Putting 200 pounds on a holstein in 60 days

Help Support CattleToday:

Hereford2

Reaction score
Hi, Im wondering how i can put 200pounds IN 60 DAYS on a 250 pound 3/4 holstien 1/8angus 1/8jersey that is 4monthes old
Its on grass and a gallon can of grain a day currently.

assuming 70 lb birth weight = 180 lbs in 120 days = 1.5 lbs per day to date
200 lbs in 60 days = 3.33 lbs per day
very doubtful he has the ability to do it...implant him, worm him and Feed him like heck for 59 days... then....
drench him with as many gallons of water needed to win your bet....or whatever your reason for such a specific goal

Thank you for the link!! My reason for trying to put that much weight on him that fast, is i would like to sell him the first part of august.

He weighed 50lbs at 2days old. I fed him jersey milk and (replacer when i didnt have enough jersey milk). With free choice calf grower for 110 days.

I think it'll be expensive to try putting that weight on that fast, and I think it's going to be pretty much impossible as well.. I hardly get that kind of gain out of my best beef calves on milk and nice pastures

I have a friend who claims he put on 4 pounds a day on a pen Holstein steers. His steers were a little bigger than what you are talking about. His were 500-600 pounds to start with. They were fed free choice ground bread and pastry waste along with all the rank over ripe canary grass hay they wanted. My guess is all the fiber in that hay slowed the bread down while passing through so the steers could digest the good out of that fiber free pastry waste. These steers were in a dry lot, no pasture. You could do the same thing with grain but I think you would be better off financially to just sell the steer the way it is right now.

I think it would be cheaper to sell him and buy a 450 lb dairyX steer than what you would spend on feed, implant,wormer ,etc.

He/she doesn't want to buy or have a 450 lb dairy X steer.... wants to be rid of this calf by August 10th
Goal is to sell a 450 pounder on August 9th
given its history of gaining 1.52 lbs per day for the last 132 days and its genetics including 1/8 jersey
I believe it will be unattainable but a Ralgrow implant costs $1.38 per dose and will get them closer to the goal.
Implants have the best return on investment that I can think of, they are money makers. It's the 1st thing I would do.

Find a grower protein pellet to mix with whole shelled corn and start increasing the ration to get up to free choice. Limit the grass to 1/2 to 1# per day.

My kids raise bottle calf holsteins for the market calf class at fair. It is possible to get 3.5 pounds of gain a day, but it takes a lot of feed. We also are required to continue feeding milk per fair rules. Our calves are born around Jan 10th and we weigh in may 20th. We usually average a bw around 80lbs. We feed 2 bottles a day and start calves on creep on day 3. We continue this feeding schedule until 8 weeks old. Calves are usually eating about 4 to 5 lbs of creep a day at this point. From 8 weeks on we increase milk to 1.5 bottles twice a day and work up to 16 lbs of dairy ration from the feed mill. It's 13 percent protein. Our max weight is 400 lbs for fair. We are usually pretty close. 398 last year and 387 this year. The weather worked against us. This year adg was 3.03 lbs from March 23 to may 20. In not sure how the Jersey aspect will factor in. Good luck and hope this helps.

From birth to 400 lbs. in 4 months is a bit diff. than from 250 lbs. to 450 lbs. in 2 months especially when you're pouring the high protein/high fat milk replacer to them.

Latest posts