Purchasing reg. Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

shep

Reaction score
I'm in need of information on how the reg. Angus program works, ie; what are the best bloodline to start off with on the female side. I've backgrounded stockers for quite a few years and always been curious as wheather a person could actually make any money running a registered herd or wheather it is just a tax write off for the rich. Thanks!

Go to angus.org and check out the Breeders Guide. It will tell all the rules and info on membership, registration and that sort of thing. Blood lines are another thing. It won't tell you. Check out the breed averages on the same site and when you look at cattle keep them in mind. Some names off hand would be BR New Design 036. Bon Veiw ND 1407 and 878. I most of my girls go back to Sits Trav. 8180, 6i6, 1i2, DHD Trav., and EXT. My clean up bull is an 036 son X with a GAR Bando 522. Feel free to ask any questions of us on these boards or Email AAA they are first class people willing to help.

Scotty

The American Angus Association is awesome. I've been raising
registered Angus since the beginning of the year. These folks
are great. If you have a question, call them up and they'll
take care of you. It is more complicated raising registered stock, but the information is readily available. In my area,
Gardiner Angus seems to be the king. Best of luck!

shep":1w53fnb1 said:
I'm in need of information on how the reg. Angus program works, ie; what are the best bloodline to start off with on the female side. I've backgrounded stockers for quite a few years and always been curious as wheather a person could actually make any money running a registered herd or wheather it is just a tax write off for the rich. Thanks!

There's no "best bloodline" in the Angus breed. I'd suggest you get out to some registered sales and see what bloodlines sell well in your area.

Are you going into Angus show business or will you raise performance Angus? There's quite a bit of difference in bloodlines you'll want to buy to get started.

Yes, you can make money with a small registered Angus herd. We do. But it's not simple. The first requirement is a strong AI program.

I have some cattle sired by Bon View New Design 878. Great fleshing ability in these cattle. Like none other I have.
bif

Go to the Missouri Angus Futurity this spring, many good breeders (small and large) will be there and the quality of the cattle there is very good from what I have heard. If you dont buy anything there at least you will have prospects on where to buy in the future. I think Missouri would be a great place to raise Reg Angus, seems like a strong state Association (which can help a small timer like me and you) Feel free to pm me for my experiences with some Missouri breeders.

Frankie":8klllcds said:
shep":8klllcds said:

There's no "best bloodline" in the Angus breed. I'd suggest you get out to some registered sales and see what bloodlines sell well in your area.

Are you going into Angus show business or will you raise performance Angus? There's quite a bit of difference in bloodlines you'll want to buy to get started.

Yes, you can make money with a small registered Angus herd. We do. But it's not simple. The first requirement is a strong AI program.

Frankie,

Thanks for the reply.....to answer your question, I'm going in to the performance end of the business. I was thinking of going to the Belle Point Ranch sale this spring to pick up my seed stock.

yes, some registered breeders make money but almost all of them have intensive planning with intensive management with many hours spent saving a nickel.

and the number of "best" bloodlines is found by sqrt(# people asked)

if you want a name or 2: G A R Precision 2536 descendants, Everelda Entense, Rita 5H11 descendants.

preston39":3n290t8d said:
shep,
What do you consider to be the ..."performance end of the business".

Being as I do not know much about the cattle business, that question crossed my mind - glad you asked it.

Bez!

As a general 'across-the-board' answer to questions such as, "What line should I get?" or "What Family is 'best'" "What Bull is BEST?" I would say there is no 'BEST' except in the eyes of the breeders who make an acceptable income from their use.
That discussion degenerates into the same catagory as "Chevy or Ford" or "Coca-Cola or Pepsi Cola". How about - - The Chicago White Sox or the - - -California or Los Angeles or LA or Anaheim Angels? The long and short of it all is there is no BEST or RIGHT or CORRECT anything! There are greater differences (good and bad) between individuals WITHIN any breed than there are between GOOD individuals between breeds.

My suggestion would be this: Contact the Breed Associations of as many Breeds as you wish - three or eight or 20 - and read all the information on that particular breed. You can find them all in the green pane at the CattleToday web site under "Associations". You will be filled with information and ideas and enthusium so that you will have to lie down and take a short nap. Then when you wake up, take a deep breath and flip a coin. If you are happy with the way it turns out (heads or tails) go for it. If you are UNhappy with the way it turns out (heads or tails) you probably have already made up your mind anyway. Go for it. Just be darned sure that you are informed enough in advance so that you have confidence in what you are doing. Get educated. Keep an open mind and learn everything you can. It's a BLAST! :D

DOC HARRIS

Performance and show business in the Angus breeds are not necessarily the same thing. When you look at the bulls that produce sons that perform well on feed tests and then look at bulls that sire the grand champions here and there, they're not usually the same bulls. That may not be true of other breeds. And there are some Angus bulls that can do both. Krugerrand of Donamere was a big time show bull in his younger years. We started using him after we saw his sons perform well on feed tests around the country. It's my own personal flaw that I won't use a bull highly promoted by a show operation until his accuracies are very high, I've seen bulls on test, or know someone who's been using him with success.

TennCattleMan57":3tty9kr7 said:
Again well put. Salers has what is called a midland bull test. I would only buy bulls that have been on those.

WHAT?

TennCattleMan57":36xx3km6 said:
Again well put. Salers has what is called a midland bull test. I would only buy bulls that have been on those.

The Midland Bull test doesn't belong to Salers, though I think more Salers are tested there than any other test.

MikeC":25g6u3bw said:
TennCattleMan57":25g6u3bw said:

WHAT?

Mike , I don't think he has a clue about what he's talking about.

WORANCH":2qfo7j98 said:
MikeC":2qfo7j98 said:
TennCattleMan57":2qfo7j98 said:

WHAT?

Out of curiosity, after reading this thread, I logged onto "Dogpile" and requested information on "Midland Bull Test Results" Then I clicked on one of the sites and discovered the March 28, 2005 "Western Livestock Journal" report on the Midland Test Results! Ve-e-e-r-r ry interesting! It would be worth investigating the results. It covers the results of eight breeds of bulls on test during 2004-2005 and Salers is the second largest group of bulls on test during that period with 130 bulls tested, Red Angus being the largest number with 150 bulls represented.

Interesting reading, Folks!

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":3k8g1yax said:
WORANCH":3k8g1yax said:
MikeC":3k8g1yax said:
TennCattleMan57":3k8g1yax said:

WHAT?

Out of curiosity, after reading this thread, I logged onto "Dogpile" and requested information on "Midland Bull Test Results" Then I clicked on one of the sites and discovered the March 28, 2005 "Western Livestock Journal" report on the Midland Test Results! Ve-e-e-r-r ry interesting! It would be worth investigating the results. It covers the results of eight breeds of bulls on test during 2004-2005 and Salers is the second largest group of bulls on test during that period with 130 bulls tested, Red Angus being the largest number with 150 bulls represented.

Interesting reading, Folks!

DOC HARRIS

Your right Doc I did find this interesting

Angus 50
The average Green Tag bull had an average BW of 78, WW of 723, ADG of 3.24, WDA of 3.11 and an average 365 day weight of 1,238.

Red Angus 150
The Green Tag division averaged 76 for birth weight, 715 for WW, 3.41 for ADG, 3.16 for WDA, and 1,250 for 365 weight.

Salers 130
The average Green Tag bull had an average BW of 76, WW of 691, ADG of 3.05, WDA of 2.92 and an average 365 day weight of 1,170.

It is an interesting read, but it's not accurate. There were 653 Angus at the start of the test. Some have dropped out, but not 603 head. You can click on the link below and see the results for all breeds.

Also notice that the Angus uses 90 day contemporary groups; other breeds use 120 day groupings to get their numbers up.

http://www.midlandbulltest.com/pages/reportsindex.html

Frankie":14s77h0h said:
It is an interesting read, but it's not accurate. There were 653 Angus at the start of the test. Some have dropped out, but not 603 head. You can click on the link below and see the results for all breeds.

Also notice that the Angus uses 90 day contemporary groups; other breeds use 120 day groupings to get their numbers up.

I guess you can't trust what you read .

http://www.wlj.net/editorial/032805_mid ... esults.asp

WORANCH":wydxgsv7 said:
Frankie":wydxgsv7 said:

I guess you can't trust what you read .

http://www.wlj.net/editorial/032805_mid ... esults.asp

I read that article and knew there were more than 50 bulls Angus in the Midland test. I guess even WLJ can make a mistake.

Latest posts