Question: Arrowleaf (ball) Clover

Help Support CattleToday:

Tx-beefmaster-showman

Reaction score
I have come across a free field to bale, it is full of Arrowleaf Clover. I understand that this puts more nitrogen in the soil, but i was wondering if anyone ever bales it. I was going to bale it just to fill in washes and spread around. But if this grass has any nutritional value i might just feed it to the cows.

Thanks I would appreciate all of the feedback.

Tx-beefmaster-showman":2l6ve2ov said:
I have come across a free field to bale, it is full of Arrowleaf Clover. I understand that this puts more nitrogen in the soil, but i was wondering if anyone ever bales it. I was going to bale it just to fill in washes and spread around. But if this grass has any nutritional value i might just feed it to the cows.

Thanks I would appreciate all of the feedback.

Bale it. It might make good feed and feeding it in your pasture will bring the seed home.

"Yucchi" arrowleaf clover used to be real popular here but the seed is expensive and hard to get now.

I've baled a bunch of it.

Tx-beefmaster-showman":8apskrcp said:
Do you happen to know anything about the nutritional properties in it?

Thanks

Clovers are high in protein and calcium.

Probably about like alfalfa. If it has some grass mixed with it..it's even better. Sometimes clover alone can be too rich to feed alone.

Feed it to the cows, most definitely. Find a field of Mare's Tail, Ragweed or sage grass to fill in washes. Clover hay ranks up there with Alfalfa hay if you cure it right. After it cures, be sure to rake it early in the morning while the dew is still on the ground, then bale it before the heat of the day hits and totally dries the hay out.
The dew on the clover will make it pliable enough to be worked and not break the leaves off of the stems. Then bale it before it dries out completely so that it still holds together when baled.
Chuckie

Good arrowleaf should be 18-20% but all of my has all ready bloomed therefore protein probably has dropped way off.
You will need either a crimper or hope for 3 or 4 days of 90 degree weather to get it dry

TBS, you are lucky to get your hands on an arrowleaf clover field. When someone comes wanting us to cut and bale it to get it out of their way, 99% is a mixture of rag weed, thistle, mares tail, blackberrie bushes and sage grass.
Chuckie

Latest posts