Difference a rain makes

Help Support CattleToday:

Since things thawed out I don't think we've had much over an inch of rain here, while 100 miles away they've been having monsoons! We've seen the clouds go by and gotten nothing except for 2 nights ago it rained a bit... dusty by afternoon though anyhow. Good to hear you got some, and that bull calf looks pretty good for 2 months... and being a herf! :hide: :)

Glad to hear ya'll are getting some rain. Congratulations on the thick and masculine two month old bull calf. It has been raining here everyday. I am running 1.5 head per acre on one pasture and still mowing to keep it under control. Should be a hay year for the record books.

Nice looking bull calf Alex! What is the breeding on it? We hear you on the rain, last 2 summers we had drought and ran out of water in the summer pasture and had to bale CRP just to have enough hay to get through the fall and winter. Now there are part of the state dealing with flooding today because they've been dumped with about 8" of rain or more in the past 2-3 days with more on the way. We haven't had that kind of rain in our part of the state but getting some timely rains that really have the pastures looking good and the cows finally starting to milk and look like they should be. We've early weaned the past 2 years to take the stress off the cows, so far if the rain patterns hold up over this summer will hopefully get the cows back up to more ideal body conditions and be able to leave the calves on the cows a little longer. Unfortunately the CRP grass we bale off of is not the best quality either and a little weedy so sometimes the cows will even be picky about eating those bales as they will eat anything else they can find that tastes better before they consistently eat those bales down in a manner like the usually do when you know you will have to put another bale out after a certain number of days. I guess we can't complain too much as there is a lot tougher drought conditions in other parts of the country right now but it's definitely been 2 tough summers on the herd when it's the only 2 summers in over 30 years on that pasture that we've ever had creeks run dry before the end of the summer and been forced to move them back to the main farm and bite the bullet on the costs of drinking off automatic waterers and feeding hay sooner than usual.

Most of the ponds are full in this locale. There is a pedigree link for the calf below his picture.

Real nice King Domino bull calf! Do you have a picture of his dam? I'm sure I saw her last summer while I was there but I can't
remember the number to put with the cow.
DM

mrvictordomino":2vgux1uj said:
Real nice King Domino bull calf! Do you have a picture of his dam? I'm sure I saw her last summer while I was there but I can't
remember the number to put with the cow.
DM
Here's a couple pics of the 902 cow and 1414. She is a 3165 daughter out of a 71224 daughter. 3165 was a full brother to KPHR HL1 KING DOM 8. Billy Ashe recommended I try to get semen on 3165 from Mench's in Indiana. They do milk well. They are a lot like the 8 daughters. Billy Ashe also recommended the 71224 bull from Onstad's in Montana. The 902 cow is a maternal sister to the fatty cow that is the dam of my 1018 herd bull.

Latest posts