Rain Rot

Help Support CattleToday:

fellersbarnoneranch

Reaction score
Hate to say, but with all the rain...what a mess!!! I have a wenling colt with a bit of rot over the hips. I used clorox/water wash on a couple a couple of years ago, but I don't like the "heat" it brings. Anybody have any thoughtful suggestions?

I hear you! FINALLY, after 10 days of clouds, mist, drizzle, and cool, the sun came out this morning here in Panhandle (we're on US 83)! May be short-lived??? Our ground is saturated, even though we have approx. 40' deep sand here (based on our well driller's log).

Some (non-medical advice) suggestions??? Might try a Betadine shampoo of horse (just be sure it's warm enough!!; or, if you have a heated barn to bathe horse in and thoroughly dry horse off afterwards!) or some other mild treatment (such as 1% iodine wash of the spot). NOTE: IF you shampooed horse, remember that it would remove protective oils from its coat which help horse to shed water and stay warmer).

Might also just brush the spot, treat it topically with something. Or...just "Wait and See" and let nature treat it (assuming it doesn't get any worse in meantime).

Or, could have your Vet check him out!

Strange as it may seem, Absorbine Jr has antifungal properties. I've used it (carefully) on ringworm with great success. Might be worth a shot on your horse...but the golden rule up here is that if in doubt, give your local vet a call.

Take care.

Funny how things go sometimes, here in my part of the NW, where rain rot is common, we have had a pretty dry Nov. Ski Slopes are complaining about not being open for Thanksgiving weekend.

Bill is right on, rain rot is a fungus, I use 1% iodine in a spray bottle, knocks it out with a few treatments.

Alan

I will squirt him with the iodine since I have it handy. I thank you and Cruiser's behind thanks you!
PANA1678.JPG

He's a Tennessee Walker by Wisdom (the Wise Man--Pride's Genius) out of our Paint the Town mare. Sire is 16.1 and dam is 14.3. He was just over 2 months in the picture. You nailed it--he's gonna be a nice big guy!

I used full strengh listerine (kills germs). Put it in a spray bottle and dampen the area. If you have removed some of the crusts to expose the raw skin, then it will be a little ouchie. I always had good luck with it.

The man I'm working for just brought another horse up to the ranch. It appears this horse may have rain rot, or some other type fungus. She is a gray Arabian mare, and she has small scab like bumps along her back.

Since she has been here, we have had hardly any rain and some sun. So far she doesn't seem to be clearing up with the dryer, sunnier weather.

Since benign neglect isn't working, I am going to try spraying her down with some 1% iodine, but I was wondering if rain rot is contagious to other horses (animals) pastured in the same area?

Fellers, do you work cattle with the TWH's or just breed and sell? Seems like we don't hear too much about old faithful AQH; and this is a cattle board!

:lol: Not to take a thing away from the good ol AQH--but we don't have the need for them.Tennessee Walkers are a pleasure to ride--easy on the body and have been able to do what little cow/bull work we have for them. Keep in mind we're in Oklahoma-plains and a bit of woods so round up is really just a matter of appealing to everyone's appetite! They make a good friend and babysitter, can be used in checking fencelines, getting cows up (really just for practice on that one!), and bringing bulls home from the neighbor's place. We had one get out a few years back and into some open cows--he DID NOT WANT to come home yet. One guy horseback, and a blue heeler later--that bull marched right down the county road, across a bridge, through the front gate, and into his pen. Some have more working sense and ability than others for sure! To answer your question--they are capable in my situation to do what I need done but we mostly just raise, train and sell them geared towards trailriding and versatility minded folks.

TXBobcat":4q1d5oem said:
I was wondering if rain rot is contagious to other horses (animals) pastured in the same area?

If you curry the horse or brush it down-don't share brushes with the other horses. It sounds just like rain rot. How big are the scabs?

I've had good success using Bigeloil. Rough up the area a little with a small brush and dab with Bigeloil. Seems to clear up quickly.

D.R. I''ll let you know how they do on cows in a couple of weeks. 'sposed to go work some on about 5200 acres and I'l seel how mine does.

Chris

In my experience, it is best not to pick at them unless you want the hair to come out. Small places (pencil eraser or less) clear up better. The scabs will work their way off and leave the hair intact if not picked at. The job is getting the med soaked in low--I think an eyedropper would do a good job and keep you from getting messy.

fellersbarnoneranch":3vbl349d said:
In my experience, it is best not to pick at them unless you want the hair to come out. Small places (pencil eraser or less) clear up better. The scabs will work their way off and leave the hair intact if not picked at. The job is getting the med soaked in low--I think an eyedropper would do a good job and keep you from getting messy.

My mom told me only pick scabs if you want a scar and it to tale longer to heal.

Scotty

Scotty":7qx8rg4w said:
My mom told me only pick scabs if you want a scar and it to tale longer to heal.

Scotty

I don't know about on horses, but the best way to keep it from scarring on humans it to not let the wound scab over. It best to keep in moist with a Neosporin type product until it heals.

Chris

If it is warm enough I give them an Iodione bath. Worked great with one of my weanlings.

However this year my weanling had it pretty bad all around her back. No products worked thru her thick hair. Of course I know big horses don't have the thick hair like miniature horses do. So I had to clip her back to be able to let the skin breathe.

One product that worked wonders and its in a spray is called Muck-Itch Skin Saver and you can find it at
http://www.ultimate-equine-tack.com/Muc ... p-513.html

Well, I ran across this and felt obligated to post it and obligated to either pick on my foals--or give them a chance to dry out in the rainy season!

Rain rot, also known as rain scald (on the lower limbs, it may be referred to as dew poisoning), is caused by a bacteria that has fungal characteristics. This bacteria lives in soil and is commonly observed during prolonged wetness. Infected animals are often considered a source of infections for spread of this contagious disease.

Poor stable hygiene and skin irritation from insect bites often are contributing factors. Infected horses generally will have a series of small bumps along their backs. These lesions will progress to circular scabs. Removal of the matted tufts of hair is painful and can result in raw, bleeding areas. Veterinarians often refer to the small tufts as "paintbrush lesions." Lesions are commonly observed on the back, rump, neck and legs.
Affected animals should be kept dry and protected from biting insects.

The scabs should be removed while bathing the horse daily for seven days with either iodine shampoo, chlorohexidine shampoo or benzoyl peroxide. Severe cases may require treatment with antibiotics for a week or two. Warm sun and dry weather are nature's best cure for rain rot. Skin problems should be addressed early in the disease before the itching, hair loss and subsequent inflammation become severe enough to result in oozing, crusting and scaling of the skin.

Diagnosis of any skin disease generally requires more investigation than just a simple glance.

Mark Crisman, D.V.M.
Virginia Tech

Latest posts