the best way to do it? Banding? Etc.
-&Last but definitely not the last question I will have but the last one I can think of: What is a good/fair price to sell a purebred heifer/bull calf? &The best age to do it? :D
Please answer these questions to the best of your ability: Any responses are greatly appreciated!

I am a just getting started in the Brahman breed.
Breed Brahman heifers at 18-24 months. Some people in the board may not agree but all the big name Brahman breeders breed heifers at that age.
I vaccinate at weaning. Find a good vet he will tell you what to vaccinate them with.

Email a big Brahman breeder like JD Hudgins or HK Cattle Co they can answer you questions. Brahman are different from other breeds so the info some people in here may not apply for Brahman cattle.

By the way

WELCOME TO THE CATTLE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!

@BrafordMan: Thank you so much! If you have an e-mail for them please let me know and i will jump on that!
@Slick4591: Cool, i don't eat much pork or beef &i don't like gravy.. haha
@TennesseeTuxedo: Thanks, & if you have any questions that don't have to do with Breeding and newborns i might be able to help but i don't know.
Thank you again!:)

Wow, congrats on having the opportunity to get into this at 14!!! I would have loved to get into this my entire life, and I just got mine a little more then a month ago, and I'm 31!!! I have had other livestock(horses, pigs, chickens) but those ventures ended, and I finally got to follow my dream of cattle! I love all your questions and look forward to reading some answers as well!!! :)

@Qwerkyangus: thank you i am happy to be able to do it now too! i showed pigs and rabbits this is my first year doing cattle and i absolutely LOVE it! Thanks again and goodluck with yours!:)
@TennesseeTuxedo: You don't have worry about me sticking around!:)

Agitup08":1qbin30w said:

-At what age/weight should a heifer be to have her bred?

Mine are bred at/around 15 months, but for Brahman it is usually older, up to 24.
-At what age should the calf be weaned off of the mother?

Mine are weaned roughly 7-8 months, give or take and depending on the condition of the mother. If its a first-timer sometimes I'll wean a bit younger.

-What percentage of protein should be in the calfs feed? Or what should be in the
calfs feed?

16% is a good start.

-^Do you start giving it feed a few days after birth? or weeks? months? etc?

I start feed at a few days only if its a bottle calf. If the mother is getting any feed, at any time, the babies will 'nibble' at it. Weaned (off their mothers) calves get started at weaning , around 7-8 months. (I do not creep)

-What shots and at what age do you administer the shots?

At around 3 to 4 months they get IBR, BVD, Ultra-Bac 7 ("black-leg") and follow-up boosters about 4-6 weeks later. Sometimes they'll get their first vaccines at weaning with the boosters 4-6 weeks later, all depends on the situation during the year. Heifers that I decide to keep will be "Bangs" (Brucellosis) vaccinated before they're 12 mos.

-What age should you steer a bull calf? &What is the best way to do it? Banding? Etc.
I band at birth, Where I work they also band at birth unless the calf is a bull prospect, then later on at weaning time the ones that aren't panning out get cut.
-&Last but definitely not the last question I will have but the last one I can think of: What is a good/fair price to sell a purebred heifer/bull calf? &The best age to do it? :D
Price depends on the quality of the animal, market value etc. Many variables for different situations and circumstances.

Keep in mind, my answers are based on my experiences and my situation. I raise commercial beef animals, not show animals and I don't have any Brahman or any other 'eared' cattle.

As for vaccines, your vet would be the best one to suggest what you should use and when, for your area of the country. Different methods, different needs for different areas.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the boards.

Katherine

Brahman calves and calves in genral can have as much protein as they want. 12% is usually the best 14% is ok but i wouldnt go higher then that.

Adult brahman cows do not need any feed(grain,cubes etc.) with over 12% protein. It can founder them. Protein tubs or supplilements like that are ok since they consume small amounts.
I feed a few cubes to my brahman for treats but i do not give them alot like i would do my other breeds.

You have a show heifer so she is gentle already. But when you have a whole herd of brahman even the quietest cow can get worked up when pushed. Handle them slowly. Do not force brahman do anything they do not want to do.

I am 16 and i handle all my brahman cattle by myself. I rarely need help handling them, but i will ask for help if i need it. Treat your brahman with respect and they will show you affection in return.

They main thing is to gain the brahman cows respect. All my brahman are quiet and easy to work.

Be careful at calving especially with brahman. Your nicest cow can become your worst nightmare. Give them their space, they will bring the calves up when they are ready.

If you plan on building a herd, make sure that disposition is at the top of your list for selection. I do not bring home any crazy females.

BRahman after weaing usually sell for $2000 and up depending on quality and genetics.

@BrafordMan: Thank You! Yeah; in the pasture we have a lot of Brahman and most of them are expecting! Again: Thank You so much! This helps a lot!

Latest posts