Quitting Smoking

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryder":10zwu62e said:
Hasbeen":10zwu62e said:
Victoria":10zwu62e said:
if you start again you have to go through those three days of quitting again. That in itself is enough to keep you strong. ;-)

That is exactly what has kept me going. I sure don't want to have to do it again! :D
That makes three of us. I would like to smoke just one once in a while. But I'm afraid that one would reactivate the habit so I guess I will consider myself a recovering smoker for the rest of my days.

Ryder! You float away? I was wondering about you.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I think I may just keep a daily journal here to help others wanting to quit. I would have liked to have had something like that to let me know what I would be going through.

I'm into day five now and for the first time I feel like I'm going to make it. Yesterday, although hard, was the best day yet. I'm still not noticing any physical changes except that I'm eating like a pig and my belt's getting tighter. The cravings are farther apart and not as strong now and I find myself actually forgetting about smokes sometimes. Probably the most difficult thing now is relaxing. I can't just sit down on a stump and watch the cows without a cigarette.

Oh yeah. For those of you who are non-smokers and complain about second hand smoke, you need to stop it. Second hand smoke is great stuff! Right now I truly enjoy walking thru it! ;-)

One is too many and a thousand is not enough!

Ryder":2qoe6t6y said:
Hasbeen":2qoe6t6y said:
Victoria":2qoe6t6y said:
if you start again you have to go through those three days of quitting again. That in itself is enough to keep you strong. ;-)

That is exactly what has kept me going. I sure don't want to have to do it again! :D
That makes three of us. I would like to smoke just one once in a while. But I'm afraid that one would reactivate the habit so I guess I will consider myself a recovering smoker for the rest of my days.

Nobody likes a quitter! :)

I would love to quit but its just too easy for me too light up at work. Coffee, beer and after eating makes it the hardest. I dipped Copenhagen for 12 years and loved it, found some white spots in my mouth that scared me, threw every can away and have never taken another dip. But sometimes when I go to the store and see that Copenhagen can it looks like candy, just the feel of the can, the snap of packing it, I don't know what it is. These cigerettes, I need to quit but I know you really have to want too.

Hasbeen":304cpxqd said:
Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I think I may just keep a daily journal here to help others wanting to quit. I would have liked to have had something like that to let me know what I would be going through.

I'm into day five now and for the first time I feel like I'm going to make it. Yesterday, although hard, was the best day yet. I'm still not noticing any physical changes except that I'm eating like a pig and my belt's getting tighter. The cravings are farther apart and not as strong now and I find myself actually forgetting about smokes sometimes. Probably the most difficult thing now is relaxing. I can't just sit down on a stump and watch the cows without a cigarette.

Oh yeah. For those of you who are non-smokers and complain about second hand smoke, you need to stop it. Second hand smoke is great stuff! Right now I truly enjoy walking thru it! ;-)

Ha! I do that too, even now. I did smoke one on vacation and it made me ill. I was happy to be at that point where I wondered why I ever started to begin with.

Lammie":gs6cckq8 said:
Ryder":gs6cckq8 said:
Hasbeen":gs6cckq8 said:
Victoria":gs6cckq8 said:

Ryder! You float away? I was wondering about you.
Got some rain but not really that much. We are pretty far to the east of the major storm.

Thankfully this was just a little one. Cat. 1 at landfall. Sure came up fast.
Folks that lose power and sit around in the dark start smoking out of boredom. (I put this part in so we wouldn't be accused of high jacking the thread. ;-) )

OK, I just finished day 7. Still no fun, but it doesn't seem as hard as it was. I spent a long day at the salesbarn yesterday selling this years calves and really wished for a smoke to pass the time, but I made it though. I really starting to think I can do it.

Hasbeen":3eimsyum said:
OK, I just finished day 7. Still no fun, but it doesn't seem as hard as it was. I spent a long day at the salesbarn yesterday selling this years calves and really wished for a smoke to pass the time, but I made it though. I really starting to think I can do it.

You've made it through 7 days, no reason to stop now! Hang in there, you can do it! :D

Hasbeen":2zmuwhwg said:

You can do it. It is tough but it is worth it. You should start feeling better soon enough. :)

Really, it will get better. Every day you go without is a day closer to losing the habit. Way to go! :D :clap:

Day ten. For those considering quitting and wondering what it would be like, it is a little easier each day. Not easy, easier. I've noticed my cravings have become confusing. I don't crave a cigarette as much as just have a general craving but don't really know what for. Nothing really satifies it. I guess this is where the weight gain comes from.

MistyMorning":1ai8w2uf said:
Are you hanging in there? Hope you are. :)

Yes, passed the two week mark at midnight last night. Still not easy, but better. I'm gonna need diet tips when this is over. ;-)

My wife is a HEAVY smoker. Several packs a day.

she is trying to quit.

doctor gave her a prescription $168.18 that is supposed to take twelve weeks and get her off of em.

It seems to be working. she has cut way back. I know there was no way she could go cold turkey like I did.

She has tried the patch before going this route.

As added incentive I told her that at the end of twelve weeks if i caught her with a cigarette in her hand she was going to get a boot in the ass to go along with it.

I fuss at her when I see her smoking and praise her when she is not.

I never really thought I would ever see her quit as she only smoked during her waking hours.

My husband smoked for 30 years and he quit when I did. He was a heavy smoker, too. At least two packs a day. I started when I was in my mid thirties, out of boredom and out of hanging out with friends that smoked. I was about a half pack to a pack a day, depending on how stressed I was. I smoked more then I was angry. That is about the only time I do miss it. When I really good and pist, a cig just makes it better...

But I remind myself that I am no longer a smoker.

Congrats and keep it up! :D

I quit on October 30, 2005. There are times when I'd still chew your arm off to smoke one, but not nearly as often.

3 days after you quit, you're not addicted to the nicotine. The habit lasts for months.

Do I feel better? Don't have the cough, but sure miss the smoking. Quit smoking and added 30 pounds. :)

pdfangus":rv49jn2q said:
My wife is a HEAVY smoker. Several packs a day.

she is trying to quit.

doctor gave her a prescription $168.18 that is supposed to take twelve weeks and get her off of em.

It seems to be working. she has cut way back.

This sounds like what I used. Chantix? How is she doing now?

It's day 80 now and I've still not smoked. I must say the extra 25 lbs. I've put on have negated the good I've gotten from not smoking. As for the drug Chantix, I didn't like the side affects and quit using it four weeks early. I'm not yet ready to recommend it.

Hasbeen":8f0kqrql said:
It's day 80 now and I've still not smoked. I must say the extra 25 lbs. I've put on have negated the good I've gotten from not smoking. As for the drug Chantix, I didn't like the side affects and quit using it four weeks early. I'm not yet ready to recommend it.

I used Chantrix for a week and lost over 18 pounds.

Latest posts