Purina Wind and Rain Mineral?

Help Support CattleToday:

hayray

Reaction score
iAnybody using it and does it actually not cake up? My Kent all weather mineral is caking up badly even in covered feeders.

ive used it for almost a year now,an the rain doesnt make it get rock hard.wevehad about 8in of rain in a month.an it hasnt hurt the mineral at all.i just put out a 50lb sack.an i took my hand an broke up the minerals that was left with ease.

My understanding is that if any water that gets into the feeder has a way to drain out, the mineral will not cake. If it gets a chance to stand in water all bets are off. However, I think they also expect the mineral to be consumed in a timely manner. Which prompts me to ask this question and expand the discussion.

Does anybodies' cattle actually consume the 2 - 4 oz./day the Wind and Rain or the Right Now programs recommend?

1 50# bag = 800 oz. @ 2 oz./day consumption should last 100 cows 4 days. I don't even get close to this. 1 bag will last my 100+ cows 2-3 months. What are your experiences?

I use the Nutrena Right Now mineral & have for the past few years. At different times of the year the cows eat more & less & it also depends on the variety of the mineral as some are more palatable than others. It also seems to depend on what type of a diet they are on. This time of year when the grass is in full bloom I use the Emerald w/ the IGR & it works great. Can't keep it in front of them. I also notice the calves eating it. They eat the most mineral when they are on a grass-only diet. I do have friends that use the Onyx variety year round & they add salt to it to make it more tasty.

So to asnwer your question... yes they definitely do eat the suggested amount for the most of the year. Their consumption goes down in the winter when they are on full feed. I find that it helps to increase intake by proper location of the feeder as well as not letting it get old in the feeder. After it sits there for a long time they don't like the taste. And no, it does not clump & the feeders do get some water in them. Hope this helps.

1982vett":tqb9323d said:
My understanding is that if any water that gets into the feeder has a way to drain out, the mineral will not cake. If it gets a chance to stand in water all bets are off. However, I think they also expect the mineral to be consumed in a timely manner. Which prompts me to ask this question and expand the discussion.

Does anybodies' cattle actually consume the 2 - 4 oz./day the Wind and Rain or the Right Now programs recommend?

1 50# bag = 800 oz. @ 2 oz./day consumption should last 100 cows 4 days. I don't even get close to this. 1 bag will last my 100+ cows 2-3 months. What are your experiences?

I tried it last fall and put 1/2 bag into a feeder where there were 1 bull and about 12 cows. The bull never left the feeder. Saw the cows there one time. It was all gone the next morning and the Bull had waterbelly. took him a couple days to recoop. I thought if they like it that much I would have to be a Billionaire to use it. :cboy:

when i first starting using wind an rain.i fed 3 sacks in 2wks.i was like dang i can afford todo that.so i started buying salt by the sack.an putting them out togather.an now the cows eat more salt than minerals.

Cargill rep told me to pick up the salt to get them to eat the mineral. I stopped putting out range meal in January. Salt blocks are in the same trough as the minerals and neither are being used at the moment. Going to pick up the salt blocks and watch, as the weather warms up I guess they will have to eat the mineral to get some salt. If I don't see the mineral being used I will put the salt blocks and range meal back out and continue as I have in the past.

I always have loose salt in one feeder and mineral in another feeder and I never seem to get any over-consumption of mineral. Aren't most of you feeding salt separatley or not?

hayray":3sw0pdba said:
I always have loose salt in one feeder and mineral in another feeder and I never seem to get any over-consumption of mineral. Aren't most of you feeding salt separatley or not?

I am not because the minerals I use have plenty of salt. Most of the manufacturers claim they use the amount of salt in their product to get the cattle to eat the right amount.

I use the Right Now mineral and have for about 4 years. If you put out salt they wont eat the mineral and your defeating the purpose.
My cows seem to breed back quicker and the calves seem to get up and suck quicker.
And when startem on it you think will they ever stop eating it or if you let them run out,but then they level off, just keep it out.

JMichal":3nqcbhy3 said:
hayray":3nqcbhy3 said:

I am not because the minerals I use have plenty of salt. Most of the manufacturers claim they use the amount of salt in their product to get the cattle to eat the right amount.

I feed salt separately. No need to feed $25 a bag mineral to meet salt needs when you can get salt for less than $5 a bag. Most good minerals will have something like cottonseed meal, DDG, dried molasses etc. in them to encourage consumption. Getting consumption while avoiding overconsumption is a real balancing act to say the least. Really don't care for salt blocks at all because a cow can hardly stand there and lick long enough to get what she really needs.

Latest posts