Ragweed in Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
The hay harvest has been very poor here and I think the outlook for at least the summer is dismal. So now I'm looking at haying areas that have been abandond for a couple of years. One area I'm looking at haying has a good base of native grasses, probablly 2 rolls/acre worth. But also has a minimum of 10-15% ragweed in some areas. More in other areas. Other than "less is better" does anyone have any experiances with ragweed in hay?

I get some of it every year in some of the hay i put up from older fields.

I have never noticed it causing a problem with the cows.

They don't like to eat it however so take that into consideration when planning how much useful hay is really in that bale.

dcara":1aisotcm said:
The hay harvest has been very poor here and I think the outlook for at least the summer is dismal. So now I'm looking at haying areas that have been abandond for a couple of years. One area I'm looking at haying has a good base of native grasses, probablly 2 rolls/acre worth. But also has a minimum of 10-15% ragweed in some areas. More in other areas. Other than "less is better" does anyone have any experiances with ragweed in hay?

Bale it. Feed it.

When times are tough beggars cannot be choosers.

They will eat it.

Or sell your cows.

Bez?

We have been fighting the ragweed for a few of years. Each year it is significantly better. If you have time you could spray with 2-4-D and then cut and bale in a couple of weeks, or cut it and bale it. The cows will pick through it. It does have a "smell" to it and if you have allergy's it can be annoying. Good Luck

donnaIL":tkzkp5l4 said:
We have been fighting the ragweed for a few of years. Each year it is significantly better. If you have time you could spray with 2-4-D and then cut and bale in a couple of weeks, or cut it and bale it. The cows will pick through it. It does have a "smell" to it and if you have allergy's it can be annoying. Good Luck
If it is up and flowering already isn't too late to spray with 2-4D? I think he would of had to spray in the spring to eliminate the presence in the hay.

bale it and feed it, the cows will pick through it. it will be easier for them if you unroll the hay, though

It's ok. Won't hurt em. Cows are amazingly picky eaters when it comes to getting what they like out of hay. I baled a patch that was ate up with blackberry vines one time, we unrolled the hay and when we went back the next week, the cattle had picked every last straw and sprig of grass hay out of the vines and just left a loose torn up thatch of dried berry vines on the ground to rot. I've had some spots of ragweed end up cut and in the bale, and the cows just pick around it. Cattle are funny sometimes, too, because they'll eat stuff that you never thought they would eat. I've seen cows pass on good prime hay to eat cruddy old stuff. For instance, I planted soybeans in late 96 after the drought wiped out the cotton, since it was the only thing that would grow in the Treflan. Ended up baling it all for hay, short bean plants with some pigweed, johnsongrass, and morningglory mixed in, sleeved em, fed some, and stored the rest to the second year. Second year they were looking kinda ratty and decided to feed em up rather than burn em. To my surprise, when I'd go to feed out two good bahia bales and one of these ratty old musty dusty weedy soybean bales, the cows would leave the bahia hay and RUN for the soybean/weed bales. Picked the ground clean, too, and left bahia scattered on the ground the next week. I've seen em pass over pristine clean weed free hay for some with a few weeds in it. And stuff cattle simply won't touch when it's green and growing they will relish like caviar when it's baled up in well cured hay! I guess it's like pepper, some people like a lot and some don't want any at all, or like the difference between a raw beef roast and beef jerky. Most of us will eat the heck out of one but not the other! I've also noticed that cows don't really know or care if they're eating say, pure Tifton 85 or weedy common bermuda. They could care less. Cattle don't have to have cadillac hay in every mouthful no more than we have to eat caviar and ice cream at every meal. No, they won't gain 2 lbs/day on cardboard, but then if you don't NEED em to gain 2 lbs a day what's the difference. You can feed cardboard for filler and supplement to supply their needs anyway, especially for dry cows with lower nutritional needs. Wouldn't want to do it with stockers though! Just depends on what you're trying to do. Good luck! JR:)

They will pick threw it and eat the hay. We have sprayed it when its tall and at the bloom stage and the 2-4d will kill it..you have to wait to cut for the two week time period. We also have sprayed after we cut the hay and baled.

I guess it really depends if you want to get rid of the ragweed, or how bad it is. Our farm service said the grass would choke it out, but we've yet to see that happen. Donna

2,4D will not work if you are in drought conditions like me. The ragweed has to be actively growing.
2,4D is actually a growth hormone that makes the weed grow so fast that the plant cells pop and the plant dies.
Just bale what you got and be glad that you got it.
I took a load of cattle to the sale barn today because of the drought. They were busy as everyone else is doing the same thing.

dcara":2vmolnzq said:
One area I'm looking at haying has a good base of native grasses, probablly 2 rolls/acre worth. But also has a minimum of 10-15% ragweed in some areas.

Out here west of Fort Worth they were feeding 6 year old hay in the fall. I'd say you are in excellent shape, if you have something to feed to being with. 10 to 15% "in some areas" would be excellent, to most folks around here, in these desperate times. Count your good fortune and feed it. You are way better off than many others.

we have a field that had a lot of that in it. It was never cut for like3 years and took it on start cutting 2 crops every year no matter how thin it was and 4 years later there is barely no ragweed. It is actually really good grass that we now put into good silage.

Latest posts