PTO shaft frustration

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
This problem only happens with the brushhog shaft. The pin that slides into the groove on the tractor pto shaft climbs out of the groove and burrs up the tractor shaft and and wedges in place.
Is it possible that the mower shaft is too long and doesn;t collapse enough when on rough ground? Weak spring in the coupler, replaced the locking mechanism twice on the coupler? The splines are a nice tight sliding fit and there is no play when the coupler is connected to the tractor.
I've been considering drilling out the coupler and just using a hardened bolt with a castled nut in place of the spring loaded catch. What size bolt would be the correct size. I've measured pins from a couple of different shafts and they're all different diameters.
Help

Thanks

dun

Most pto shafts/couplers are cross-drilled right through the center. I've had a few of the spring-loaded pins jam up over the years and just use the pins with the attached wire clip to hold the shaft on, picture below. 5/16" I believe, but could be wrong. You should be able to check the length of your shaft by raising the mower (3pt) or backing it up a hill with your back tires in a rut if pull type. If its too long you can "trim" some shafts with a hacksaw, just don't cut too much off.

ptopin.gif

First glance I'd have thought the spring was weak on the button but you fixed that. Is it banging up the front side? Then I'd go witht the shaft is too long theory. When you couple it up does the pin slide all the way in? Maybe the groove in the shaft isn't quite wide enough?

Dun your drive shaft could be too long. Have you checked it? I assume you are talking about the lock pin. The one you push to slide the couple up on the PTO shaft? I have never seen it happen but if it has done it twice I sure would be making sure the shaft is short enough to collapse without binding. I had to cut the inner shaft on my disk mower (BTW it is a FORT, POS) or it would bind when lowered all the way down.

Since the shaft is inside of those wonderful protective sleeves, how would I go about checking to see if the shaft is too long? I'm a little slow this morning so bear with me

Thanks

dun

What I do is, with the drive shaft connected, lower the implement down all the way, and ensure you can remove the drive shaft. In other words with the equipment lowered all the way down there is still sufficient slide in the drive shaft to remove it from the PTO on the tractor. If there is not enough play you will not be able to remove the shaft with the equipment all the way down.

You may need to back up on something so you can make sure the equipment lowers all the way to the bottom of the lift arm travel. What I mean is back the rear tires up on something or hang the equipment over a ditch or something to ensure it goes all the way down to the bottom of the lift arm travel. At this point you should still be able to remove the drive shaft from the PTO. If you can do this then you have sufficient travel in the drive shaft. The drive shaft should slide STRAIGHT off and not need you to bend the u-joint up or down to get it completely off of the PTO shaft.

Make sense?

How much slide do have from completely collapsed to extended to the mower? I would think anything less than 6 inchs wouldn't be enough travel. But then again I'd hate to cut it off and then need to use the implement on a larger tractor where the spread is farther. Since I use a small tractor for broadcasting, brushhogging, etc I've cut down several.

I would take the pto shaft apart, take the protective sleeve off then raise it as far as you can and lower it as far as you can ( suspending the cutter over a ditch or whatever ). The lowering it most likely won't be a problem, the shaft was to short you would notice it coming apart and flopping around.

If it is to long, the shaft could be jamming the knuckle with the lock pin up farther on the shaft as it binds up while the deck lifts or gets pushed up when you drive thru a low spot.

flaboy-":27hasq71 said:
Hey Dun, did ya figure this one out yet?

Well I cut abut 9 inches off of it and I think today in one of the dips it may have bound up again. Not going to worry about it. I'll leave it on until I get ready to cut hay on monday or tuesday and see where I'm at. Could probably cut another foot off of it and still be safe. Now I know why the guy put the bushhog on it when he bought the tractor and never had it off in 4-5 years.

dun

dun":97syvxno said:
flaboy-":97syvxno said:

Well I cut abut 9 inches off of it and I think today in one of the dips it may have bound up again. Not going to worry about it. I'll leave it on until I get ready to cut hay on monday or tuesday and see where I'm at. Could probably cut another foot off of it and still be safe. Now I know why the guy put the bushhog on it when he bought the tractor and never had it off in 4-5 years.

dun

Man it sounds like it was way out of wack. That is a lot to have to cut off.

flaboy-":1vpfzr0p said:
dun":1vpfzr0p said:
flaboy-":1vpfzr0p said:

dun

Man it sounds like it was way out of wack. That is a lot to have to cut off.

Pulled it off sunday to put the mower on. Slipped right off just like it should. Even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while

dun

MikeC":jj7yd2uc said:
Dun, Can you let the tongue of the tractor out another hole?

Nope, everything is as long or short as it can be. There are times I wish the 3pt arms were a foot longer though

dun