Prospector Line Breeding???

Help Support CattleToday:

No, you aren't wrong, I am.

I meant "King Domino" in reference to John. I slipped "King Ten" in by mistake.

Badlands

Badlands":2mkpcdu2 said:
No, you aren't wrong, I am.

I meant "King Domino" in reference to John. I slipped "King Ten" in by mistake.

Badlands

Badlands...long time no see. Where have you been?

Seems to me many breeders are positive about lines of Herefords and many are negative about the same lines. So which ones do we take a chance on? Do we breed the lines with the least amount of crticism or maybe the best looking calves? I inquired about purchasing semen from 7558 with no success as I see allot of hidden value. In my opinion, this is one of the few elite Hereford bulls in American history. I also believe it only takes one rare combination of genes from any linebred line to become a leader in a business that relies much on heresay. I also believe a breeder can combine two linebred lines to create more of a unique product. Once the unique breeding idea is conceived and then successfully implemented, the expansion investment funds should knock at your door. By choosing Prospectors, I have the opinion your are close.....in creating a very valuable product....but not quite...they should be combined with another line....still trying to locate the line...however, I am thinking I found another beside Prospector.

If you know where I can locate any semen on FOUR SQ LEONARD 25L (P27523214), I'll use it and let you know how it compares to other bulls that were widly used in the same era. I'll cross it with modern Remitall's, Feltons, or whatever modern cross you'd like to see. Personally, I like the heifer I have out of E Beau Perfect. I also like Robinson's FHF Beau Rollo 33.

Tom Underwood":wft9flx8 said:
If you know where I can locate any semen on FOUR SQ LEONARD 25L (P27523214), I'll use it and let you know how it compares to other bulls that were widly used in the same era. I'll cross it with modern Remitall's, Feltons, or whatever modern cross you'd like to see. Personally, I like the heifer I have out of E Beau Perfect. I also like Robinson's FHF Beau Rollo 33.

I will see what I can do. Is it possible to cross 7558 with 25L (two males)? :mrgreen:

I think I see a way around getting the two original's semen, but it would take years of linebreeding to acquire similar output as the entities themselves. In other words, having the root semen may cost more up front but it might save years of breeding to capture the similar genetic material.

I could start right here:

MSU Prospector is 7558's son:

http://www.reedent.com/reedent/cattle/m ... su508.html

Enforcer 107H is maternal grandson of 25L:
http://www.reedent.com/reedent/cattle/e ... orcer.html

I believe Huth has recently used some 107H on his cattle. I am not a fan of the early 1970's bulls. The genetic changes that occured from 1968-1974 were astounding. I have AI'd to some 1970's bulls, and the results are amazingly inconsistent. I believe that breeders in the last 30-35 years have done a good job of fixing the traits that performance breeders first sought on a broad scale in the 1970's. Therefore, 508 is of little interest to me.

25L, on the other hand, would be fun to use as a sire. I wouldn't mind experimenting a little with 7558. He's bred almost as tight as some of the lines I'm working with.

Tom Underwood":2s64orvs said:
I believe Huth has recently used some 107H on his cattle. I am not a fan of the early 1970's bulls. The genetic changes that occured from 1968-1974 were astounding. I have AI'd to some 1970's bulls, and the results are amazingly inconsistent. I believe that breeders in the last 30-35 years have done a good job of fixing the traits that performance breeders first sought on a broad scale in the 1970's. Therefore, 508 is of little interest to me.

25L, on the other hand, would be fun to use as a sire. I wouldn't mind experimenting a little with 7558. He's bred almost as tight as some of the lines I'm working with.

I hear you Tom. Look at this 1967 model which is still a proven trait leader in 7 out of 15 possible categories. Notice the SC EPD number. As you know, he has the same ancestor in 4 out of 8 possible ancestors going back three generations.

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 245858222E

I think I would like to start experimenting with some antique stuff. Have any recommendations?

I mentioned 7558 in the prior post. I agree that he'd be worth experimenting with.

I'd suggest an ancestor of Online 122L - FHF Beau Rollo 33. Semen is cheap through Jim Reed, and I like the few calves I've had thus far.

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-b...56&5=2B3C2B3C3A&6=5B5C5B25592126222D&9=5E5359

I am partial to bulls that trace back to Beau Perfect 246.

By the way, I like the breeding and look of the Day Zato Tone 943 bull, and I'll likely try to AI some of the Lamplighter cattle to him.

Tom Underwood":wyhlggse said:
I mentioned 7558 in the prior post. I agree that he'd be worth experimenting with.

I'd suggest an ancestor of Online 122L - FHF Beau Rollo 33. Semen is cheap through Jim Reed, and I like the few calves I've had thus far.

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-b...56&5=2B3C2B3C3A&6=5B5C5B25592126222D&9=5E5359

I am partial to bulls that trace back to Beau Perfect 246.

By the way, I like the breeding and look of the Day Zato Tone 943 bull, and I'll likely try to AI some of the Lamplighter cattle to him.
I like the way you think!

Any news on this? Brought this back up to see if anyone done what they said they might do?

I have used the 943 bull but I talked to Tom and he hasn't last time I talked with him.

Latest posts