Question for the combat vets

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":2stethgt said:
Workinonit Farm":2stethgt said:
dun":2stethgt said:
Maybe part of it was the being spit on when I came back that had someting to do with it.

Maybe so. A customer we have, right now, went through that as well when he came back.

Shameful behavior, in my opinion.
That could be a good share of the reason I go out of my way to thank and shake the hands of military folks I run into.

That makes sense to me.

I am often surprised by how surprised some veterans are when I thank them for their service.

Workinonit Farm":i3khotku said:
I am often surprised by how surprised some veterans are when I thank them for their service.
I am embarassed by it but say "thank you" anyway.

dun":aa9qwmnn said:
Workinonit Farm":aa9qwmnn said:
I am embarassed by it but say "thank you" anyway.

There's no need for being embarassed by something you have done that people appreciate you for having done it.

I also want to express my deepest gratitude and appreciation for all you guys that have served. As a son of a WWII vet, I know the problems he suffered though in wartime and when he returned. IN his later life, he share many of those experiences with me, both good and bad. He suffered from mental and physical anguish and took tranquilizers for years when he returned. I didnt know until my mother told me after he was killed in a car accident 9 years ago.
Now my sister is dating a guy who is a Nam vet who had a rough time over there with agent orange and jumpin out of those choppers wasnt so good either.
Then my daughter, is engaged to a 10 yr vet of the Iraq and Afghan campaigns 5 tours. He has PTSD, but my daughter understands what he is going thru . He is a tough dude..was on the rescue squad med evac. He saw what most people should never have to see in their lives. Has medals out the cazzoo.. and awards plaques, but he just says he was doing his duty.

HOSS":1hqwtmq9 said:
Thanks for all of the support. I guess I was just going through one of those reflective spells. I called one of my old Army buddies last night who lives out in KC. I haven't talked to him in several years. We chatted for a couple of hours. It was fun to talk about some of the times we had together. He is experiencing the same thing that I am and talking about those events helped us both. I feel much better today. He is coming over this way next month so we are trying to get together with another buddy from NC and have a small reunion of sorts. It is interesting that all three of us were wounded in combat at the same time or within a few minutes apart. Fortunately nothing life threatening for either of us but Guy was shot in the butt cheek so he will take the brunt of the jokes I am sure :lol2:
You might look on-line regarding a unit reunion--lots of units have one. Mine has one every other year, but they are always out in Vegas, and I really don't want to travel that far anymore.
(not many of us left anyway)

Hoss I have found the memories come and go. And after you get older you become immune to a lot of it.
Like Dunn I could hardly get over the fact that people in my own country greeted me on return of my second tour with spitting on me, calling me a baby killer and even some fighting that wound up with six of us spending their first night stateside in jail.As Airborne Rangers we done what we were programed to do.
In trying to forget I took the cowards way out by drowning myself in whiskey. Don't think I breathed a sober breath for six months.
Tried to forget it all but the whisky didn't do it. Finally figured there is no forgetting. Had to learn to live with the memories.
And once I discovered this it gradually became easier. Yes I still think back a lot of my veit nam time but it don't have near the impact as it use too. After all it has been 46 years ago. The two bullet scars didn't come close to having the affect the mental scars did.

Welcome back home brother and hang in there it will get better. Thank you for serving, Sir!

Latest posts