Protein and Mineral Ratios

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Using a protein suppliment mixed in with a mineral, what ratio scale do you go by. Does anyone just use soybean meal or do you purchase a protein suppliment from a feed store? I realize the condition of the cows, age and pregnancy will have a lot to do with it. I am speaking of the category of bred heifers, older bred cows and yearlings. Seems most of the cattle people in West Tennessee just keep doing it the only way, which is how they learned at the beginning. I can't find any info on this ratio. Is there a good site that I am overlooking with this info?

Chuckie":c0xc8pbs said:
Using a protein suppliment mixed in with a mineral, what ratio scale do you go by. Does anyone just use soybean meal or do you purchase a protein suppliment from a feed store? I realize the condition of the cows, age and pregnancy will have a lot to do with it. I am speaking of the category of bred heifers, older bred cows and yearlings. Seems most of the cattle people in West Tennessee just keep doing it the only way, which is how they learned at the beginning. I can't find any info on this ratio. Is there a good site that I am overlooking with this info?

I'd like some info on this too, Chuckie. Right now I'm just lettin mine have free access to mineral blocks. I feed a little beanmeal along with the daily ration. I figure they'll take what they need off of the blocks. Some days they don't go near em, and other days they're lickin the daylights out of em.

george

I use a 2:1 mix of 45% portein peanut meal and salt. 20-25 pounds of magnesium or phosphorus mineral is included depending on time of year and grazing conditions. Cattle on wheat are offered 13.5% magnesium loose free choice mineral only. On dry pastures I add a 12% phosphorus mineral to the meal salt mix.

Check with your local feed mills, they probaly offer a couple of different
mineral mixes for different seasons.
Here in SW mo Tindles offers what they call Salt mix #1 & #2.
20% protien [soy bean meal]+ minerals for the season [#1 summer & fall, #2 winter & spring.
Just under $10 cwt. [198.00 per ton] in 50# bags.
Self limiting, easy to handle, avg. consumption 1# per day.

Hillbilly

Thanks for all the input. I am going to see what is available here as far as a mix. I like Moorman's mineral, but I am not sure if they have a protein-mineral mix. I have to look into that. We do have a Farmer's Co-op, but no feed mill close enough that I couldn't call it a small vacation to go there. There are some other feedstores that I will check into in Jackson. If Moorman's doesn't have a recipe for this, then I will venture out. Right now the cattle are on fescue, bermuda, clover, and lespedeza pasture. They are getting hay as they eat it, but they are still grazing a lot. We did get a killing frost last weekend and a couple more since then. So, things are going to change as far as what they need. I do have mineral blocks out for them. It is that time of the year again.

Latest posts