Purchased my first yearling Hereford Bull in 10 years

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo":5sjla12w said:
The standard answer you'll get on the board is marketing and AAA.
I'd say yes to all the other breeds trying to trick buyers into thinking their cattle are angus, but a sharp buyer is going to know. And once cut open and graded, angus and their marbling will win...So the answer is, their marbling makes them taste better.

cowgirl8":3mqm388s said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3mqm388s said:
The standard answer you'll get on the board is marketing and AAA.
I'd say yes to all the other breeds trying to trick buyers into thinking their cattle are angus, but a sharp buyer is going to know. And once cut open and graded, angus and their marbling will win...So the answer is, their marbling makes them taste better.

They DO NOT marble any better than a Hereford or any other British cattle. It's mostly hype created(very successfully I might add) by the Angus Assn.

Now Darlin you have a choice.

Option 1...you say Oh yea I forgot about that little bullshyt deal and we all live happily ever after.....or

Option 2 ...you say no that's not true Angus REALLY are better than all other breeds and you complete your training for dumbass of the year on Cattle Today.

The choice is yours........choose carefully!

KNERSIE":37sakgky said:
M5farm":37sakgky said:
cowgirl8":37sakgky said:
You watch, black baldie will be what people want. And if you're old enough, a black baldie is a angus/hereford. And yes, obviously you can taste the difference, the reason now people pay a premium for an certified angus even at McDonalds.

So angus/herford is the only one that will make a black baldie? What if a angus and herford sire and dam have a baldie calf this year and next year its a soild black off of the same angus and herford. The white face calf will taste better than the solid black ???

If you want true black baldies it has to be angus and horned hereford if you're a purist. I've done a lot of crossbreeding and I'm yet to see a genuine hereford sire solid coloured calves.

Knersie has noted something that was not mentioned in the prior thread about Herefords siring solid coloured calves. We now have 1 registry in the states for polled and horned Herefords. I will not argue against Knersie's point that a genuine(pure horned) Hereford will not sire solid coloured calves. The short-marked, freckled faces and extreme goggle eyes I have seen are more prevalent in the polled lines.

Knersie has noted something that was not mentioned in the prior thread about Herefords siring solid coloured calves. We now have 1 registry in the states for polled and horned Herefords. I will not argue against Knersie's point that a genuine(pure horned) Hereford will not sire solid coloured calves. The short-marked, freckled faces and extreme goggle eyes I have seen are more prevalent in the polled lines.[/quote]

So where does it come from?

cowgirl8":301h2pbg said:
Then can you explain why you'd pay more for angus rather than a regular big mac?
I don't. Only when another choice is not available would I pick "angus beef". The extra cost of the label isn't worth it to me.
My favorite brand of hot dog wieners now has an angus beef label......really. It's already ground up to a slurry. Not going to get more tender than that and if angus is more flavorful it's going to be lost in all the binders and fillers needed to put the slurry back together.
Yep. The angus brainwashing machine is going strong. But it's the super baldie that rings the bell and gives the scale a workout. ;-)

Alan":2atjppnc said:
Back to the OP bull, I like progress a lot and will use him more in the future. Your bull is a grandson of progress what's on his dams side?

She's sired by "HA Masterpiece 242", a Governor son. If you Google him you'll find his registration.
I did just drop him off, I had two black Angus bulls and one injured his penis. I thought I would look around and see what was available and found this guy. The price was right so I brought him home.

mncowboy":177l11cl said:
Alan":177l11cl said:
Back to the OP bull, I like progress a lot and will use him more in the future. Your bull is a grandson of progress what's on his dams side?

She's sired by "HA Masterpiece 242", a Governor son. If you Google him you'll find his registration.
I did just drop him off, I had two black Angus bulls and one injured his penis. I thought I would look around and see what was available and found this guy. The price was right so I brought him home.

I did google, nice, a double 20x line close up with 46b on one side. Very respectable bull and should do well for you. Please keep me updated with pics in a year or so, I would love to see him when he matures a bit. :tiphat:

Nice bull!
Alan

cowgirl8":18n9pwg5 said:
I got ready about 10, 15 years ago....anyone who has red or solid calves needs to get ready.
Says by someone with highly mongrelized cattle & inconsistent calves. If you are so ready then why you are not running Hereford bulls with the cows?

3waycross":1ahbbbll said:
Knersie has noted something that was not mentioned in the prior thread about Herefords siring solid coloured calves. We now have 1 registry in the states for polled and horned Herefords. I will not argue against Knersie's point that a genuine(pure horned) Hereford will not sire solid coloured calves. The short-marked, freckled faces and extreme goggle eyes I have seen are more prevalent in the polled lines.

So where does it come from?[/quote]

Its a result of the frame race

KNERSIE":2k72sxlw said:
3waycross":2k72sxlw said:

Its a result of the frame race[/quote]

I would have guessed originally the introduction of the polled gene into Herefords. Of course you are right about some of the bulls that increased the frame size had goggle eyes and little of the typical white markings of a Hereford.

KNERSIE":1ptzsv4k said:
3waycross":1ptzsv4k said:

Its a result of the frame race[/quote]

Fleckvieh?

Sometime this winter we'll be on the lookout for couple good hereford bulls to put on our black cows. Kind of tired of black boring calves...lol

I understand this is about Angus vs. Hereford vs. black baldie......

The best beef taste is Jersey. The best beef tenderness and texture is Piedmontese. A thick stark will tear when you try to flip it on the grill. I have eaten quite a few steaks from the cross, and there is no comparison to any Angus steak. I have never had an Angus steak separate on the grill or when you are cutting it, you are thinking, "I could cut this with a fork" as it separates and tears. So tender. Sooo good.

Oh yea! Nothing, I mean nothing beats a good Hereford steak! Especially if you cook it at a slow boil for a few minutes then finish it off in the microwave! So good you can cut it with a hatchet no problem and last in your mouth for a long while! Good eats!

Amazing! We have almost 1000 posts on this thread, and have lurched back into the same old tired rhetoric concerning which is BEST - Angus or Hereford - or - horned or polled - or - or black white-face - or - color - color - color - on to infinity! OR , throwing the same old tired blather relating to the AAA (American Angus Association), which is nothing more than "Breed" prejudice harkening back to the days when the Hereford Breed was the supreme beef breed in the USA ( with justifiable reasons) and the Angus breed (and others) were taking the hind teat. When the Angus breeders got their collective heads out of wherever they had been, and began to pay attention to genetic reality and scientific facts, and a common sense BALANCE between those factors, along with increased education by cattle producers relating to accuracies of selection traits and characteristics - the more astute breeders became aware of the realities of Dominance of Genetics in many of the important profitable factors in making a PROFIT in the beef cattle business. "Single Trait Selection" (Hide "color" being one and Breed "Name" being another) still pervades the thinking of narrow-minded "cattle multipliers" who still can't ascertain why they can't dig themselves out of the "that's-just-the-way-that-we-have-always-done-it!" thinking, and realize the kind of PROFIT that is possible to be realized by paying attention to others who have more sense than they do.

But - in the 6000 year history of recorded world activities, the old Devil "ARROGANCE" will continue to yell in their ears "NOBODY can tell YOU what to do! You know it all!"

And we will continue to have the same stupid justification of 'ignorance' that exists today. And we will continue to have cattle breeders who will ignore reality and advanced knowledge, and continue to wonder why they have less than optimal breeding successes with their herds. EPD's are a scam, and DNA is advanced educational hooey! AND, "Multiple Trait Selection" choices is too much trouble.

Rant over!

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts