Qestion for Texan's

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy+

Reaction score
I saw a Jeep today down here with Texas plates. The plate said FARM TRUCK. It was obvious to me that that is Jeep was not used on a farm. Well maybe it belongs to someone with a farm but it has not been used as a farm truck. Too nice.

I guess my question is what's up with the farm truck designation?

Cheaper registration, but your not supposed to use the vehicle for other uses then farm related. I have farm tags on my F350, but I drive another vehicle back and forth to work and such. You can get a pretty hefty fine for unauthorized usage - it's not something that is highly policed though, most people pay no mind to the laws regarding farm tags.

Farm related activities, church, store, school or dropping off kids at school. You can lie and always say you are doing farm stuff in Fla. even if your not. Who is going to prove you wrong. One more way to use(abuse) the system.

Scotty

flaboy+":2h0jkrwr said:
I saw a Jeep today down here with Texas plates. The plate said FARM TRUCK. It was obvious to me that that is Jeep was not used on a farm. Well maybe it belongs to someone with a farm but it has not been used as a farm truck. Too nice.

I guess my question is what's up with the farm truck designation?
You see it alot around here too you also can get a right off on milage on the vehicle but you might not need it registerd as a farm truck to do that cant remember .i would think about 75 percent is image.

It used to be that way here in OK, too. Lots of kids with fancy trucks driving around in town with Farm Tags. But now you have to have an Ag Exemption before you can get a farm tag. It does make a big difference in the cost of the tag.

I didn't think you could get more than 100 miles from the farm with farm tags? :shock:

Muratic":39jd4u0q said:
I didn't think you could get more than 100 miles from the farm with farm tags? :shock:

Can use the truck for anything in Texas other than gainful empolyment and pleasure such as pulling a boat etc.

I got pulled over in Dallas driving my truck and the cop said I was darn lucky I was pulling a disk otherwise I'd have to be explaining what I was doing that was farm realted. Got a ticket for not having a CDL anyway, too heavy of a load.

I don't live in Texas but am about 15 miles from Houston (Missouri that is plus we are in Texas county!) and we have similar tags here that are only about $10 or so cheaper than a "normal" one but if ya' get the tag your not supposed to be more than 50 miles from your home.

We do have what I think is a strange rule here and that is if you sometimes trailer a heavy load you need a special tag that has "24L Truck" written on the bottom of it and they only give you one and it's for the front of your truck, I assume it means 24K pounds? It actually costs me more to just have the one and it's on a 3/4 ton truck. All our other vehicles have to be tagged front and back.

I don't get out of state very often but whenever I do I'm always just waiting to get pulled over for not having a tag on the rear of my vehicle. Least the registration says,"Only one tag issued" so I hope whoever pulls me over understands.

Sidney, sure hope I'm not supposed to have a CDL. Were you pulling in a pick-up with a flat-bed? What was your load weight? I've heard those Texas DOT (?) guys can really make you have a bad day if they feel like it.

J

Yeah, I've got a 1 ton and was hauling a 36ft dovetail w/ a disk on it. He said for the weight I needed to have a class A CDL and I got a $300+ ticket. Then I had to drive all the way back here worrying the whole way about getting pulled over. I took every back road I knew of after that. I looked into getting a CDL but I don't know if I could pass the backing up part. I'm fine when I'm by myself but if someone else is in the truck or "directing" me I go all haywire. Funny thing is I've never had a problem pulling a full load of hay on the same trailer, or anything else for that matter. Of course, I've never pulled anythign else in Dallas either :lol: .

In MO. with the 24,000 farm tag, you only get one tag. I run the farm tags on my 3/4 ton chev 4 door 4 wheel drive deisel with a gooseneck ball. I drive to the east coast and back several times but the majority of my truck use is for the farm. I used to get stopped an average of 10 times per year for not having a tag on the back. I would have the papers ready and when the officer would tell me I had no tag, I would act shocked and he would usually let me get out and look and I would walk to the front of the truck and say, "it is right where it is supposed to be" They would always get angry, but they didnt know Missouri law. Finally, I got tired of it and just moved the tag to the back when I was leaving the state.

Sidney411, I think I'd fight that ticket unless they pulled you up on those little scales the DOT guys carry around and actually weighed you or you knew you were over the weight limit. That officer can't really stand up in court and say "exactly" what your weight was.

Stocky, I'd swap mine out too before I left the state but with my luck a MO cop who knew where I was supposed to have the tag would most likely stop me and give me a ticket for having the tag in the wrong place! Guess if I really wanted to not get stopped I could always stop at the state line and change it to the rear of the truck.

J

sidney411":2l1rx724 said:
Yeah, I've got a 1 ton and was hauling a 36ft dovetail w/ a disk on it. He said for the weight I needed to have a class A CDL and I got a $300+ ticket. Then I had to drive all the way back here worrying the whole way about getting pulled over. I took every back road I knew of after that. I looked into getting a CDL but I don't know if I could pass the backing up part. I'm fine when I'm by myself but if someone else is in the truck or "directing" me I go all haywire. Funny thing is I've never had a problem pulling a full load of hay on the same trailer, or anything else for that matter. Of course, I've never pulled anythign else in Dallas either :lol: .

The backing up part aint hard its the parallel parking with the truck and trailer thats tough. i took mine with a 1 ton and 32' dovetail and passed with an A. Only thing I got docked for was turning with one hand and to far away from curb on the parallel part. Everything else is cake.

csutton

Yeah, I am a little worried about the paralell (sp) part too. We've got a 14ft dump trailer that I was thinking about using because it's tall enough on the sides I can see it real good in the mirrors but I've haven't got up enough nerve to go take the test.

When I was a kid in high school in Texas, boys (or girls) could drive without a license as long as they were hauling hay. A lot of kids drove around with a bale of hay in the bed of the truck to qualify. That law still in existence?

Ive never heard of that law about haulin hay, haha lets hope not, cuz if my 14 year old daughter finds out, she'll be gone, with a bale of hay!!!!

Latest posts