Salt and mineral blocks

Help Support CattleToday:

I use loose minerals but I have worked for ranchers where blocks had to be packed on horses to back country ridges. Loose minerals just wouldn't be practical in those cases. I don't put minerals near water or high traffic areas but rather well away from those areas to draw the cows into less traveled areas.

Dave":2r49fb4y said:
I use loose minerals but I have worked for ranchers where blocks had to be packed on horses to back country ridges. Loose minerals just wouldn't be practical in those cases. I don't put minerals near water or high traffic areas but rather well away from those areas to draw the cows into less traveled areas.
:nod: :nod:

TexasBred":dpaj571i said:
BRYANT":dpaj571i said:
Lucky_P":dpaj571i said:
All mineral supplementation needs are LOCAL... get and feed a free-choice mineral mix that's been formulated specifically for your area.
Jeanne - Simme Valley":dpaj571i said:
There are a tremendous number of suppliers and the formula would depend on your area and the time of year in some cases.
I have heard this many times on this site , but don't know I have ever seen where anyone has ever told how to find out which mineral is needed. may have and I missed it ????
I have looked on Wind and Rain mineral bags and there was nothing saying anything about the area to use it in. I have a label in front of me now off of Vigortone 3V5 S Cinnagar . says nothing about area or seasons , other than all weather formula. so how do you know. Also seem like it could change from one place to the other I have seen deer dig big holes around where something was leaked at oil sites always thought that was some kind of a mineral they were after ??? if so that place may have something that the one across the road would not. so how do you find out or is it really that important to know or just feed a good mixture and not worry about it ???
Bryant lots of folks will "tell you" that the mineral is made just for your area. Truth is that company (especially if it's a nationwide company) sells the exact same mineral all over the country. Very few companies actually make custom mineral "for the area" because "the area" can have so much variation almost from one side of the road to the other. You normally just have to buy what is available and hope they get what they need.

Second what the Texan said. Basically there are two methods to formulate a mineral. Method one-Cattle requirements minus what the grass has=What they put in the mineral (they will then add extra to be safe). Method two Supply 100% of cattle requirements in the mineral and don't worry about what the grass has.

I have no idea what the phos levels are in your area are, but that's the most important thing to consider (IMHO) when buying mineral. Its the most expensive ingredient/bag so using the right level can save you money (or if you are under feeding it improve conception rates). In my area during the summer we can use as low as a 4% phos (most play it safe and use a 6-8%). Then with distillers in the winter and the cows aren't milking I can use a 0%. Probably saves me $6-10/bag over using the 12-12 year round stuff. Then I just use a organic or hydroxy mineral that supplies 100% of requirements and I don't worry about it as long as intake is about what the bag says. If you really want to dial it in you could take grass samples and send them off to be tested for mineral levels. From there it is a math problem to figure out what you are lacking in the most. But its not that simple, because things in the soil can tie up those minerals and make them unavailable to the cattle.

Someone on this sight put together a document on minerals, its pretty good. It list cow requirements for each mineral you can use it to see if those tags are supplying 100% or a little less.

Once again it's still about intake. No way to accurately measure dry matter intake in a grazing operation. We work within ranges.

we have a family farm not really sure but my parent used diluted salt on our goat, cow, and horse water and also use either salt nimble or block salt to their diet if they feel sick they bought those nimble salt and block salt in the local shop near us and they some what expensive, if you'll try it better to look an option online Himalayan Rock salts are great

I run a white salt block a trace mineral and a selenium block. Do they also lick them down no but for what they cost I feel it's worth it. I only run the selenium because it's low in our soil here

IMO - if you are paying $15-$25 per SE block, a cow would have to eat the whole thing in 1 day in order for her to get the amount of SE needed for 1 days requirement. She "might" get enough in the $73 blocks, but i was unable to pull up the analysis.
If you are truly wanting to give your cattle needed trace minerals, they need a loose mineral put out all year. Most areas have a good mineral designed for the "area".

callmefence said:
ddd75 said:
blocks are a waste of money and on top of that they'll eat into the ground

I don't consider either a waste of money. Loose mineral is definitely superior. And I use it especially when grazing pure annual forage.
However when cattle are on pasture and getting a variety of diet I don't worry much about it. Loose is still out, but what if a feeder is turned over runs out etc. Cattle use the blocks and while inferior in consumption rates.
They guarantee something is there when cows might not be checked but every couple weeks.

I agree with you. I did a lot of researching on this issue a few years ago. I still read new information when I find it. Texas Bred is an excellent source of information. I have talked to nutritionists, We currently keep out both. We are getting the results we were seeking doing this so don't plan to stop. The liquid feed we use also has a mineral package but don't feel it would be adequate by itself. IMO you need to find what works for you. I see a difference in consumption in pastures across the road from each other. We have excellent conception rates and good appearance and health. Many ask what we feed too maintain the hair shine. Again I feel it is beneficial to keep out both.

Latest posts