Purchased my first yearling Hereford Bull in 10 years

Help Support CattleToday:

Back to the OP bull, I like progress a lot and will use him more in the future. Your bull is a grandson of progress what's on his dams side?

IMAG2053_zps840749b6.jpg

Just noticed the truck and trailer pulling off. Did he just get there in these photos? Thanks for sharing the photos and pedigree.

Alan":26vgv8fs said:
??? Black Baldies a new trend?? Get ready for it?? BB's have been topping the market for many years. The only way to get a true black baldy is a black angus crossed with a Hereford. Not disagreeing with Knersie, I believe the "purist" use a horned Hereford bull on Black Angus cows. If your getting ready for it your ten miles behind already.

Maybe the term baldie is confusing people, typically BWF is used these days. :lol:

skeeter swatter":1z2vs02k said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1z2vs02k said:
You can actually taste the difference huh? Interesting.

Actually there have been taste tests done among purebreds.
And Hereford was consistently the winner.
I'm sure that Wagyu & Jersey have been winners for tender beef.

Carlos F.":asnp4d2b said:
KNERSIE":asnp4d2b said:
M5farm":asnp4d2b said:
So angus/herford is the only one that will make a black baldie? What if a angus and herford sire and dam have a baldie calf this year and next year its a soild black off of the same angus and herford. The white face calf will taste better than the solid black ???

If you want true black baldiesit has to be angus and horned hereford if you're a purist. I've done a lot of crossbreeding and I'm yet to see a genuine hereford sire solid coloured calves.

Commercial cow. 75% Hereford x Red Angus.(could be 87,5% Hereford). Pure Hereford, no question about it, I guess the explanation is on the Red Angus side.
That particular herd Red Angus herd I had many years ago seemed to me it had Holstein influence, very little of the true Angus type I was used too.

Did all of the Hereford influence come from operations that had Hereford and no other breed on the place? Reason I ask is I know a Hereford/Red Angus guy that sells bulls and more than once his whiteface bulls have thrown a solid on whiteface cows and a solid thrown a whiteface on solid cows.

Aaron":3bian76g said:
Did all of the Hereford influence come from operations that had Hereford and no other breed on the place? Reason I ask is I know a Hereford/Red Angus guy that sells bulls and more than once his whiteface bulls have thrown a solid on whiteface cows and a solid thrown a whiteface on solid cows.

The Hereford influence comes from registered Hereford breeders, and as far as I know none of them had any other breed.

Taurus":33l329b9 said:
But but but my local steakhouse has a statue of a longhorn...does that mean that I must switch my herd to longhorns?
YES
Do it now. Longhorns, Longhorns. No questions. Just do it. Longhorns. When I snap my fingers you will forget you read this. :nod:

Impressive this thread has gotten this big in less than 24 hours. Around here we call Angus Hereford cross black baldies and I can tell you that the baldy calves are definitely bringing good prices around here and the commercial breeders are seeking out Hereford bulls now more than ever. Nearly all our bull buyers have been commercial breeders with black Angus crossbred cows and 1 guy even told us he only buy Hereford bulls from now on as his Hereford cross calves have been weaning 100 lbs heavier than any cross he's done before. It's definitely has become a popular cross due to the heterosis you get by crossing Angus and Hereford genetics and all you need to qualify for the Certified Hereford Beef program is a white faced calf with Hereford influence.

SPH":1y4chbv1 said:
Impressive this thread has gotten this big in less than 24 hours. Around here we call Angus Hereford cross black baldies and I can tell you that the baldy calves are definitely bringing good prices around here and the commercial breeders are seeking out Hereford bulls now more than ever. Nearly all our bull buyers have been commercial breeders with black Angus crossbred cows and 1 guy even told us he only buy Hereford bulls from now on as his Hereford cross calves have been weaning 100 lbs heavier than any cross he's done before. It's definitely has become a popular cross due to the heterosis you get by crossing Angus and Hereford genetics and all you need to qualify for the Certified Hereford Beef program is a white faced calf with Hereford influence.
And there you go. Said better than i can.

cowgirl8":3c2694z3 said:
SPH":3c2694z3 said:
And there you go. Said better than i can.

??? Huh? First I think this post maybe posted on the wrong thread, maybe not. But I'm still stuck on your getting ready for the trend post. Putting a Hereford bull on your black angus cows is not new, nor is putting a BA bull on your hereford cows new.

I got ready about 10, 15 years ago....anyone who has red or solid calves needs to get ready.

3waycross":2bpm6cep said:
cowgirl8":2bpm6cep said:
You watch, black baldie will be what people want. And if you're old enough, a black baldie is a angus/hereford.

And yes, obviously you can taste the difference, the reason now people pay a premium for an certified angus even at McDonalds.

HORSESHYT
Then can you explain why you'd pay more for angus rather than a regular big mac?

cowgirl8":1koet1jo said:
3waycross":1koet1jo said:
cowgirl8":1koet1jo said:
You watch, black baldie will be what people want. And if you're old enough, a black baldie is a angus/hereford.

And yes, obviously you can taste the difference, the reason now people pay a premium for an certified angus even at McDonalds.

HORSESHYT
Then can you explain why you'd pay more for angus rather than a regular big mac?

You seriously didn't just ask that did you?

Yes, i'm asking..... You say its horse (&&*^%$^ then tell me why people pay more for angus?

Latest posts