Prospector Line Breeding???

Help Support CattleToday:

BIZIN

Reaction score
has anyone ever heard of a Prospector line of linebred horned herefords. I found a site that mentioned them and said they were developed at Colorado State, and never found any other information on them. I really wanna find some good linebred hereford cows, and the more i hear about line ones the less i want to try them.

BIZIN":28z8gq8o said:
I really wanna find some good linebred hereford cows, and the more i hear about line ones the less i want to try them.

What have you heard about the line ones?

On the other thread you said you contacted Holdens and Coopers you cant get much better than that in my opinion.JHH

Ive talked to jack alot of the last year and I'm probably gonna buy about 40 heifers from him this year and see how they turn out, but a few people i have talked to who run their cows pretty hard, said they are big, eat alot, and are hard doers. my cows are ranch cows and they dont get babied, so i need a cow that cant winter very well on not a whole lot. and im told the holden cooper cows cant do it.

BIZIN":16wk2vpo said:
Ive talked to jack alot of the last year and I'm probably gonna buy about 40 heifers from him this year and see how they turn out, but a few people i have talked to who run their cows pretty hard, said they are big, eat alot, and are hard doers. my cows are ranch cows and they dont get babied, so i need a cow that cant winter very well on not a whole lot. and im told the holden cooper cows cant do it.

I hope you do buy the 40 and let us know how they do. I just cant see them having that bad of cows. I know they will have to adjust but I cant see them having that hard of a time doing just that. You might want to watch the milk # . I really cant say I dont have any from them but just cant see that happening.

There is a guy in northern part of Iowa that has Prospectors but I cant remember his name. I will try and look it up for you.

You've never heard??? No, I'm just joking. PCC cattle spark some big arguments. They are from right near here in Burlington, CO. Probably some line~breds around if you looked. He also has a few horned Herefords. They are thick, moderate, high volumed, and easy fleshing cattle that will thrive in the harshest of environments. Contrary to popular belief, they WILL work where you are at. You can contact the main man, Kit, at http://www.pharocattle.com . There is also a classifieds section in there that always has some cattle for sale. PM with any other questions.

I might suggest you take a look at the Deewall Family Hereford web site. I bought one of their bulls and I'm very happy with him. We don't feed any supplementation at all and he gained all last winter on Brome hay. Their herd is line bred as well.

http://www.deewallherefords.com

I would also suggest you look at the Kansas Hereford Association web site. Here's a link to their site. Take a look at the membership directory.

http://www.kansashereford.org/

Here is a link to some more information on the Prospectors.

http://www.witherspoonsherefords.com/WNHWEB11.HTM

BIZIN":3h1jwt2c said:
has anyone ever heard of a Prospector line of linebred horned herefords. I found a site that mentioned them and said they were developed at Colorado State, and never found any other information on them. I really wanna find some good linebred hereford cows, and the more i hear about line ones the less i want to try them.

The Prospectors were linebred to Colorado Domino 68. Colorado Domino 68 was one of the main contributors to the dwarfism problems in the Hereford breed back when. The story I always herd was the cattle were donated to CSU and they set out to breed the dwarfism out of them and as far as I know, they did. Prospector 7558 was one of the first bulls to impact the Hereford breed from the CSU linebreeding program. His double grandsire was Prospector 9022 who was the result of mating a bull to his own dam. I had heard that that was the mating that really made the line. Prospector 7558 was used alot. Prospector 0716 was a 7558 son and was a taller bull than his sire. One of the men who used 0716 successfully was Frank Felton. He developed his Prospectors by linebreeding to 0716. They were known for scrotal size, udder quality and thriftiness. There are lots of descendents of the feltons prospectors still in the breed today, although I don't know of any tightly linebreed herds of them.
If you are looking for line 1's that are more range type cattle go to the source....Miles City. Or to a breeder that has basically bred them straight from there. Contact Mike MacNeil at Miles City and tell him you want to buy some cows that are high percentage Miles City Line 1 and who has been a repeat customer at the station that could sell you some cows. There are cattlemen in the Montana area that have really concentrated the bloodline and don't advertise much at all. He just might give you a good tip on who to contact. There was a Ken Carlson in South Dakota and Lester Nelson in south Dakota, you might see if Mr MacNeil could give you contact info on either of them. There are others too. There were a couple Langleys up there who used to buy every year at the Miles City auction. MacNeil might know of someone in Canada, although I don't think I ever heard a Canadian name called from the auction block. The Montana State University station at Havre, MT has a herd of Herefords that are Miles City Line 1. Google MSU for a website and contact info. They don't have a sale, I think they sometimes sell privately. They call their females TANA DOMINO and bulls MONTANA DOMINO. I did a quick search and they registered 39 females in 2004, so they could be a source for you.
If you are looking for something different and unique and pretty darn good, here is a tip for you if you want to follow up on it. Let me know if you come up with anything. I owned a cow: http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 122&9=5252
She is sired by a bull called JHT BRAE ARDEN 996. He is linebred Brae Arden. They are tightly bred and he was bred by JH Talbott at Laramie, WY. She was a very good cow and they were range cattle. I don't know what ever happened to the Brae Ardens, but if you can get hold of Talbott he may either have some left or tell you who does. They were horned and tightly linebred. If you click on the 39ths sire, 996, and then on his owner some info on Talbott, and Brae Arden Herefords will come up. There is an email there. If the email is no good you could contact the AHA and see if they have an address or phone number for him on file. I know several years ago he was looking for someone to buy him out due to his age. If I hadn't bought the King Dominos I probably would have pursued the Brae Ardens and it would be nice if someone did try to do something with them. Hope this gives you some ideas.

I teach school to a kid whose Grandpa was one of the cooperative ranchers who bred Prospectors with CSU. They have had Prospector's up to 48% inbred.

What do you want to know about them?

Badlands

Brae Ardens were basically devoid of marbling. They had a few convenience problems as well. Your King Ten's were a better play, John.

The guys with the Prospector's I mentioned above also have the last Tarrington's, and maybe even a few Tiberius left. I don't think their Tarrinton's are straight anymore, though. They are crossed with Tiberius, Prospector's and L1's.

The Havre Line 4's (the Tana Domino's and Montana Dominos) are inbred Line 1's, last I knew the average IBC on the L4's was something around 35%.

Badlands

alexfarms":1wkaf0fb said:
BIZIN":1wkaf0fb said:
There was a Ken Carlson in South Dakota and Lester Nelson in south Dakota, you might see if Mr MacNeil could give you contact info on either of them. There are others too.

I thought Ken had a dispersal sale a few years ago?

user1":3t30fyxu said:
I'm surprised no one mentioned the Ferry Carpenter cattle

They were mentioned, you just didn't recognise the name or didn't make the connection. King Ten is probably the most influential Ferry Carpenter bull.

Your King Ten's were a better play, John.

I also have my opinion on L1, but with such a big genepool and so many breeders breeding that line there is as much variety as you can find in any breed. Ned.Jr breeds L1 cattle that I think will meet most people's needs, get in touch with him.

thanks for the help everyone. you have been a big help, hopefully with all this information i can find exactly what i need. Thank you

sooknortex":141c7e67 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but John uses Line One and King Dominos not King Ten breeding.

King Dominos are originally out of Havre, MT. (I think)

John can probably let us know more.

I don't know of anyone at this time linebreeding to King Ten (the Ferry Carpenter Bull)(Who was actually a linebred FRC Sir1 or was that Viscount 4?)(LOL)

Viscount 4

Latest posts