Question for a Hat know it all

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
I have worn cowboy hats for at least 50 years , but I have owned very few felt hats because I wear them for years, I now have 3 hats from 10 to 30 years old, I am now in the market for a new hat and they say ( felt hat and fur felt ) so my question is what is the difference between felt and fur felt? :?:

depends on the quality of the felt, whether it is made from a quality fur (like beaver) or another critter like wool from sheep (lower priced hats). Other types of fur or hair are used too.

Felting is the process of causing the fiber to seize onto it's neighbor making a solid mass. If you have ever washed a wool sweater in the washing machine , you will understand what I am talking about.

the "x" s are the quality of the felt. The higher the "x" the better the quality. It has to do with the content of the fur. The more "x"s the more wild fur in it. It could be wild rabbit or beaver blended with a wool blend. You can feel the difference in the quality of felt and on some hats you can see the difference. The high fur content hats will feel soft or silky and look smoother than a mostly wool hat.

The quality as determined by the "x", can be misleading from company to company. It used to be that a 6 x resistol was a pretty decent hat. Thats not really the case any more. Some companies tout having a 10 x hat. In the end it is not as nice as resistol's 6 x. You will just have to feel of them. You will know a cheapo from a good one. Personally, I think the money spent on a high quality hat is returned by being able to wear it longer.

The Xs determines how much it's going to cost, especially when you get into the better known brands like Resistol, Stetson, and Serratelli. Higher X #s used to indicate how much beaver was in high quality hats. With some companies, it still does.
"Xs don't mean what they once did"-------------I agree on this, considering that in recent years, I've seen some advertised 100X.
A 20X Seratelli can run over $300 easy, but a good Stetson, might have a lower X # and be just as good.
The more beaver content in the felt, the better it repels water.

Ive had 2 custom made last was a few years ago by Oklahoma hatters, at that time there 20x was 75% beaver, they did a great job and the hat still looks great, i paid around $350 i think, also for what its worth it is my town hat still, the other is my work hat and when i say that I wear it in cold weather daily use it for everything and all weather conditions, also swatted more than a few cows when sorting. My favorite is still my resistol black gold I got it 15yrs ago and the reason i love it so much is that ive worn it for so long its like an old pair of jeans or a good pair of boots ive had it so long it fits every knot on my head. Plus with a good quality hat you can have it shaved and redone and they will be as good as new for around $50-100 bucks.

I have a vintage M L Leddy I bought in '79 (or so). Wore it to a wedding this year. Won't wear it to the pasture. Won't part with it either. They don't make 'em like they used to.

Straw after Easter and I don't spend a lot for those; too many have gone through the disc or brush hog !! :) A couple have been cow stomped but those come back to life with character.

As someone who wears a felt hat every day, and have quite a few of em, and also do lots of research on hat companies before buying, including talking to the company I'll weigh in. DONT buy a Stetson, Resistol, Mayhan, or Justin hat. No quality all money. American Hat Company makes a decent hat but it's uncomfortable as the band sucks.

There are 2 choices if you want a hat to last in rain, sleet, snow, being run over, stomped on, and used as a horse waterer, yet not break the bank.

Atwood minimum 10X
Seritelli minimum 10X

You can get better hats by going custom but be prepared to spend $1000 or more.

Isomade":37zppr4a said:
As someone who wears a felt hat every day, and have quite a few of em, and also do lots of research on hat companies before buying, including talking to the company I'll weigh in. DONT buy a Stetson, Resistol, Mayhan, or Justin hat. No quality all money. American Hat Company makes a decent hat but it's uncomfortable as the band sucks.

There are 2 choices if you want a hat to last in rain, sleet, snow, being run over, stomped on, and used as a horse waterer, yet not break the bank.

Atwood minimum 10X
Seritelli minimum 10X

You can get better hats by going custom but be prepared to spend $1000 or more.

I am still wearing American hats that are 40 years old and they have held up through everything under the sun.
Kids gave me a new one couple years ago for church and funerals.
Made in Bowie Texas good hats.

backhoeboogie":3riqudla said:
I have a vintage M L Leddy I bought in '79 (or so). Wore it to a wedding this year. Won't wear it to the pasture. Won't part with it either. They don't make 'em like they used to.

Straw after Easter and I don't spend a lot for those; too many have gone through the disc or brush hog !! :) A couple have been cow stomped but those come back to life with character.

My wife worked for ML Leddy's in San Angelo back in the late 90s. They wanted to train her into a bootmaker, but she wanted to work the retail front. I would have loved to be able to had that trainee job!!
She waited on Barry Corbin (from TV's Northern Exposure and the original Lonesome Dove) and (then) Governor George W Bush while she worked there.

http://www.beavercowboyhats.com/custom-hats.htm

Dewayne doesn't have the slickest website, but he builds a great hat for the money. his X on his hat stands for 1 percent, so a 20X is 20 percent beaver, and 100X would be a hundred percent beaver. A 10X is $225, 100X is $600. you might be able to find a "10x" cheaper, but you won't find another hat with the same quality of fur for the same money. The picture I posted of my family in another thread I am wearing the 100X that he made.

I will getting a Catalena Hat Sunday at the State Farm Bureau Convention , i have never seen their hats , I was asked to send in my size and style and it was to be creased as I wanted when I pick it up at the Convention. The reason for my original question was I was wondering what quality of hat I would be getting.

After the day I had, this discussion made me feel good again. Is this a great country or what??

heath":817hp3q3 said:
http://www.beavercowboyhats.com/custom-hats.htm

Dewayne doesn't have the slickest website, but he builds a great hat for the money. his X on his hat stands for 1 percent, so a 20X is 20 percent beaver, and 100X would be a hundred percent beaver. A 10X is $225, 100X is $600. you might be able to find a "10x" cheaper, but you won't find another hat with the same quality of fur for the same money. The picture I posted of my family in another thread I am wearing the 100X that he made.

I ordered a 20x from your guy today. Nice fella.

Latest posts