Rabbit fertilizer?

Help Support CattleToday:

PBangus

Reaction score
Anyone ever hear of rabbit fertilizer? There is a guy selling it here in central Texas. They sell it for $5 a gallon mixed 1 gallon to 5 of water. Apply about 10 gallons an acre of the mix. I see some folks use it on a smaller scale for gardens and small parcels, but has anyone tried this on a hayfield? NPK values are high. Just for fun I bought 10 gallons to try on a couple acres I have behind the shop.

It can be put on the ground as is, water not necessary, and you would need tonnes of it, like any other manure.

TexasBred":6egjy79g said:
Had no idea there were that many rabbits in the entire state of Texas.

Huh? Why wouldn't there be?--I understand, that they breed like......well...............they breed like rabbits.

(I wonder, instead of applying the mixture to the pasture, if I can cut out the middle step and just feed the rabbit poop directly to the cows?) :hide:

My kids rabbit pen the poo falls through onto the yard below and it seems to keep it pretty darn deep green and growing. I never thought of putting in the garden. You gotta have 4 million rabbits to make enough to do a 20 acre field probably and have some effect.

Wasted trip with the sprayer probably. I just can't see you putting much npk down at 2 gallons of rabbit turd mixture to the acre.

You are right B&M. Rabbit manure = 2.4 - 1.4 - 0.6 . That's % NPK or pounds of NPK per hundred pounds of manure for anybody wondering.

I always thought chicken litter had the highest N. Just visited a site that said rabbit did, very intresting. I doubt in the quantities were talking about it would do much.

Ammonium nitrate is 14 times higher. Do you want to buy 1 bag of ammonium nitrate or 14 bags of rabbit manure?

There was a man that lived down the road from me. Stopped one day and he had burlap bags cooking in a wash pot. I asked what is going on the he said making manure tea. He scrapped the manure from a concrete feed lot. Of course I asked how to use it. He concentrated to a point it was as black as stump water and diluted that with 5 gallons to 100 gallons of water and sprayed on the foliage. He did have a very good pasture. Not rabbit manure tea but cow manure tea.

I think the tea would probably work well on potted plants if every time they needed watering you just poured a gallon of manure tea on them. Last year I grew some plants in buckets of straight composted cow manure and still had to put granular fertilizer on them to get them to grow to their potential.

hurleyjd":jlfo12s5 said:
There was a man that lived down the road from me. Stopped one day and he had burlap bags cooking in a wash pot. I asked what is going on the he said making manure tea. He scrapped the manure from a concrete feed lot. Of course I asked how to use it. He concentrated to a point it was as black as stump water and diluted that with 5 gallons to 100 gallons of water and sprayed on the foliage. He did have a very good pasture. Not rabbit manure tea but cow manure tea.

Off topic, but it reminds me of a story.. Back in the mid 60s, when we lived in town, my mother used to make up a big glass jug of Lipton sun tea, by throwing the tea bags in the jug of water, putting the lid on and setting it out on the back of a car in the sun--it would be ready when suppertime rolled around. 2 days in a row, some butthead kids stopped in the road, ran over and stole the jug of tea off the car. Next day, I saw mom mixing cow manure and water together in a big glass jug and set it on trunklid of the car. I thought it funny but my older sister thought it was a terrible thing for a Christian woman to do. I don't know if anyone took the poohtea, but I made sure I took a good whiff of my iced tea at suppertime after that--before I took a sip.

ga.prime":1mh47py8 said:
Ammonium nitrate is 14 times higher. Do you want to buy 1 bag of ammonium nitrate or 14 bags of rabbit manure?

Ingenious scheme if you are selling. I knew a lady who sold cricket shyt. $5/ounce. Specialty product for orchids. She could sell all she could make.

I asked my dad this evening, if he'd ever heard of it. He said plenty of people used to fertilize tobacco plant beds that way. I asked if it did any good, he just said, "Poor people have poor ways."

Latest posts