rabon blocks

Help Support CattleToday:

Frenchie,
Rabon breaks the fly life cycle. Most Rabon blocks have, salt, minerals, etc.The rabon is ingested and excreted in the manure, then killing fly larvae.That hatch in the manure. They.ve been around a good while. You can get good results if the blocks are put out in early Spring. Waiting til full blown fly season in my opinion is a waste.Rabon is available also in tubs, and in some loose Minerals.

Crowderfarms":3a9u5vas said:
Frenchie,
Rabon breaks the fly life cycle. Most Rabon blocks have, salt, minerals, etc.The rabon is ingested and excreted in the manure, then killing fly larvae.That hatch in the manure. They.ve been around a good while. You can get good results if the blocks are put out in early Spring. Waiting til full blown fly season in my opinion is a waste.Rabon is available also in tubs, and in some loose Minerals.

thanks Crowder...Will have to check that out.

frenchie":21e4pebb said:
Crowderfarms":21e4pebb said:
Frenchie,

We put them out this earlier this year .... down here they are about $12.00 a block and I think recommended at 1 block for 5 head ( maybe wrong but close on that).

Wewild":no793urv said:
frenchie":no793urv said:
Crowderfarms":no793urv said:
Frenchie,

We put them out this earlier this year .... down here they are about $12.00 a block and I think recommended at 1 block for 5 head ( maybe wrong but close on that).

How long do they normally last?

they eat them fast the first time then slow down. i use the rolyx tub with molasses, they seem to last longer than blocks

frenchie":18en9zgm said:
Wewild":18en9zgm said:
frenchie":18en9zgm said:
Crowderfarms":18en9zgm said:
Frenchie,

Don't know .... we never used them .... we had a lot of pinkeye the last two years and had to treat with antibiotic. I decided to be more proactive instead of reactive even though I have a very small portion of the herd but put out enough for all on my nickel..

They hadn't really hurt them after last week ... which would have been one week ... maybe they ain't use too them. I will let you know how it works out.

shorty":2wk9zern said:
I always use loose minerals , during fly season I use minerals with rabon

So do we.The Rabon blocks have more mineral (most brands) than average blocks.But to maximize your Mineral program, loose w/Rabon in my opinion is the way to go.For some reason the mineral content in the blocks is difficient. Especially in Mag, they average about 4%.

frenchie":2hafjocm said:
Wewild":2hafjocm said:
frenchie":2hafjocm said:
Crowderfarms":2hafjocm said:
Frenchie,

a week for me.

Crowderfarms":3kjsgy5k said:
shorty":3kjsgy5k said:

So do we.The Rabon blocks have more mineral (most brands) than average blocks.But to maximize your Mineral program, loose w/Rabon in my opinion is the way to go.For some reason the mineral content in the blocks is difficient. Especially in Mag, they average about 4%.

Mr Crowder & Shorty,

Is Rabon the same as Altosid? Both appear to be brand names, so I wouldn't think so. In our area, the mineral mix available with fly control has this ingredient (Altosid-IGR).

When you have the Rabon blocks out with the loose minerals, does not one get preference from the cows? Which IMO would result in either a lack of minerals or inadequate fly control. Comments? Apparently this is not the case or you wouldn't do it; just a question as to how both would be consumed equally & in the proper quantities/dosages.

Lastly, is there any evidence or concern that the fly control chemical (in either type) could negatively impact breeding/settling rates?

I have been fighting pinkeye on & off for the last few years, dispite using fly tags as they seem to effectively control horn fliess but not the face/stable/house flies that obviously spread pinkeye.

Farminlund":7yhsulcy said:
Crowderfarms":7yhsulcy said:
shorty":7yhsulcy said:

Mr Crowder & Shorty,

Is Rabon the same as Altosid? Both appear to be brand names, so I wouldn't think so. In our area, the mineral mix available with fly control has this ingredient (Altosid-IGR).

When you have the Rabon blocks out with the loose minerals, does not one get preference from the cows? Which IMO would result in either a lack of minerals or inadequate fly control. Comments? Apparently this is not the case or you wouldn't do it; just a question as to how both would be consumed equally & in the proper quantities/dosages.

Lastly, is there any evidence or concern that the fly control chemical (in either type) could negatively impact breeding/settling rates?

I have been fighting pinkeye on & off for the last few years, dispite using fly tags as they seem to effectively control horn fliess but not the face/stable/house flies that obviously spread pinkeye.

There are differences in Altosid and Rabon. Altosid is not a Registered chemical for treatment of Fly Larvaes. Rabon is.I would stick to Rabon simply for the reason it is Registered and has been proven to give SOME results. If you have a neighbor who does not have fly control program in force, you're probably wasting your time and money to an extent, as flies will keep traveling between the two herds. It would be good to both use the same program, would be an asset to both Ranchers.

frenchie":2ura1a8k said:
Wewild":2ura1a8k said:
frenchie":2ura1a8k said:
Crowderfarms":2ura1a8k said:
Frenchie,

After checking today it looks like one pasture set out at a 1 to 7 ratio (only counting cows in that) will last another three weeks. The other pasture at the same ratio is all but gone (2 weeks total ... we messed up and let them run out of salt/mineral before setting this out).

Rabon and altosid are way different! Altosid is an " Insect Growth Regulater" ie. "IGR" Moor Mans feed has pushed it and pushed it. They lost the rights to having it exclusively in the late 1990's, that is when it became known to everyone as altosid. Rabon is an insecticide. IGR prevents them from developing. There is alot of research that shows horn flies stay within the herd so you won't be helping your neighbor as much as ya think. The best program for flies for me is a pour-on now, use a pour-on(saber, ultra boss are a couple) that give you some duration 30-42 days they claim, then mid July use an ivermectin pour on product, this give 3 weeks of fly control killing resistant flies, and worms your cows, pour them again in August and your done! The cost is lower then tags, IGR, or Rabon blocks, I believe the whole program cost me about $1.90/head last year and the ivermectin is cheaper this year than last. Tags add a buck per/head if you put in two, for me that is $1500 I can hire a man for a month for that money!

jerry27150":2gnennri said:
mix some ctc in your minerals in fly season. it will help keep pinkeye in check

And not to mention, Chloratetracycline (CTC) is not real expensive. Jerry, what mixture do you use? I've found some label instructions to be down right confusing.

Anyone tried putting rabon blocks and bloat blocks out in the same pasture, and how is the consumption of the blocks? I have Sweetlix bloat guard blocks out in most of my pastures - lost a cow to bloat last fall and rather not have it happen again. If the cows prefer the rabon and won't touch the bloat blocks...well, I'd rather try another method of fly control than deal with bloat.

As far as fly control goes...anyone tried using these "fly predators"? Little bitty flies that prey on pest flies; don't bother livestock. I've been considering trying them...apparently you can't use pesticides and fly predators together as the predators aren't resistant at all to pesticide.

Latest posts