putting down sick cow

Help Support CattleToday:

I hope this part of the business never gets to the point that it don't bother me some from the humanistic stand point and as well I just lost money.

Thank you, Wewild. :)

Alice

Wewild":35dffhye said:
I hope this part of the business never gets to the point that it don't bother me some from the humanistic stand point and as well I just lost money.

I agree wholeheartedly!

Wewild":26wl2n8b said:

With all respect - when it is a matter of humane treatment - why should it bother you?

Are we as producers entitled to some humanity where the fellow with the bolt gun at the processing plant just has to do his job?

That is being hypocritical. When I have had to euthanize the only times it "bothered" me was when it may have been my management that put the animal in that situation in the first place.

Otherwise I don't lose a wink of sleep. That is part of the business we are in. Start whining about having to euthanize and it quickly becomes an argument why raise them to only kill them anyways.

ALX

AngusLimoX":2luycugo said:
Wewild":2luycugo said:

With all respect - when it is a matter of humane treatment - why should it bother you?

Are we as producers entitled to some humanity where the fellow with the bolt gun at the processing plant just has to do his job?

That is being hypocritical. When I have had to euthanize the only times it "bothered" me was when it may have been my management that put the animal in that situation in the first place.

Otherwise I don't lose a wink of sleep. That is part of the business we are in. Start whining about having to euthanize and it quickly becomes an argument why raise them to only kill them anyways.

ALX

It seems you may have read more into it than was my intent and judged me harshly.

Most folks that know me don't consider me a whinner or hypocritic.

The management issue would be a good part of the remorse. I should have sold them before they went down from age or gotten them the right stuff faster under different circumstances. I lose money either way.

You are entitled to your opinion and rational when it comes to doing the right thing. Telling me how to feel about it ain't something you should feel compeled to suggest. Suffice to say the job gets done and I sleep well at night.

Wewild":2095v3gi said:
You are entitled to your opinion and rational when it comes to doing the right thing.

Oh, thank you so much, and you are entitled to yours, ( as long as the monitors allow it ).

Telling me how to feel about it ain't something you should feel compeled to suggest.

Well YOU suggested there may be something wrong with me and the bolt gun guy!! Why doesn't the bolt gun guy and folks like me not have humanistic issues with dispatching cattle? PETA folks are pushing this, and so I guess are some cattle folks.

Suffice to say the job gets done and I sleep well at night.

Do you sleep well after being bothered in a humanistic manner? Your statement, not mine. Retract it, back it up, but don't dodge the issue.

AngusLimoX":3w53caft said:
Wewild":3w53caft said:
You are entitled to your opinion and rational when it comes to doing the right thing.

Oh, thank you so much, and you are entitled to yours, ( as long as the monitors allow it ).

Telling me how to feel about it ain't something you should feel compeled to suggest.

Well YOU suggested there may be something wrong with me and the bolt gun guy!! Why doesn't the bolt gun guy and folks like me not have humanistic issues with dispatching cattle? PETA folks are pushing this, and so I guess are some cattle folks.

Suffice to say the job gets done and I sleep well at night.

Do you sleep well after being bothered in a humanistic manner? Your statement, not mine. Retract it, back it up, but don't dodge the issue.

Your welcome. I think the mods do a good job as it is their job to make decisions empowered by the owner (s).

I never said there was anything wrong with the bolt gun. Didn't even suggest it. I think its efficient and does the job.

I sleep well most nights. When I don't it usually has to do with life related to something other than the second dumbest animal on earth.

Thanks for the concern. Life ain't black and white son.

You seem a bit bent out of shape. Take care.

Wewild":3ax67ak9 said:
Your welcome. I think the mods do a good job as it is their job to make decisions empowered by the owner (s).

Best board going-the mods usually do a great job.

I never said there was anything wrong with the bolt gun. Didn't even suggest it. I think its efficient and does the job.

I never mentioned the gun itself, I spoke of it's operator. The one apparently lacking lacking humanistic feelings. Either you misread - or you are squirming.

Well it is for me when it comes to cattle and there is nothing humanistic about harvest or humane destruction.

Tired of PETA/Animal Rights BS, surprised you would be spreading it.

ALX

Thanks Guys & Gails. We have a 9 year old cow that I have become very attached to.Thank goodness she is still healthy and her calves are just as nice as the first ones she had. I haven't had to face the unpredictable yet. I hope I will be able to end their (cattle) suffering when I need to. I just don't know about my favorite, the 9 year old, I told my husband I would like to keep until she died with us. I guess I should have never gotten so attached to her.

AngusLimoX":26xz9616 said:
Wewild":26xz9616 said:

Best board going-the mods usually do a great job.

I never mentioned the gun itself, I spoke of it's operator. The one apparently lacking lacking humanistic feelings. Either you misread - or you are squirming.

Well it is for me when it comes to cattle and there is nothing humanistic about harvest or humane destruction.

Tired of PETA/Animal Rights BS, surprised you would be spreading it.

ALX

I am suprised.

Why would the bolt gun and the user be different?

I think I understand now as I used a term that I used to mean as from the heart. It means something different to you. I never new about this sect until now.

You must have aligned me with

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism

I guess it was my misuse of the word.

I am a Methodist. Sorry for the confusion. Maybe I need to go back and change the term so it won't set off others?

Why is that sect's belief's so hard on you? It must be something you hold close to your heart.

PM me.

Wewild":wqei4nll said:

I guess it was my misuse use of the word.

I am a Methodist. Sorry for the confusion. Maybe I need to go back and change the term so it won't set of others?

Why is that sect's belief's so hard on you? It must be something you hold close to your heart.

PM me.

The bolt gun is a machine that will put a spike into any brain presented to it by the operator.

The bolt gun operator chooses to harvest cattle without having to decide it's "humanistic" consequences or repercussions - he/she knows they are doing a righteous and important job harvesting a crop. One that supplies a lot of our livelihoods.

Forget the sects and religeon BS and no need for PM's.

ALX

AngusLimoX":1yo53qm3 said:
Wewild":1yo53qm3 said:

I guess it was my misuse use of the word.

I am a Methodist. Sorry for the confusion. Maybe I need to go back and change the term so it won't set of others?

PM me.

The bolt gun is a machine that will put a spike into any brain presented to it by the operator.

The bolt gun operator chooses to harvest cattle without having to decide it's "humanistic" consequences or repercussions - he/she knows they are doing a righteous and important job harvesting a crop. One that supplies a lot of our livelihoods.

Forget the sects and religeon BS and no need for PM's.

ALX

Did you even read my last post except for the PM part.

We make a good living raising calves to be killed and eaten. I love it.

Your babbling. Trying to make something of nothing and still it still must be hitting close to home for you.

PM me as we are wasting folks time.

Not so plain

Re:
I just don't know about my favorite, the 9 year old, I told my husband I would like to keep until she died with us.
But when the end is near you may find yourself facing the same decision.

True store.
I culled an old cow and sent her and about 10 others over to the main ranch to be sold off.
The next day the boss returned her to me and said she stays till she dies, as do the other 8 that look like her.

Now this is an old time cattlemen who I saw shoot a cow for charging at him and several cows that were sick without hesitation. So I asked him why she was special.

He said about 15 years ago he almost lost everything and went way out on a limb and bought 10 bred cows to try and get back on his feet and she was one of them. She has given me 15 calves in the last 15 years and she helped bail me out so I owe her, she doesn’t owe me a dime.
I don’t care if she never gives me another calf, she stays until she goes down on her own.
I don’t want anybody walking on her as shoes.

When she goes down, would you mind dispatching her for me, as I don’t think I could do it. Not to her!
And pick the best place in the bone yard for her.

So my point is, if you can’t do it when it’s needed, get someone to do it for you.
SL

mountainranch":vyokzjmq said:
We have a 400 lb. steer that's had pneumonia and then bloated several times. We've given antibiotics, then med. for bloat. He is eating, but is down to skin and bones,and can't get up. I'm considering a 38 between the eyes. I hate to destroy him,but don't want to see him suffer. Anyone else had to do this, or have advice?
Is he eating? I have posted a good article about the problems i had with a calf in the health forum. look it up. Why give up so easy, increase his feeding add some electrolytes, I have a ton of advice if you need it IM me. sometimes a little extra time and patience can work out for the better

mystery74":194e3x3c said:
mountainranch":194e3x3c said:
We have a 400 lb. steer that's had pneumonia and then bloated several times. We've given antibiotics, then med. for bloat. He is eating, but is down to skin and bones,and can't get up. I'm considering a 38 between the eyes. I hate to destroy him,but don't want to see him suffer. Anyone else had to do this, or have advice?
Is he eating? I have posted a good article about the problems i had with a calf in the health forum. look it up. Why give up so easy, increase his feeding add some electrolytes, I have a ton of advice if you need it IM me. sometimes a little extra time and patience can work out for the better

Moot point - animal is dead for a few days now.

Bez>

I dont know, shooting every animal that gets the sniffles sounds a little over the top to me. I know you guys arent suggesting that, but.............

Unless somebody got a PM I dont think anybody here had enough information to make the jump from treatment to a hot lead injection.

While I believe everybody was well intentioned, and in this case the advice turned out to probably have been correct, what I saw was a couple of more experienced cattlemen make a jump based upon personal experiences that may or may not have matched this situation and then a few others jump on the band wagon.

What Im afraid of is someone with much less experience taking this advice much more literaly than it was intended when offered and not make the appropriate effort to treat.

I think it was Bez that said something about the "look". The problem is if you dont know what the look is, then you just dont know what the look is. Nobody can describe it for you with any accuracy anymore than someone could describe what air looks like.

Im not getting on anybody and Im sorry if it appears I am. I just think we should be a little slower to jump to a gunpowder solution.

I cannot claim "the look" comment even though I know what it is.

Credit goes to that old fa rt Caustic.

Bez>

That "look" is easy to see after you've had the experience but my husband refuses to see it and just keeps on pumping money into it until even he can see the "look". Subject of a few arguments around here needless to say. He fiddled around with a calf for six weeks this spring before it sneaked around and died behind his back, thank goodness!

Sir Loin":3lkl8f7b said:
Not so plain

Re:
I just don't know about my favorite, the 9 year old, I told my husband I would like to keep until she died with us.
But when the end is near you may find yourself facing the same decision.

True store.
I culled an old cow and sent her and about 10 others over to the main ranch to be sold off.
The next day the boss returned her to me and said she stays till she dies, as do the other 8 that look like her.

Now this is an old time cattlemen who I saw shoot a cow for charging at him and several cows that were sick without hesitation. So I asked him why she was special.

He said about 15 years ago he almost lost everything and went way out on a limb and bought 10 bred cows to try and get back on his feet and she was one of them. She has given me 15 calves in the last 15 years and she helped bail me out so I owe her, she doesn’t owe me a dime.
I don’t care if she never gives me another calf, she stays until she goes down on her own.
I don’t want anybody walking on her as shoes.

When she goes down, would you mind dispatching her for me, as I don’t think I could do it. Not to her!
And pick the best place in the bone yard for her.

So my point is, if you can’t do it when it’s needed, get someone to do it for you.
SL

Love this story - it reminds me of an older cow we have.

Wewild":398861iq said:

Well calves laying around suffering at the hands of incompetents does bother me, and now, as you can see, the sniffles and hankerchief crowd is coming out of the wood work.

This is where your babbling does damage - there is nothing "humanistic" about euthanizing compromised cattle.The humane part comes before the bullet, and with the proper delivery of the bullet.

Go around preaching that there is something that should bother people about timely euthanasia and you will soon have folks arguing why kill them at all, or let them linger until they die miserably. Like this one did.

ALX

AngusLimoX":zqws9cgw said:
Wewild":zqws9cgw said:

Well calves laying around suffering at the hands of incompetents does bother me, and now, as you can see, the sniffles and hankerchief crowd is coming out of the wood work.

This is where your babbling does damage - there is nothing "humanistic" about euthanizing compromised cattle.The humane part comes before the bullet, and with the proper delivery of the bullet.

Go around preaching that there is something that should bother people about timely euthanasia and you will soon have folks arguing why kill them at all, or let them linger until they die miserably. Like this one did.

ALX

Take care son. You have gotten way out there on this one.

PM me. Maybe we can work it out. I am at a lose for your attack.

Latest posts