Rain

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

It's July 2; it's 70 degrees and raining. Not a hard rain, just steady and looks like it will last several hours. All the cracks in the ground are gone (for now), grass is the best we've had in several years; amazing what rain can do for one's disposition!
<br>
<br><hr size=4 width=75%><p>

[email protected]

Frankie,<br>Send me some of that rain LOL. We had a couple of days of good rain about a week ago, but you can't tell it now...back to being dry again.<br>
<br>

Still no rain to speak of here. Crops are 4 inches tall and heading out. Most won't even be worth baling as feed. I never seeded my oats as there wasn't enough moisture to carry them past grass stage. <p><br>Hay from irrigation is getting pricy over $100 a ton already. Closest cheap hay is 400 miles away, but fuel prices make it $85 a ton laid in. Price is climbing on that too as dry areas of the States are being subsidized for trucking and with the stronger dollar, makes us unable to compete for hay in many areas.<p>Some herds are being listed for sale, but with purebreds that isn't a good option, it would take too long to rebuild. <p>100 miles from here they have good rain and are doing well, 300 miles from here they are drowning in it.<p>Jason Trowbridge<br>Southern Angus Farms<br>Alberta Canada<br>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":1ceewugg said:
:We have not had any rain to speak of a few inches here and there. We planted a garden in the middle of May it has never been realy wet from rain once, a few sprinkles. <br>: I'm sure you've all heard of the Mesa Verde fire<br>(Bircher fire) well it's just across the highway.<br>: to the point; the reason I"m writting is we are running out of pasture. We have plenty of acreage<br>but it is just too dry. My brother in law has a place with 20 shares of water,23 acres. We have already moved 22 cows over there. Heifers, steers,<br>1 heifer bull and a few cows. We still have <br>approximately 17 pairs here and a bull and a couple cows who did not calf. Can 23 acres support all these cows? if not how many? There is lots of grass and water more than we know what to do with.<br>Also we are going to take the heifer bull and a couples cows to sale.I feel like it could handle this herd the other have even made a difference in this pasture.
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts