Question about CAB

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Does anyone out there know the protocol to have Red Angus, or Red Angus cross calves qualify for CAB?

I am glad the Red Angus folks are finally able to share the wealth and notoriety.

From what I understand, the calves only have to be process verified to USDA standards and require a tag from the Red Angus Association.

I also understand that CAB will be letting the "Angus Plus" (angus X brahma) cattle in shortly with the same protocol standards.

This post sparked my curiosity and the USDA website is somewhat ambiguous.

Chuckie wrote:
in order to qualify for the CAB program, the cattle need only to be >50% black-hided, grade in the upper 1/3 of the choice grade. i've seen holsteins qualify for the CAB program Shocked but there you have it Rolling Eyes

It is the upper 2/3 of choice not just 1/3. And the upper 2/3 of the lower 1/3 qualify for angus pride. And none of them have to be black hided if they have the red angus tags.

MikeC":1mqs192m said:
Does anyone out there know the protocol to have Red Angus, or Red Angus cross calves qualify for CAB?

I am glad the Red Angus folks are finally able to share the wealth and notoriety.
I don't know the details, but will do some checking on Monday and see what I can find out.

I for one am sure glad that the AAA is letting the Red Angus in. If an Angus Plus plus can make the quality grade I think they should qualify too.

I don't think there's been any change. From the USDA website:

"2.1 Genotype. Cattle eligible for Angus influence beef programs based on genotype must have positive identification (ear tags, tattoos, brands, etc.) and be traceable back to provable (e.g.; registration papers) Angus parentage. Qualifying cattle must be traceable to one registered parent or two registered grandparents. Programs which claim a specified percentage of Angus heritage must use this method." (my bold)

If one parent is a registered Angus carrying a red gene and bred to a Red Angus, the calves could still qualify even though they're not black. They can already qualify if they're black. Angus Plus can already be CAB if they meet the specs. The name "Angus Pride" belongs to EXCEL. It looks like it uses the same criteria for branding as CAB, except for quality grade. It only requires Choice.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/certprog/Sc ... ed-GLA.htm

Frankie":2s2shj1z said:

"2.1 Genotype. Cattle eligible for Angus influence beef programs based on genotype must have positive identification (ear tags, tattoos, brands, etc.) and be traceable back to provable (e.g.; registration papers) Angus parentage. Qualifying cattle must be traceable to one registered parent or two registered grandparents. Programs which claim a specified percentage of Angus heritage must use this method." (my bold)

If one parent is a registered Angus carrying a red gene and bred to a Red Angus, the calves could still qualify even though they're not black. They can already qualify if they're black. Angus Plus can already be CAB if they meet the specs. The name "Angus Pride" belongs to EXCEL. It looks like it uses the same criteria for branding as CAB, except for quality grade. It only requires Choice.

I was given the impression that an eartag from the Red Angus Assoc. is all that is needed to qualify. With or without a Black Angus parent.

Whats with the horns? Horns do not disqualify the animals for CAB?

MikeC":kb03ozok said:
Frankie":kb03ozok said:

I was given the impression that an eartag from the Red Angus Assoc. is all that is needed to qualify. With or without a Black Angus parent.

Whats with the horns? Horns do not disqualify the animals for CAB?

You may be right, but I see no difference in the USDA qualification requirements. Since you only quoted part of the post, it's hard to really know what was said. CHB has the same procedures. They can qualify either by having a registered parent or by looks. I can't come up with any reason the AAA would suddenly decide to use Red Angus in the program. The program was started to increase the demand for Angus bulls. AAA membership has not been supportive of maintaining a registry for crossbred animals or Red Angus owned by AAA members. Maybe LA will come up with more info next week.

You can read the requirements on the website I posted. Horns don't disqualify an animal.

MikeC":2l2r7jzh said:
la4angus":2l2r7jzh said:
I don't know the details, but will do some checking on Monday and see what I can find out.
I spoke with someone in the CAB office and my understanding is that as of now nothing has changed as to letting Red Angus and Angus Plus share ther CAB wealth. There will be discussions in the next couple of board meetings and there could certainly be some changes made then, but as of now everything stands the same.
la4angus":2l2r7jzh said:
I for one am sure glad that the AAA is letting the Red Angus in. If an Angus Plus plus can make the quality grade I think they should qualify too.
The above is a quote from my statement made Sat. PM and I stand by it. If any Angus breeders out there have feelings one way or the other you should contact any of the AAA directors and express your feelings to them as this subject will be brought up in the next several AAA Board of Directors meetings.

I spoke with someone in the CAB office and my understanding is that as of now nothing has changed as to letting Red Angus and Angus Plus share ther CAB wealth.

So are you saying that Red Angus influence cattle are not accepted in CAB even though they do not meet the "black-hide" requirements, but DO meet the GLA (USDA) requirements?

The Angus Plus WOULD meet the "black-hide" criteria and would NOT be accepted?

MikeC":1m91wifi said:
I spoke with someone in the CAB office and my understanding is that as of now nothing has changed as to letting Red Angus and Angus Plus share ther CAB wealth.

So are you saying that Red Angus influence cattle are not accepted in CAB even though they do not meet the "black-hide" requirements, but DO meet the GLA (USDA) requirements?

:roll: He said
nothing has changed...
Here's a link to the USDA site showing CAB qualifications.

http://www.ams.usda.gov/lsg/certprog/beef/cab.htm

Frankie":17c7zh02 said:
MikeC":17c7zh02 said:

nothing has changed...

Is that a yes or no?

MikeC":gi9cbmkw said:
Frankie":gi9cbmkw said:
MikeC":gi9cbmkw said:

nothing has changed...

Is that a yes or no?

You can read the specs as well as I can.

alabama":89fo7ok9 said:
To be "CAB" the animal has to be black hided.

And what determines "black-hided"?

Does the "Hair" have to be black? Or just the hide?

White Park cattle have "Black-Hides" but have white hair. Do they qualify?

I have been told by a Red Angus breeder that he can get tags from the Red Angus Association that will qualify his Red Angus crossbreds for CAB. I believe him.

Why all the secrecy?

alabama":kv87bjec said:

No, he can be sired by a registered Angus bull and still qualify. Some Angus bulls carry a red gene and will produce some red calves when bred to red cows.

From the CAB specs page:

""2.1 Genotype. Cattle eligible for Angus influence beef programs based on genotype must have positive identification (ear tags, tattoos, brands, etc.) and be traceable back to provable (e.g.; registration papers) Angus parentage. Qualifying cattle must be traceable to one registered parent or two registered grandparents. Programs which claim a specified percentage of Angus heritage must use this method." (my bold)

MikeC":3ltes4i2 said:
alabama":3ltes4i2 said:

And what determines "black-hided"?

Does the "Hair" have to be black? Or just the hide?

White Park cattle have "Black-Hides" but have white hair. Do they qualify?

I have been told by a Red Angus breeder that he can get tags from the Red Angus Association that will qualify his Red Angus crossbreds for CAB. I believe him.

Why all the secrecy?

So you think LA is lying?

MikeC":28u04pm8 said:

Can I take that as, "I don't know"?

Or should I take it as, "I won't answer"?

You can take that as "I won't bother to spoon feed information to a regular Angus basher." That's you, by the way.

Frankie":s6am69fo said:
MikeC":s6am69fo said:

Can I take that as, "I don't know"?

Or should I take it as, "I won't answer"?

You can take that as "I won't bother to spoon feed information to a regular Angus basher." That's you, by the way.

And I will receive it as "One who continues to bash every other breed will keep their mouth shut when it comes to MY breed".

By the way, I have some angus cows. I like them fine.

What you trying to hide Frankie?

MikeC":2970zzum said:

Why all the secrecy?

The red angus tags are for an angus certified program. http://www.redangus.org has all the information on the yellow ear tags.

I think it actually works for Angus America now too, but I know they have been talking with CAB

Word on the street is that there is an effort underway by some black breeders to open the AAA registry to include 1A RA cattle.

Latest posts