Pulling bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Lutalyse primer - For those that might not already know.

This site covers the bovine estrous cycle. https://www.wikihow.com/Tell-when-a...ows,heat until a few weeks after giving birth.

There are natural hormones involved - follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), estrogen, lutenizing hormone (LH), progesterone, and prostaglandin.

Lutalyse is prostagladin - a hormone. Lutalyse will work ONLY if there is a CL present on the ovary. If the heifer has not yet cycled, lutalyse will not cause her to start cycling. If a cow has not restarted her cycle after calving, lutalyse will not jumpstart her cycle. Lutalyse works by causing regression of the CL which is present on the ovary during a portion of the 21 day cycle. You can use lutalyse to bring a cycling cow into heat. Use a 1.5" needle and give the injection IM. If the CL is present, the cow should be in heat in 1 to 5 days. If the CL was not present (with no observed heat) give a second injection 10-12 days after the first one. IF the cow is cycling, that second shot should line up with a CL present and cause her to come in heat.

Lutalyse is used to reset the heat cycle - not jumpstart. And may take 1 or 2 injections depending on where the cow is in her cycle. Usually used with AI (artificial insemination). If you use lutalyse to SYNCH (synchronize) lots of cows to be in heat at the same time and are using a bull, he may be overworked.

Lutalyse can be used to abort early in a pregnancy. Women who may be pregnant should NOT handle lutalyse.

Lutalyse comes in the original concentration and an HC high concentration. The dosage is different.

If you want to jumpstart the heat cycle, the treatment is insertion of a CIDR in the vagina with a shot of GNRH, remove CIDR in 7 days and inject lutalyse. No miracle cure. You won't force a poor condition cow into heat with this, but may rush the process up in good conditions. This treatment is also used in cycling cows to tightly group the time that the cows come into heat when AI is to be used. This results in a shorter duration for heat checking and breeding. You would NOT want to do this to a large group of cows being bred with a bull.

GNRH is also used to treat cysts on the ovary.

Before you go to Lutalasing all your cows, I would have a breeding soundness exam on your bull. Besides a semen test you need to be sure he is sound otherwise too. It sounds like he is getting some age on him. Their fertility drops not only due to seen quality but their ability and desire to do the job. If you had him off the cows until June. The day before you put him out give lute to each cow. In roughly 5 days he would be busy. He could not breed them all. You can observe and track the cows he is following. Mid July do first round preg test. Any opens put a heat detection patch on them. Check the patches to see if they get mounted in the next few weeks. Recheck the cows mid August. .i do blood test. 2.50 each through dhia. I had a vet that 100 % wrong on the 6 he palated. The opens he called bred and the needs he called open. My cows are all different colors and breeds so I did not get confused his skills sucked. I have a new vet. This year I had one that the vet had called bred that was open. I did a full sync on her before putting her with the bull. Gnrh, lute, gnrh then put with the bull. She is bred. I've tested her 3 times to be sure. I really like this cow or she would have been gone before now. I had the bull out there may to end of july
I wanted to stick with calving windows so I leased my bull out for 90 days. The ones that were open after the first breeding season were a couple of heifers that were a bit young (14 months) , and some firstcalf heifers that I had allowed to get a bit too thin (my bad) and a couple of heifers that have issues. So during the break from the bull, I weaned the calves off the mommas. I fed them up to a good weight. I kept the mineral feeder stocked. The young heifers also had more feed. We had the open older heifer that was in good shape but failed to breed processed. We sold her as halves. I have one older heifer that if she doesn't get bred, I will sell her as a pet. May even break her to ride. She is very very docile and sweet. I am confident that my girls will get bred now that they are in the right condition. I'm leaving him in there until January 1. Feb 1 I will preg test the ones we are breeding now. Most of my bred girls will start calving in Feb. I have 15 babies heifers I'm raising up so next year I won't be so forgiving on my cows. These baby heifers get 90 days to get bred. One round only. The more you have, the easier it is to cull them.

I run my bull with the cows pretty much year round except for calving through breeding time
Here's the two options
1: You pull your bull after 45, 60 or whatever other time you want, and whatever isn't bred is open on preg check goes to the sale
2: You don't pull your bull, whatever is late goes to the sale

In other words, as long as you have a defined start of the breeding season, you're no better off one way or the other.. I don't pull the bull because then I'd have to pen him, feed him separately, etc.. it's just more management and work that doesn't need to be done, if he's with the cows he can graze and I don't have to bother with him, I find if they stay with the herd pretty much all year they don't get frustrated, aggressive, and break fences

At one time we left bulls in year around, mainly because we didn't have a good place to keep them away from the cows. For the last maybe 15-20 years we have pulled bulls after a certain amount of time. It was 90 days initially, but we have cut that to 60 days in the last 10 years. We put about 1 cow per month of age with our young bulls and up to 30 with older bulls. We separate the cattle so bulls are not in the same pasture or up against each other to prevent fighting and injuries like a broken penis. We preg. check and cull open cows about 45 days after bull removal. open. The open percentage was a little higher in the early years but we recently had a year with no opens, and usually don't have more than 5 or 6%. We usually only keep heifers born in the first 3 weeks although I have made some exceptions on cows that we missed AI, but who bred the first time to the bull. There are so many advantages to this. It gives us a nice uniform calf crop that can be sold as a group for more money and we are all done calving in about 2 months. I'm actually thinking of cutting this down to 45 days of bull turn out. Probably 95%+ of our calves are born within 45 days of the earliest expected birth dates anyway.

Latest posts