Rain

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I know some are dealing with extreme cold but in our neck of the woods it is so wet the mud is muddy. I am not one to complain about rain because I would rather have rain than drought or freezing temperatures. The boss has a million projects planned for this time of year and the rain is keeping him from accomplishing everything he has planned, he gets grumpy if he can't be outside doing something. As you all know rain and grumpy both run dow hill and I find I am at the freaking bottom of the hill! I am saying a little prayer for some sunshine and won't complain if it's still cold!

I know some are dealing with extreme cold but in our neck of the woods it is so wet the mud is muddy. I am not one to complain about rain because I would rather have rain than drought or freezing temperatures. The boss has a million projects planned for this time of year and the rain is keeping him from accomplishing everything he has planned, he gets grumpy if he can't be outside doing something. As you all know rain and grumpy both run dow hill and I find I am at the freaking bottom of the hill! I am saying a little prayer for some sunshine and won't complain if it's still cold!
Ya'll should pack up and take a vacation. Someplace sunny, like Florida.

Weather sucks but something none of us can control even with the most well thought out plans. Pretty sure once things thaw out here eventually the snow and cold we have dealt with is going to be a big muddy mess next when the snow melts off. Not sure exactly what the snowfall total for this winter is at but it was over 40" last time I saw which is well over average for us. We have piles of snow and around a foot still covering the ground in many spots where it isn't drifted up. We had severe drought last summer so the moisture is needed but unfortunately a lot of this will probably run off when it melts because the ground will still be frozen. Right now just hoping we don't have any early calves as 1st ones are due around the 22nd so we're in that range now 10 days out they could. High today is -2 with forecasted highs of 1 -6 -7 and 2 before we even hit double digits again Weds at 11. Just seems to be 1 thing after another here as we had a derecho last year too that caused a lot of damage for some people.

Some relief in sight as current forecasted high on the 20th is 33. Been seeing a lot of photos of calves in hot boxes or inside lately, I'm sure some wonder why people even bother calving this early but normally it is not this cold on an average year. The earliest we start to calve is usually Feb 20th or later but know some in the area will start calving a month sooner than that. I know some seedstock breeders like to calve early so their yearling bulls have a couple extra months of age/growth that will give them an advantage going into breeding season which is understandable and a risk you take that you may have some crummy weather to deal with early in the year too.

Hope everyone stays warm/dry etc. and safe with whatever weather you are dealing with!