Puppies and Parvo disease Help!

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefordcross

Reaction score
Don't know much about parvo. I have a 3 month old blue heeler that's in the vet's office/hospital for three days now and the bill is sky rocketing. More money than I would spend on my best cow! They tell me that if he doesn't get any worse through the night he'll have a 70% chance of making it. If he doesn't do any better in the morning then I'll have to let 'em put him down. I have had to put a many a cow/calf down with a bullet, first one I had to do I was only 12. But, man oh man I'm hoping I don't have to let them put this pup down. I surely can't do it to the little guy, so the vet 'll have to be the one to do it. He's good with our daughters and the momma cows and he is only 3 mos. old. Anyone have any experience with this parvo stuff?

our lab had rottweiler puppies one time and two of them that we had left had parvo (before we even knew about parvo). had had tons of puppies before with no parvo. supposedly rottweilers are really susceptible to it though. anyway, the male died and the female lived but was braindamaged. always get parvo shots.

My brother had a puppy get it one time and he took it to the vet and it ended up dying. If I remember right it didn't take very long. He got another dog after some time and it came down with parvo and died also. The vet then told him that Parvo can live on surfaces for a long time(don't remember how long). Seems like he had to bleach stuff and do something with the yard. He waited a while before getting any more dogs and didn't have any more problems.

Since it has been 3 days I would think that his chances are pretty good. ??

You can treat parvo with gator aid and kopectate . I saved a good pup useing this . The gator aid every 2-3 hours about 10-20 cc. And the kopectate for the diarera. My vet told me how to treat it , and it worked for me .

He knew I would not pay to treat a dog.

I think once they've had parvo they can't get it again...that the good news.

The other good news...there's vaccinations for that.

Alice

WORANCH
Posted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:18 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can treat parvo with gator aid and kopectate . I saved a good pup useing this . The gator aid every 2-3 hours about 10-20 cc. And the kopectate for the diarera. My vet told me how to treat it , and it worked for me .

He knew I would not pay to treat a dog.

And normally I wouldn't pay to treat a dog. I have never spent as much money for cow treatment as I have this dog. We just put down a German Shephard a while back due to hip problems and I bought this dog more or less for my two young daughters and well, he is a good truck/tractor or whatever your driving ride a long dog. So I figured I'd give him a fair shake.

Gate Opener":1b8ckb8t said:
The vet then told him that Parvo can live on surfaces for a long time(don't remember how long). Seems like he had to bleach stuff and do something with the yard.

You can use a bleach solution from a pump up sprayer to help. I think the time period was a year but I might be mistaken. It is a nasty disease and affects puppies. I forget the age that they become less susceptible to it.

Herefordcross I'm sorry for your troubles. My folks had another breeder bring it to the place and lost a pup. Do a google search for better info.

I hope your puppy gets better.

I know a lady who bought a $100 pup then spent over $500 at the vet fighting parvo, and still lost that pup. Sorry to see anyone lose a family pet.

I've dealt with more cases of parvo than I care to think about and one thing, you never forget the smell of parvo. I think the oldest dog I've ever seen with parvo was a little over a year but we were taught that they are susceptable up to 2 years. I have known dogs to survive with just kao and pedialyte.

One of the biggest thing is to keep them hydrated. One of the vets I worked for would recommend for people who didn't have the money to treat their parvo puppies 30cc(1 oz)every hour of pedialyte and kao according to weight. Since parvo is a virus all you're really trying to do is keep the dog alive till it runs it course.

Good luck. I hope he gets better. Actually, I've seen a good number of puppies survive parvo. I would highly recommend not getting anymore puppies for a long time though.

Duck

Tealduck":21e2rkox said:
I've dealt with more cases of parvo than I care to think about and one thing, you never forget the smell of parvo. I think the oldest dog I've ever seen with parvo was a little over a year but we were taught that they are susceptable up to 2 years. I have known dogs to survive with just kao and pedialyte.

One of the biggest thing is to keep them hydrated. One of the vets I worked for would recommend for people who didn't have the money to treat their parvo puppies 30cc(1 oz)every hour of pedialyte and kao according to weight. Since parvo is a virus all you're really trying to do is keep the dog alive till it runs it course.

Good luck. I hope he gets better. Actually, I've seen a good number of puppies survive parvo. I would highly recommend not getting anymore puppies for a long time though.

Duck

Good post.

We had a litter of Pups get sick last Spring. They exhibited every sign of Parvo, looked like the picture of health one day, and were emmaciated a day or 2 later. Took the 2 worst to our Vet, and they ran a Parvo test right that minute, that for some reason is not always accurate. One died an hour after getting there, the other about 3 days later.The rest of the litter lived, and never got as sick as the one's that died. These Pups turned out to have a form of E Coli and not Parvo, that's carried by Birds. I had Vaccinated all of them with a 7 Way shot at 6 weeks old. Also, aside from E Coli, there is a "Parvo Imposter" disease that so far has been un-named. If a fecal exam is done by a Vet as soon as any symptoms are seen, heavy duty antibiotics, and IV's will usually save them.I've never heard of a Pup surviving Parvo, at least one under 2 months.

FYI: Parvo will stay in the ground up to 4 months, and a myth that needs to be dispelled is that Parvo did not "Blow" across the Pacific from Japan. It can be brought on your place VIA Tires, Shoes,etc. or in infected animal getting around your Dogs. (stray)

They fooled around for a couple of days but now it's been 3 + days that hes had antibiotics and other medicines in him and the parvo test has been negative but, that's the assumption the vet is making because he can't find anything else.

That worries me a little, what Crowder said about birds. My brother's said on more than one occassion that birds can carry virus and bacteria that can make animals sick. I more or less didn't pay attention...but I'm now rapidly changing my mind. What bother's me also is that I'm finding dead birds on a more or less regular basis...not every day, but but used to be I'd never come across on. Now, I bet I do about twice a month.

Alice

The parvo strains are mutating and it is no longer a "puppy" disease. More and more it is effecting adult dogs also and killing them quick, 2-4 days, some with no diarreah. The vaccines are fairly fragile and can go bad easily. And no vaccine is 100%. Several times a year a dog or cat that has been properly vaccinated for rabies will still get the disease.

The parvo virus effects 7-10 days after exposure so if a pup was exposed before the vaccination the vaccine will not work. It is also very important to give the right number of vaccinations to pups as the first one only takes about 1/2 the time.

The distemper vaccine has shown to help if administered after known exposure.

We had a German shorthair pup survive parvo after intensive treatment but his nervous system was affected and he had panic attacks to the point that he would roll into a fetal position and stay for hours. Got to the point that it was abuse to let him go on so had to put him down. Good luck with your puppy, he may be a lucky survivor.

I've always heard that you couldn't have an unvaccinated pup on the exposed dirt for 5 years -
Vicky the Vet - can you dispel the rumors?????

Parvo can be brought in on your shoes. If you start rethinking your whereabouts or your children's perhaps they've been to someone's house that had parvo.

I had 2 boston terrier pups come down with it and it cost over $300 each at the vet's but they did survive. Vet told me if they make it past the 3 days they usually survive. They were on IV's.

If you had a pen you keep him in be sure to spray it down with Clorox bleach. Bleach is the only thing that will kill parvo and I've heard some say that Clorox is the only bleach that will.

Don't bring any new puppies to your place for a while.

Using bleach on soil is useless because the virus gets down into the soil beyond the reach of the bleach. Bleach is fine on smooth surfaces. I've had pups to contract Parvo even when vaccinated properly. Full immunity is not achieved until a full round of vaccinations has been administered. Shots need to be given at 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16 weeks of age. Breeders that vaccinate at 6 weeks and think pups are fully protected are backyard hobbyist who do not know dogs. I've had few pups to contract Parvo and none to live even with Gator-Aid and pedialyte. One pup spent a week at the vet, rallied then died. As far as pups being on infected ground, the best thing to do is vaccinate as I have outlined because Parvo can be brought in from various sources anyway. Putting a pup down is heart wrenching, but it beats the heck out of a long drawn out death of dehydration and bloody diarrhea.