Pulling the bull out

Help Support CattleToday:

Got a question from a little different angle and probably should have its own thread but much of this dissucssion talks about preg testing and culling open cows. I understand the system of culling open cows and the reasoning for a tight breeding and calving season. I've seen replacement cows go for upwards of $1800 this past spring. If you paid that much for a cow, can you justify culling her if she comes open any time in the next year or two? Do you take the $600 - $800 and ship her putting a bullet in her head and replace her with another $1300 - $1800 dollar cow? Has anyone put much thought on this other than to say "she's open, ship her"? Basicaly what I am asking is, at what point does (or can) the cost of a cow or the cost of raising a replacement get high enough to maybe not cull her just because she came open?

1982vett":23wo6dhg said:
Got a question from a little different angle and probably should have its own thread but much of this dissucssion talks about preg testing and culling open cows. I understand the system of culling open cows and the reasoning for a tight breeding and calving season. I've seen replacement cows go for upwards of $1800 this past spring. If you paid that much for a cow, can you justify culling her if she comes open any time in the next year or two?

Yes, and here's why I would. Okay, you've got a cow that you've maintained for the last 9 months believing she was pregnant. For arguments sake lets just say it cost $400.00 a year to maintain said cow. Calving time comes and she comes up open. You've now just lost those 9 months and the $$ it cost to keep her. You've also lost the potential $$$ her calf would bring, lets just say that calf would have brought $400.00. Now you're out $400.00. You keep her for another year hoping she won't come up open. She does. You've now lost another possible $400.00 for that calf, in addition to the potentail $$$ for last calf (neither of which she had) plus the $800.00 you spent maintaining her for the last 2 years. That's $1,600.00 you don't have.

I may not have explained quite as eloquently as some of the others, but hopefully I got the point across.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":15bt2bgz said:
I may not have explained quite as eloquently as some of the others, but hopefully I got the point across.

Katherine

Good point . You bought a cow from MM's herd. You should expect that.

( Don't keep any off spring, just a hint ).

1982vett":1p795ecc said:
Got a question from a little different angle and probably should have its own thread but much of this dissucssion talks about preg testing and culling open cows. I understand the system of culling open cows and the reasoning for a tight breeding and calving season. I've seen replacement cows go for upwards of $1800 this past spring. If you paid that much for a cow, can you justify culling her if she comes open any time in the next year or two? Do you take the $600 - $800 and ship her putting a bullet in her head and replace her with another $1300 - $1800 dollar cow? Has anyone put much thought on this other than to say "she's open, ship her"? Basicaly what I am asking is, at what point does (or can) the cost of a cow or the cost of raising a replacement get high enough to maybe not cull her just because she came open?

If she comes in open in the fall, you have to ask why. Did she milk too heavy to rebreed under your conditions? Then sell her to someone else where she will perform, because she'll likely be open again. Think she had other fertility issues? Many are inheritable, cut your losses instead of taking the chances of her actually having a calf. I guarantee if she does get bred, she'll have a beautiful heifer that has fertility issues :( Or did she come in open because of bull failure? Consider keeping her then.

ALX.":3jcxbxun said:
Workinonit Farm":3jcxbxun said:

Katherine

Good point . You bought a cow from MM's herd. You should expect that.

( Don't keep any off spring, just a hint ).
:lol:

WORANCH":8ng4z1oj said:
ALX.":8ng4z1oj said:
TexasBred":8ng4z1oj said:
As for bumping calves....just gotta wait too long before you can bump one and then it's gotta be big...a lot of good cattle have been culled carrying 5 month calves just because the owner didn't know how to pregnancy check his cattle.

Not in a beef system as described by msscamp or myself and others.

No but you will feed open cows all winter .
With the price of feed (hay) you can't afford to carry over open cows..

Occasionaly(sp?) perhaps, but it was the exception rather than the rule.

msscamp":tydie0e7 said:
WORANCH":tydie0e7 said:
ALX.":tydie0e7 said:

No but you will feed open cows all winter .
With the price of feed (hay) you can't afford to carry over open cows..

Occasionaly(sp?) perhaps, but it was by far the exception rather than the rule.

MM, perhaps you could show me where I 'insisted' that preg-checking was a 'waste of time and money' for everyone? As far as my level of experience, and involvement in my parents cattle operation - your opinion is completely and totally irrelevant to me.

Chris H":1ebv4jm8 said:
1982vett":1ebv4jm8 said:

If she comes in open in the fall, you have to ask why. Did she milk too heavy to rebreed under your conditions? Then sell her to someone else where she will perform, because she'll likely be open again. Think she had other fertility issues? Many are inheritable, cut your losses instead of taking the chances of her actually having a calf. I guarantee if she does get bred, she'll have a beautiful heifer that has fertility issues :( Or did she come in open because of bull failure? Consider keeping her then.

I agree with Chris H, I would still cull her and chalk it up as tuition fees. (have done it on more than one occasion)

My concern isn't with infertility, but rather with low fertility, that cow that was open will calve the next time with a big energy reserve because of being open the previous year, this means she is likely to settle again and probably raise a very good calf (if its a heifer its likely to be retained starting a vicious circle), but if her production is indeed out of synch with the environment she is likely to to either be open or settle late in the third year. The same cycle will repeat and her heifer will likely follow the same pattern.

I cannot tolerate having a cow that produces as follows:
dandy of a calf, open, dandy of a calf, another calf, open, dandy of a calf, another calf, open, etc.

In my herd I cull all open cows and all cows calving late for 2 seasons. (late means in the last few weeks of my normal calving season). If a cow calves late this year and catches up and calve early in the calving season the next year they don't have fertility or production issues and don't need to be culled.

And yes, I do preg check my cattle at weaning so the open cows can be put on the best grazing to fatten up before being send to slaughter. I cannot allow non productive cattle to have a summer vacation at my expense.

ALX.":1f92w50x said:
TexasBred":1f92w50x said:
As for bumping calves....just gotta wait too long before you can bump one and then it's gotta be big...a lot of good cattle have been culled carrying 5 month calves just because the owner didn't know how to pregnancy check his cattle.

ALX so you system consists of "bull in in spring...bull out..anything not bred in fall is history"? Sounds like you feed a lot of open cows for a long time without knowing if they're bred and especially if they're short bred. May work for you but bet you cull a lot of good cows....you can seldom bump a baby in a cow until she's 7 months bred...I can detect a 30 day calve with rectal palpation and to my knowledge have never caused any harm to a cow or her fetus in doing so.

But to each his own. I would recommend you have your bulls tested prior to breeding season every year so you don't end up culling yourself out of business.

ALX.":1egjr870 said:
TexasBred":1egjr870 said:
May work for you but bet you cull a lot of good cows....

If that is what you believe, then your dairy experience is showing.

One of these days, I would hope soon, ALX will get his/her head out of places unmentionable, and learn that "dairy" does NOT equal "infertility", "reproductive problems", "calving problems", or any of the other things s/he assumes about dairy cows. Y'all have no idea how much I look forward to the day ALX sees the light. :)

And just because you happen to know one dairyman who doesn't know how to cull and has given the rest of us a bad name... doesn't mean everyone is like that. I cull more ruthlessly than most beef producers on here; boss and I put a 6 month bred cow on the trailer to the packers last week.

ALX.":2lfmt9bf said:
TexasBred":2lfmt9bf said:
May work for you but bet you cull a lot of good cows....

If that is what you believe, then your dairy experience is showing.

Don't know how you Kanukistanians do it but if set on your a$$ half the year and expect calves then blame the cow cause she didn't have a calf "on time" I think a lots of that your fault. Your culling system is nothing more than the results of poor management. I'd love to have a chance at your culls. 99% of them are probably bred.

KNERSIE":ahcoa5fd said:
Chris H":ahcoa5fd said:
1982vett":ahcoa5fd said:

I agree with Chris H, I would still cull her and chalk it up as tuition fees. (have done it on more than one occasion)

My concern isn't with infertility, but rather with low fertility, that cow that was open will calve the next time with a big energy reserve because of being open the previous year, this means she is likely to settle again and probably raise a very good calf (if its a heifer its likely to be retained starting a vicious circle), but if her production is indeed out of synch with the environment she is likely to to either be open or settle late in the third year. The same cycle will repeat and her heifer will likely follow the same pattern.

I cannot tolerate having a cow that produces as follows:
dandy of a calf, open, dandy of a calf, another calf, open, dandy of a calf, another calf, open, etc.

In my herd I cull all open cows and all cows calving late for 2 seasons. (late means in the last few weeks of my normal calving season). If a cow calves late this year and catches up and calve early in the calving season the next year they don't have fertility or production issues and don't need to be culled.

And yes, I do preg check my cattle at weaning so the open cows can be put on the best grazing to fatten up before being send to slaughter. I cannot allow non productive cattle to have a summer vacation at my expense.

Been giving this one time to bounce around in some heads and to see if anyone wanted to stick their necks out one way or another. Here are some numbers using my herd as an example. I think we can all agree for the most part on the goal of a cow raising one calf each year. Rigid breeding seasons or AI or whatever, one calf a year.

Now for me, I calve year round. :???: No breeding season, no AI. Just the bulls and mother nature. Calving in winter is not that big of a deal. Not as bad as in the northern territories. :) I do not raise breeding stock to sell. At present I have 112 head 1 1/2 - 15 years of age.

Of these 112 head, 18 are exposed and have not calved, take these out, that leaves 94.

Of these,15 are 1st calf heifers, take these out and that leaves 79.

Of these, 13 have their second calf, remove these for insufficient data and that leaves 66.

Now of these, only 6 have never gone more than 365 without calving. :???: Sounds terrible don't it. But not so fast.

22 more have an average calving interval of less than 365 days and another 24 have a calving interval of 365 -372 days. (1 year and 7 days, approaching less than 365 days.)

The remaining 15 had their calving interval average torn up by going over 400 days before calving. Of these, 9 have never gone over 365 days since.

The remaining 6 are on the schlitz list as they are now
at 365+ days for the second time. Usually cull between 7 - 12 a year for various reasons, these will be part of that number.

So for me, shipping a $1400 cow because she does not breed between specific dates is not economical. In my opinion, it would be like buying a new set of tires every time you got a flat. For many, time and mother nature can make it back up.

So their it is for everyone to trash.

Vett if it works for you thats great but ...

Of these 112 head, 18 are exposed and have not calved, take these out, that leaves 94.

The 18 that are exposed when did they calve last ?

Do you record ever birth date?

When are the heifers due ?
Wil they calve at 24 mo. are before?

Of these, 13 have their second calf, remove these for insufficient data and that leaves 66.

Did these calve in less than 365?

What insufficient data do you mean?

22 more have an average calving interval of less than 365 days and another 24 have a calving interval of 365 -372 days. (1 year and 7 days, approaching less than 365 days.)

Heres 46 that get to stay :clap:

So for me, shipping a $1400 cow because she does not breed between specific dates is not economical

Did you pay 1400 a head for all of them ????

One more thing labor , fuel and your time spent runs up your cost when you have year round calving .
Selling a set of calves that are uniform in size and breed will bring alittle more money per pound.

I didn't no there was so many infertile cows in the country. I kinda run along like Vette except i do have a calfing season I pull my bull just before calving season, It dosen't matter how long the bull stays with the cows as long as he is out before the cows calve and start cycling agin. Maybe i am going about this all wrong all i worry about is my season getting backed up to far.

Ahhh, feet to the fire. :)
WORANCH":2jwvl7pt said:
Vett if it works for you thats great but ...

The 18 that are exposed when did they calve last ? Age 1 1/2 have never calved. Do you record ever birth date? yes

When are the heifers due ? If you are talking about the 15 1st calvers, they should begin calving in September (Let me clarify, right term or not, by 1st calf heifer I mean one that has had her first calf.)

Wil they calve at 24 mo. are before? The 18 exposed heifers should start calving around 22 months

Did these calve in less than 365? yes
What insufficient data do you mean? It means they have not had their third calf and have not proven themself to be a keeper or a shipper.

Heres 46 that get to stay :clap: Why, they all went over 365 days without calving at least once. That would make them open at least once during a time of culling open cows in a defined breeding season. They returned to less than or near a 365 day calving interval because of number of years in production.

So for me, shipping a $1400 cow because she does not breed between specific dates is not economical

Did you pay 1400 a head for all of them ???? No, mine range in price of $425 - $1375, comprarables in the area went for $1300 - $1800 just a few months ago.

One more thing labor , fuel and your time spent runs up your cost when you have year round calving .
Selling a set of calves that are uniform in size and breed will bring alittle more money per pound.
Pretty much make a round thru them everyday anyway whether I have any ready to calve or not. So saving labor, fuel, and time is not a factor. Pen the calves that need working when I pick up the ones to sell. No big deal their either. Would have to haul them to a bigger market to be sold in groups. Hauling is fuel, time, and shrink. Year round keeps the cash flowing and I have calves to sell when the market is higher not just when everyone else is selling and the market is lower. Working on getting them grouped so that calves in a pasture are of similar age.

Now let me say, If you raise seedstock and sell replacment heifers, I hope you follow a stringent breeding program and cull hard. If you do then the chance of me getting a slow breeder or unfertile prospect is reduced.

milkmaid":4w4x15c0 said:
And just because you happen to know one dairyman who doesn't know how to cull and has given the rest of us a bad name... doesn't mean everyone is like that. I cull more ruthlessly than most beef producers on here; boss and I put a 6 month bred cow on the trailer to the packers last week.

Talk to your boss about the commonly accepted fertility problems now being encountered within the holstein breed.

Here's one link of dozens. You sure you are in dairy?

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:hw ... d=20&gl=ca

I'll refrain from personal insults.

ALX there is a HUGE difference between a dairy operation and a beef operation. While the "Holstein" cow may be open she is still producing milk therefore bringing in a paycheck every day ,not the same with an open beef cow that has a weened calf, she is earning nothing and is freeloading.

It is feasible and does happen occasionally that you can milk a dairy cow for 2 years especially in the states where bst is used. Now if the cow is dry and still open there should be no exceptions to the rule and she should be culled, BUT do to pedigree influences sometimes even she will be given more chances to conceive.

Now with dairy we preg checked once a month and the herd was 99.9 % all AI ,the only time a clean up bull was used if she was unable to conceive through AI and that rarely happened.

ALX.":3ev8wq2d said:
milkmaid":3ev8wq2d said:

Talk to your boss about the commonly accepted fertility problems now being encountered within the holstein breed.

Here's one link of dozens. You sure you are in dairy?

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:hw ... d=20&gl=ca

I'll refrain from personal insults.

ALX what has your post got to do with how YOU cull your beef cows? The dairy links contain no news that most dairymen and all dairy nutritionist are now aware of...it does seem to try and put unnecessary fear in the mind of anyone feeding cottonseed meal and there is no real research to indicate csm will effect fertility in dairy cattle, although whole cottonseed will cause temp. infertility in bulls. Dairy cattle face many more challenges than beef cattle, are under much more stress and absolutely face more fertility probelms, although most will breed but often will abort due to those outside pressures eventually breeding and carrying the calf to calving. The old "one calf a year" rule doesn't apply to dairy as well. High producing dairy cattle often milk much longer than a year and remain highly profitable. Hard to dry off a cow giving 65 lbs. of milk a day.

I believe you began this with "bull in, bull out, calf in 9-10 months and cull all that haven't calved by then". Nof 2nd chances and absolutely no vet......I've made a lot of money off people like you who made a habit of culling cattle 5-6 months bred and not knowing it. Done the same with the "not so good" dairyman who tried to operate the same way. Buy his cull cows for $.35 to $.45 a pound and have a $600 heifer calf on the ground and a $2,000 milk cow ready to sell in 3 months. You just can't cure "stupid".

TexasBred":2p7hdvvq said:
I've made a lot of money off people like you who made a habit of culling cattle 5-6 months bred and not knowing it.

Nope. Very few if any culls, that was the point - stupid.

Fertile herd. Latex not required.

Latest posts